MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding timetable codes Limbacker First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-19-2010 07:19 PM
Master Course Timetable down?? DMe3 Academics 2 06-26-2010 09:31 AM
Master Timetable Down?? hellohello Academics 16 06-15-2010 11:11 AM
U of T master timetable??!! queenie Academics 8 03-29-2010 10:54 PM
Master Course Timetable Available! lorend Academics 45 08-07-2008 02:47 PM

Understanding the Master Timetable...

Old 06-23-2009 at 08:08 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

For almost all the courses you will not be able to choose your section. It will do it automatically and then you'll know your schedule on August 11th

You are right when you say that you'll have lecture on Monday and Wednesday because there is only 1 core. You'll be placed in a random tutorial and you can switch tutorials when SOLAR re-opens on the 13th of August.

goodnews.inc, VoyozooT all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:37 PM   #17
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

for psych 1X03... In the description, it says lecture, tutorial, web modules, and discussion/review. What is a web module and is the discussion/review part of the tutorial?

goodnews.inc says thanks to syan9184 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 09:58 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Not sure what they are going to do for the tutorial. Last year we have one but it's not scheduled on the Master Time Table.

A web module is just online lectures.

The discussions and review should happen in both the class and the tutorial. You also get quizzes in the class and assignments in the tutorials. That's how it worked last year, but I have no idea if they changed anything.

goodnews.inc says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:05 PM   #19
syan9184

so overall, when i plan out my courses before the registration date, i should only write down what courses i am going to take only because i cannot decide the time for the classes and tutorials on SOLAR anyways right?

goodnews.inc says thanks to syan9184 for this post.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:08 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Untrue, you should make sure that all your courses can fit in the schedule. If you have conflicts which cannot be fixed then you have a problem.

Old 06-23-2009 at 10:23 PM   #21
syan9184

But even if I did pick a time and day, it wouldn't matter because it is arranged randomly so I won't get the time or day I want.
Old 06-23-2009 at 10:48 PM   #22
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

If you are allowed to pick a section then SOLAR won't change. But if you can't pick a section, which is going to be the majority of the time, then it'll pick the sections for you and you'll get your schedule on the 11th of August.

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:08 PM   #23
syan9184

oh okay~ thanks!
Old 06-24-2009 at 12:53 AM   #24
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Since everyone's been so helpful in my experiences in this community, I'd like to give something back that I hope would be useful.

For those who have read this thread and learned that we are responsible for time slots, and wished we had a schedule planner - there's a brilliant one that works exactly how you'd want it to for this and it's free.

Google Calendar.

You can drag the little boxes you make, so if that Math 1A03 fits better on 3 different days, you can mess around with it and it automatically adjusts.

It's really useful once you play around with it and use the MTT as a guide.

I have 2 Google accounts and if any of you do, you may want to try doing semester 1 on one account, and semester 2 on the other.

That way you don't have tons of papers littering your desk.

It renders nice, organized timetables and the best part is they're easy to manipulate, which means you don't have to deal with filling in all your details at once, getting them wrong and doing it again.

For those of you new to Google Calendar, you can schedule in things like tutorials and labs by clicking "edit details" and specifying the time slot you'd like as typically it allots your events for 1 hour but labs/tutorials are considerably longer.

I hope that was helpful

lorend says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:01 AM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

You can also do the same thing on Excel... Obviously you'll have to put the times and days in yourself though. But with excel you can colour code. Either way is very good. I would recommend using either GCal or Excel. Even though you can make tables in Word, they don't highlight the boxes (only the words) and it's a pain dragging stuff around.

Remember in Excel you can merge cells (and center at the same time). You can also center vertically so the words are right in the center of the cells. You can also text wrap so you don't have extremely long cells.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:24 AM   #26
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Oh and I also wanted to ask if anyone has ever not chosen a certain course in a certain term, or picked option A to B because they felt the latter one ran too late.
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:38 AM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I was going to take Econ 1BB3 in second term this year, but I decided not to because it would mean many classes in a row. I decided to take Biochem 2EE3 instead, which counts towards my degree and doesn't give me so many hours in a row. We'll see if I regret the decision, but I'm looking forward to class ^-^
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:46 AM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I was going to take Econ 1BB3 in second term this year, but I decided not to because it would mean many classes in a row. I decided to take Biochem 2EE3 instead, which counts towards my degree and doesn't give me so many hours in a row. We'll see if I regret the decision, but I'm looking forward to class ^-^
I forgot that people put their names on their profiles and for all this time I had no idea how to address you.

But now I do, Jeremy

Since I have nothing better to do on a Wednesday morning than worry , I rendered 2 possible timetables.

First semester...looks brutal.

2nd semester..makes me very happy.

I'd appreciate your feedback on it and if you'd like me to explain my reasoning, I'd be glad to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Term Rendering.jpg (225.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Second Term Rendering.jpg (222.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:49 AM   #29
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Bio 2EE3 seems interesting. It spans a broad range of subjects and if it's counting toward your degree requirements then that's just another bird with the same stone.
You may have already found it but here's the outline if you'd like

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/bio...tions/2EE3.pdf
Old 06-24-2009 at 01:58 AM   #30
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Yep, I've already done my research on what I need to take. I even have an order of courses to register in.

You have 2 Chem 1A03 tutorials in your schedule.... I'm pretty sure you can just take away the 8:30 Chem 1A03 tutorial. Other than that your term 1 looks very good apart from Monday

Your term 2 also looks very nice, apart from Monday again. I can't deal with 4 hours of listening. But we are all different.

I'm very envious of your schedule Lol