MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to save money going home for the Thanksgiving Weekend cjordan The Secret Files 1 10-02-2010 08:49 PM
Save money on textbooks: save for later lorend Academics 3 01-30-2010 03:43 PM
Poll: Save textbook money with online PDFs? Alborz Academics 24 01-12-2010 10:32 PM
MacInsiders Helping You to Save Money! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-11-2009 11:16 AM

Used Books = Save Money!

Old 09-15-2008 at 12:07 PM   #16
Athena

Liked: 0 Times

hey everyone, I am also selling some first year textbooks as well for very reasonable prices so check them out to save some money

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?p=3823 9
Old 07-13-2009 at 08:55 AM   #17
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

i will recommend using mac-central, mac insiders, facebook and titles student classifed to find used books. and it will be best to wait a few days before buying your book as some ppl drop courses and such.
you can also use amazon, they offer free shiping and the books are sometimes cheaper than the new books in titles.
but it sometimes can be a lot of work to find used books, especialy if its a non-popular course. but the savings is worth it!!!

daisy says thanks to dacrown4life for this post.
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:01 AM   #18
dacrown4life
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
hey. i'm ont sure where you checked the booklist from. The titles booklist for the 2008-2009 school year is out on Aug 11. the one that is on the website now is for the summer. Although many of them might not have changed for this upcoming school term, it might and that's something to be aware about. Optional materials, generally you don' tneed them. for some of hte courses its just books with extra questions, etc. or there might be a chapter in it that your professor is teaching from. Sometimes, the textbook might be on the course reserve of the library, so if you need to look at it, you can borrow it from there. Generally, i never buy optional material. if it was really necessary, it would be "required"
I will also agree with EVA. you will never use the optional book, since you barely have time to use the required books and the prof dont even refer to them. they mostly use required books. a lot of first year courses have optional materials because i guess they feel you might need more resources. and you can always borrow them from the library if you think ull need it.
or i mostly use google/wikipedia, if my textbook and lecture notes dont make sense
Old 07-13-2009 at 09:27 AM   #19
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The book list will be available August 17th this year in case no one knew yet, I just found out myself.

goodnews.inc, jhan523, lankan_4lif, stevennn, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to feonateresa for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:00 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Ooh sounds good ! Will it also say what edition and such? And is it subject to change once shcool starts- the books used thatits, or even some of them?
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:05 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Ooh sounds good ! Will it also say what edition and such? And is it subject to change once shcool starts- the books used thatits, or even some of them?
Thanks!
Yes, it will state the edition as well as the isbn. So you can use both to make sure you have the right book.

I really doubt it will change once school starts. It's the professor that chooses what book to use, so unless the professor completely changes his course, which is VERY unlikely, the book will stay the same.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 01:05 PM   #22
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Thanks!
It will say edition and other info.
It doesn't change usually. None of the books have changed for me...

~*Sara*~ says thanks to FireDragoonX for this post.
Old 07-14-2009 at 02:02 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
It will say edition and other info.
It doesn't change usually. None of the books have changed for me...
After 1st/2nd year, all the books changed edition for me :p

Sometimes, edition doesn't matter - especially for calculus and chemistry books as the content doesn't change. It's the same content, shuffled around and a nicer cover. I've double checked this with the math 1a03/1aa3 books and chem 2OA3/2OB3 books.

Double check with the professor to see if an older edition is acceptable prior to buying it. You can save a ton of money by purchasing an older edition. It may be more difficult to sell back (titles won't accept it and other students may be hesitant to purchase it).

~*Sara*~ says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-17-2009 at 03:27 AM   #24
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I have so many commerce books from my 3 years... also french and Art history ones... msg me if anyone needs them. I never thought to sell them before
Old 07-17-2009 at 07:22 AM   #25
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
I have so many commerce books from my 3 years... also french and Art history ones... msg me if anyone needs them. I never thought to sell them before
Really? Well get on that! You can try selling them here at MacInsiders: http://www.macinsiders.com/sr_classifieds.php

Or try Facebook. Lurk on it's marketplace, or check out McMaster groups and whatnot.

You can also try Undercovers (Basement of MUSC) at Mac, or selling it back to Titles - but Titles are sort of like cheapskates.
Old 07-17-2009 at 02:10 PM   #26
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

And during the first week of school too! While everyone's looking around for used textbooks .
Old 08-19-2013 at 09:53 PM   #27
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Discussion reopened for 2013.

Don't buy textbooks before classes start unless you're buying them from the bookstore. IF you're buying used textbooks from the bookstore then go a bit early because yes... used textbooks are limited stock on the shelves so they go first since they are cheaper to buy. Once all the used ones are gone, you'll have no choice but to buy the new book at significantly higher cost if you need to buy the latest version from the bookstore.

HOWEVER... if the textbook in your book list isn't requiring the NEWEST version (some textbooks come out in 2013 and are newer versions with different rearranged pages, so you need the new textbook to follow along properly in classes with the right page numbers, etc). While most classes will allow the use of an older textbook that you can buy USED off a student that already took the course. In this situation... BUY IT FROM A STUDENT. You'll save way more money buying it second hand directly from a student.
Old 10-14-2016
Bakabaki
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 11-14-2016 at 01:47 AM   #28
courtneyjohn

Liked: 0 Times

Books
There is actuality high-quality motivation to buy a sort used books, shrink-wrapped workbook. if not your lecturer requires a textbook that was just available a year since, you should be capable to find a second-hand book online..