MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When do we buy books? and where do you get your list of what books to buy? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-21-2010 08:14 PM
In Need of BOOKS! snair General Discussion 4 09-09-2009 12:57 PM
Books mmal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-29-2009 11:58 PM
Books in PDF sycoman Academics 2 09-01-2008 12:07 AM

Used Books

Old 08-12-2008 at 10:06 AM   #1
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Used Books
Hey guys,

Im new to macinsiders and i need some help. Im wondering how much i should be paying for used books ?(like what percent of the the orignal price). Also, the editions for the bio1m03 books have changed from last year, does it really make a huge difference if i buy a books with an older edition?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2008 at 10:11 AM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

First off, I'd really recommend waiting until your first day of classes before you buy the books! Just because the profs might have something to say or they might have changed editions..

As for %age discounts, it varies.. I was able to get up to 50% off my books when I bought them used. Sometimes, it might only be 20%. It depends on how expensive the book was originally and where you're finding this used book (ie used at titles might be different then used from a student).

As for the bio book, I cannot say for sure as this is the first year these are coming out. Also, they've changed the names of the first year sci courses. Last year it used to be Bio1A03... So, I'm thinking maybe the way they teach the course could be different too.
Old 08-12-2008 at 10:24 AM   #3
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I dont think they changed the bio courses as im also going to be taking bio1A03 second term. Im not sure if you guys had 1m03 last year or not. But i know they changed some of the other science courses.

Do you think its a good idea to wait till the start of classes to buy books, wouldnt it be hard to find someone who is selling them at that time?

The reason im asking this is becuase im getting a good deal from a student rite now and dont want to stand in lines later on.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:12 AM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

If you're getting a good deal it might be worth it. But it definitely won't be hard to find someone wanting to sell their books. Ask your welcome week reps!!
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:25 AM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

bio 1m03 is = bio1aa3 but some parts is different i think like the labs and tutorials seem a bit different..
which could be for the better. those labs were stupid.
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:12 PM   #6
sidraH

Liked: 0 Times

guys just a quick question...where do u find a list of all ur books? i'm in life sci n i can't seem to find a list of all the books i will need...
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:16 PM   #7
dragonfly

Liked: Liked 2 Times

There's a list here:
http://titles.mcmaster.ca/text/departments.htm

Look under the department the class is in, and then click on the course code.

It's recommended to wait until the first day of class to buy your books so you can find out what you'll actually need or if there's been some changes

sidraH says thanks to dragonfly for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 12:32 PM   #8
sidraH

Thank you!
Old 08-13-2008 at 08:38 AM   #9
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
bio 1m03 is = bio1aa3 but some parts is different i think like the labs and tutorials seem a bit different..
which could be for the better. those labs were stupid.
OMG They were sooooooooooooooooo stupid. The stupid plant and animal ones in particular. There was no real reason to be going to them... and I learned absolutely NOTHING. What a waste of the many hours of my time I took copying down my partners information for the lab test...
Old 08-13-2008 at 09:52 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Useful article:

Used Books = Save Money!
Old 08-13-2008 at 01:53 PM   #11
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

haha yes totally stupid! i was the type of people which wasn't alot. that actually spent hours in the stupid lab trying to copy everything down!! and then my friends would copy from me.. i was paranoid of the lab test and was scared casue they can ask SO MUCH stuff. lol. at least i did really well on the lab test , if not, i would be super angry!
i hope they change it and make it more educational..we all know how to copy stuff. lol.
Old 08-22-2009 at 08:25 PM   #12
tamneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycoman View Post
Hey guys,

Im new to macinsiders and i need some help. Im wondering how much i should be paying for used books ?(like what percent of the the orignal price). Also, the editions for the bio1m03 books have changed from last year, does it really make a huge difference if i buy a books with an older edition?

Thanks
Definitely wait until your first day of class. The prof usually goes over the course description and will tell you if you need the textbook/courseware or not. Definitely consider buying it from an upper year for a cheaper price. In my first year I didn't know many upper years and met a couple of them in Titles who offered to sell me their books for cheap. Try to utilize the Marketplace on Facebook where you may be able to find used books.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:38 PM   #13
lilpups

i'm wondering if the book edition matters?
say i need biochem 4th edition .. it wouldn't make a big difference if i buy the 3rd right?
or would you recommend buying the 4th?
thankz
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:44 PM   #14
syaseen
Elite Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpups View Post
say i need biochem 4th edition .. it wouldn't make a big difference if i buy the 3rd right?
thankz
Its always best to buy the listed edition. However most of the time all that changes with the edition is the order and question #'s. To be sure if you can use it ask your prof.
Old 08-29-2009 at 10:53 PM   #15
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpups View Post
thankz

In most cases, it doesn't. You can save a lot of money buying an older edition used when the content is essentially the same.

Especially for first year math and chem, organic chemistry.

Make sure you check with the professor (e-mail them) to see if it's okay.