blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...037&CatId=2510

more than enough for your needs.
Old 07-12-2010 at 08:49 PM   #17
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

Don't buy Acer. Get an Asus or Lenovo, or if you're trying to decide between HP/Tosh. get the Tosh.
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:03 PM   #18
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
Don't buy Acer. Get an Asus or Lenovo, or if you're trying to decide between HP/Tosh. get the Tosh.
You gotta backup your reasoning if you say don't buy a certain product..

I agree Asus is better, but for the stuff required, why spend $700-800 on the laptop?
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:07 PM   #19
changturkey

Because I personally own an Acer and after maybe 1 1/2 years of regular use, the CD drive no longer works, and I think the SD Card slot is on it's way out.
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:34 PM   #20
blackdragon
Elite Member

I don't know whats going on here, lol. Everyone seems to have issues with their laptops.

Instead of bashing a brand, bash your model. Thats probably more helpful to the OP since ruling out big brands like HP and Acer leave not many options since the other manufacturers don't mass produce as much
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:41 PM   #21
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

If you're looking for some good deals for laptops, keep an eye out for some at Staples especially since back to school season is coming up and practically the entire store will have sales. Their extended service plans are pretty kickass, too (your battery is covered!)

adrian likes this.
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:46 PM   #22
changturkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I don't know whats going on here, lol. Everyone seems to have issues with their laptops.

Instead of bashing a brand, bash your model. Thats probably more helpful to the OP since ruling out big brands like HP and Acer leave not many options since the other manufacturers don't mass produce as much
No, but suggesting brands that consistently produce durable products isn't wrong is it? Even if they cost more?
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:48 PM   #23
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
No, but suggesting brands that consistently produce durable products isn't wrong is it? Even if they cost more?
Well, as I said, ive had no issues with my HP, but other have... but I also know people who own an HP/Compaq and have no issues as well, thats why its kind of hard to just say "HP Sucks" when my laptop's pretty solid with a good HDD/ram/gpu
Old 07-12-2010 at 09:49 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I've had no problems with my laptop, Dell Vostro 1510 (discontinued and replaced by 1520). The battery life has been dying after over a year though. It now only lasts 2 hours :\
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:02 PM   #25
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've had no problems with my laptop, Dell Vostro 1510 (discontinued and replaced by 1520). The battery life has been dying after over a year though. It now only lasts 2 hours :\
Yeah I find my battery also lasts about 2hrs :(

you can buy batteries online though, for like $40 bucks
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:27 PM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah I find my battery also lasts about 2hrs :(

you can buy batteries online though, for like $40 bucks
Yeah, bought a bigger battery. Should last quite a while even in the decline. 75$ but holds about 1.5times as much. So theoretically on the decline it should still last 3 hours which is what I'm looking for. Plus if I carry around both batteries I can get even more time.

The decline happened so fast though. My battery initially lasted 5-6 hours and for the longest time it lasted 4-5 hours. Then within a couple weeks it dropped to 2 hours. I couldn't believe it :(
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:34 PM   #27
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, bought a bigger battery. Should last quite a while even in the decline. 75$ but holds about 1.5times as much. So theoretically on the decline it should still last 3 hours which is what I'm looking for. Plus if I carry around both batteries I can get even more time.

The decline happened so fast though. My battery initially lasted 5-6 hours and for the longest time it lasted 4-5 hours. Then within a couple weeks it dropped to 2 hours. I couldn't believe it :(
Maybe you need to calibrate it
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:50 PM   #28
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Maybe you need to calibrate it
I've tried to do that too. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I don't think it's possible to drain the entire battery...
Old 07-12-2010 at 10:52 PM   #29
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I've tried to do that too. Not sure if I'm doing it correctly. I don't think it's possible to drain the entire battery...
Just disable windows from automatically going to sleep/hibernate/off when at x % level
Old 07-12-2010 at 11:57 PM   #30
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I got a Dell Studio 15 myself. Solid laptop. Had it for a year now and haven't had a single problem (software or hardware wise) with it except when I dropped it down some stairs but no laptop could of withstood that anyways lol. My brother on the other hand has an HP Pavillion dv500somthing its battery life has decreased dramatically over the year compared to my Dell Studio. I can get about 3 hrs while his is under 2 hrs maybe less. This is at max settings just browsing the internet.