MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thesis Supervisor from another department? MariaQ Academics 4 03-04-2013 05:39 PM
Can't find a thesis supervisor jezebel Academics 7 04-04-2012 09:13 PM
Finding A Thesis or Research Project Supervisor jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 7 01-23-2011 12:05 AM
finding a thesis supervisor sanju Academics 0 01-22-2011 10:25 PM
Finding a thesis supervisor Lois Academics 3 05-28-2010 10:04 PM

Urgent! Difficulty finding a supervisor for PhD in Biology

Old 04-01-2014 at 11:39 PM   #1
smarvast

Liked: 0 Times

Urgent! Difficulty finding a supervisor for PhD in Biology
Hello,

I had applied to the PhD biology program ( molecular biology) a couple of months a go. I was recently notified that my application was eligible for the program. The problem is I have contacted all the profs whose research was of my intereset but they either did not reply or said they were not accepting new students.
I have a master degree from university of Ottaw and about 2 years of work experience in the same field with very good references. I do not understand why no one gives me a chance to have a meeting with them so I can show them how confident and knowledgeable I am. This is getting really frustrating!
Any one has had a similar experinece, or whoever can give me a piece of advice or suggestion? Higly appreciated!
Old 04-01-2014 at 11:57 PM   #2
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

My experience was with the undergrad thesis but maybe it'll help.

Just ask the professor and if they say they dont have room, they dont. Look at other profs or at different schools. Otherwise keep bugging them though they might not appreciate it.

Good luck!

smarvast says thanks to Atheist? for this post.
Old 04-02-2014 at 09:38 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

This is primarily a forum for undergrad students so not many people here will have gone through a similar situation - like the previous poster, my experience is with finding an undergrad thesis supervisor. Some profs get so many emails per day that they either completely miss or don't have time to deal with one from you. You could try calling them. As for the other profs, if there is no room in their lab, then it doesn't matter how great your application is; you're just applying at the wrong time for them.
You could try expanding your query to other profs in the bio department, or also different schools.

smarvast says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 04-02-2014 at 11:08 AM   #4
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

if you're into molecular bio why not try the biochem department? they are part of FHS and have nicer facilities anyways.

smarvast says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 04-03-2014 at 12:12 AM   #5
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

I hope you're able to find a supervisor, but considering that you're applying to a PhD program, you really should have had the foresight to contact potential supervisors earlier in the application process just to get some dialogue going even prior to getting accepted to the program.