MacInsiders Logo

Using newest edition textbooks for Biol 1M03 and 1A03?

Old 01-11-2011 at 11:09 PM   #1
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Using newest edition textbooks for Biol 1M03 and 1A03?
How important is it to use the latest edition texts for Bio 1M03 and 1A03? I'm in second year and if I used an older textbook last year it didn't seem to matter much, but I already bought my books for these courses and they were the ones used last year. The profs just seem to really be pushing for the latest editions and I'm wondering if they get cuts or something.. Just hoping someone has a bit of advice or is willing to share a similar experience.

Thanks

Last edited by lizziemcg : 01-11-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2011 at 11:13 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemcg View Post
How important is it to use the latest edition texts for Bio 1M03 and 1A03? I'm in second year and if I used an older textbook last year it didn't seem to matter much, but I already bought my books for these courses and they were the ones used last year. The profs just seem to really be pushing for the latest editions and I'm wondering if they get cuts or something.. Just hoping someone has a bit of advice or are willing to share a similar experience.

Thanks
If you're talking about Kaj, she DID help write it, and is on very good terms with the author...

I doubt its a huge issue, essp since you already have the books.
Old 01-11-2011 at 11:13 PM   #3
lizziemcg

Liked: 7 Times

Yep, I am lol
Thanks
Old 01-11-2011 at 11:15 PM   #4
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I took both 1A03 and 1M03 in the Fall term and I used the 3rd edition (not even the special McMaster edition). Having compared mine with a friend who had the newest editions, the only difference I found was the McMaster edition had 1 or 2 " case studies" per chapter. But keep in mind these case studies were never referred to by the profs. Otherwise, the text was word for word the same.
Old 01-11-2011 at 11:46 PM   #5
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

I believe Dr. Kajiura mentioned that the new BIO 1A03/1M03 textbooks include Canadian Research sections that are not found in the older textbooks. She talked a lot about these topics in class.
Old 01-12-2011 at 10:02 AM   #6
Elliott779

Liked: 35 Times

I took 1A03 last semester, and used the 2nd edition (I got it for $2!) And it did me just fine. The only difference I found was the aforementioned "Canadian Content", which probably totalled about 3 or 4 pages of the textbook.

I just borrowed a friends and read those 4 pages. Then gave it back.

*EDIT*

And Kajuira *definitely* gets a cut from the sales of the "Canadian Content" edition one, thats probably why she pushes it so hard

justinsftw likes this.