MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM

Upper Year Labour Studies

Old 07-30-2012 at 10:54 PM   #1
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

Upper Year Labour Studies
Can any upper year labour studies students gimme a run down for second year courses. Particularly 2A03 and 2C03? The course review section is completely devoid of them
Old 07-30-2012 at 11:55 PM   #2
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

2A03

I found this class was a lot of repeat information from previous labour studies courses and any real life union/work experience will definitely help. The test/midterm and the final were generally short answer but more like short essay and you better know your stuff but its not difficult to figure out what the content will be. I found the essay was very easy as long as you follow the instructions and speak to the TA who will be marking it directly about the expectations.

Your experience in this class will entirely depend on your group and group work plays a large role in your mark. Groups and topics (union/committee) were assigned and you will have to deal what you get. Some situations are better than others and you will also be expected to interact with other groups and you will have to present in front of the class in the union convention simulation. This class is far different from anything else in first or second year in a good way. It is not hard but you will have to work at it. For what its worth I got an 11 and blew the midterm but my group was good as far as us all being on the same page though the work distribution was not even.

2C03

I'm going to assume that this course broke a lot of second year averages from the marking grids I remember. The midterm and final were based on readings/videos and often compared one too another so if you don't do the all readings you are screwed. If you don't write fast you are screwed. If you skip the films your screwed.

This class had a lot of reading and a lot of information and often seemed to jump all over the place as far as topics go. Thankfully, the essays don't require any outside sources beyond the assigned readings. All you have to do is find the themes and connect the dots. I found them pretty easy and the structure was the same for both.

This class also had bonus marks for attending speakers around campus or attending labour events. You could get five marks or a full grade for going and writing a page reflection or summary. Most of the events and speakers are things labour studies students should be attending anyways so its really easy marks. I managed a 12 in this class even with blowing the midterm but the bonus marks saved me.

Hope that helps and if you need anything else just ask. Of course it means little if the profs change and I know the course titles changed so the structure might have as well.

Con19 says thanks to darkstar for this post.
Old 07-31-2012 at 12:14 PM   #3
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

Wow thanks so much. Really thorough review, appreciate it!