MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer 2nd year engineering courses jntyrhds Academics 3 11-24-2010 10:29 AM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM
info to transfer to 2nd year commerce John H Academics 2 12-11-2009 04:30 PM
residence 2nd year - transfer student! canyoufindme Residence & Housing 15 11-10-2009 06:58 PM
going into 2nd year but received transfer offer mcmaster12 General Discussion 11 06-16-2009 10:05 PM

Transfer to 2nd year Engineering Physics.

Old 07-12-2015 at 05:44 PM   #1
1yaya44

Liked: 0 Times

Transfer to 2nd year Engineering Physics.
Hi everyone or anyone. I'm going into third year materials Eng and I was just wandering what the odds of transferring from Materials Eng into Eng Physics are. How high should my GPA be in order to be certain of a successful transfer? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-12-2015 at 05:52 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

At this point I'm pretty sure they are done with the whole 2nd year admittance, so you can just contact the eng phys department and ask their academic adviser if they have any sits available.

They shouldn't care about your marks, altho they might.
Old 07-12-2015 at 05:58 PM   #3
1yaya44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
At this point I'm pretty sure they are done with the whole 2nd year admittance, so you can just contact the eng phys department and ask their academic adviser if they have any sits available.

They shouldn't care about your marks, altho they might.
Thanks for your response. Will the academic adviser for Eng Physics be Jeane Hopkins?
Old 07-12-2015 at 06:57 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1yaya44 View Post
Thanks for your response. Will the academic adviser for Eng Physics be Jeane Hopkins?
You know, it's possible. Some departments have their own advisers (like Mechanical Engineering), but Eng Phys isn't big enough, so I think Jeane might be doing the job.

1yaya44 says thanks to GeorgeLucas for this post.
Old 07-12-2015 at 09:50 PM   #5
ralts40(2)
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

Well, it is possible.. You will have a very chill year as well, about 8 courses in 2nd year, and smaller course load in the upcoming year too..

This is my batch, so I can speak of some facts I know.. A friend of mine got in with a 4, so I would say there is space in the program to accomodate you. I am certain that you have fully researched into the program before heading in, as regret after second year, and wanting to switch out to another program will just eat up some valueable time, more importantly than money..

1yaya44 says thanks to ralts40(2) for this post.
Old 07-17-2015 at 05:05 PM   #6
1yaya44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40(2) View Post
Well, it is possible.. You will have a very chill year as well, about 8 courses in 2nd year, and smaller course load in the upcoming year too..

This is my batch, so I can speak of some facts I know.. A friend of mine got in with a 4, so I would say there is space in the program to accomodate you. I am certain that you have fully researched into the program before heading in, as regret after second year, and wanting to switch out to another program will just eat up some valueable time, more importantly than money..
So I got Ds in both physics courses in first year. However I took ENG 2P04 (mechanics), ENG 2MM3 (circuit and magnetism) in materials eng in second year which had advanced topics compared to first year courses Phys 1E03, 1D03. My marks in ENG 2P04, 2MM3 were Bs which are very much better than the Ds I got first year. Is this a valid point on how to convince them that I can perform well in Eng Physics? Any response is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2015 at 10:02 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
So I got Ds in both physics courses in first year. However I took ENG 2P04 (mechanics), ENG 2MM3 (circuit and magnetism) in materials eng in second year which had advanced topics compared to first year courses Phys 1E03, 1D03. My marks in ENG 2P04, 2MM3 were Bs which are very much better than the Ds I got first year. Is this a valid point on how to convince them that I can perform well in Eng Physics? Any response is appreciated.
I can't hurt to try. Why would you let someone's response on here dictate whether or not you try?
Only the department can decide if it's a valid point, while also considering all of the other factors such as space in the program.

1yaya44 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-18-2015 at 06:41 AM   #8
1yaya44

I wrote to the department already but I was just looking for reasonable ideas that I could use to convince them over there on accepting my request. Thanks for your reply though.
Old 07-18-2015 at 12:25 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
I wrote to the department already but I was just looking for reasonable ideas that I could use to convince them over there on accepting my request. Thanks for your reply though.
It's not a matter of having a good enough "argument" to convince them.
The biggest factor is likely whether or not there is space in the program.