MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Valentines Day/Singles Awareness Day! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 50 02-16-2011 02:39 PM
Brandon hall - singles with washrooms? Mac12 Brandon Hall Forum 3 07-08-2008 03:11 PM
Happy Valentines MacInsiders! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-13-2007 10:16 PM

Valentines day 2012 (Singles only)

Old 02-07-2012 at 02:11 PM   #1
Schleifer_1

Liked: 17 Times

Valentines day 2012 (Singles only)
Valentines day is coming up, and for people in relationships, this is a day to spend with your significant other. I'm not interested in hearing from those people. I want to know what all the single people out there have planned for Valentines day 2012, and what the 14th day of February means to those who have not been struck by cupid's arrow.
Are you planning on celebrating your independence?
Is Valentines day a day of mourning for failed relationships?
Do you plan on drinking a toast to your unrestricted lifestyle?
Or are you going to drown your loneliness in a pool of alcohol?
Do you think Valentines day is a day of love?
Or do you think Valentines day is an excuse for companies to sell cards, flowers and candy?
Are you concerned about Valentines day at all?
Are you completely indifferent?
What, if anything, are you planning on doing?
Post your thoughts, opinions, concerns and ideas. Feel free to vent your feelings. Be honest, and be supportive.
(And if you are in a relationship, and feel the need to post, avoid flaunting your relationship. This is a thread for singles, and talking about your relationship may just put salt in some people's wounds.)
Old 02-07-2012 at 02:50 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I feel that Valentine's Day when you're single is a bit like being around several people when they're celebrating a holiday that you're not. But that's just me personally. If I was around several people celebrating Diwali, which I myself personally do not, but millions of people do, I am fairly neutral. I am happy for them, but at this point in my life, it is not something that I am actively celebrating (if I move to a house full of people who celebrate Diwali next year, this may change as it is directly impacting me somehow) so I'm a bit less involved the process. Good deals on VDay candy the day after.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-07-2012 at 02:59 PM   #3
jewfro9000

Liked: Liked 19 Times

this valentines i have a hot date... with my 2zz3 math test
/engineering

jon.john23 says thanks to jewfro9000 for this post.

Old 02-07-2012 at 03:18 PM   #4
andrea_18

Liked: 4 Times

Valentine's day is way overdone.... I mean of couse it would be nice to have a valentine but to me it's not a big deal. I feel like your special someone should acknowledge they love you all the time! Being single doesn't bother me at all. Besides if you can't be happy just with friends, there's something wrong with you. I'm happy for all those who are in a relationship and they can enjoy it. For me, I'm happy and life is great right now. I just move on like the calendar does. Normally I'd probably hang out with some friends, just have some fun but this year I have interviews and lots of studying with my name on it. happy valentines day homework :(

alyssarr, icecubz like this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 04:25 PM   #5
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times

Valentine's Day is my mom's birthday, so that's what it really means to me and that's who I spend it with.

I do think it is overdone with advertising/consuming, but I have no major problem with it. It can be sweet to exchange chocolates or a small gift if you have a significant other to show your affection, but you can do that any time of the year without a certain day telling you to. Overall I don't feel like I'm missing out on something because I'm single, it's just not a big deal to me.

AngieC, drpatel, icecubz like this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 04:38 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

<3

Old 02-07-2012 at 04:42 PM   #7
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

I think Valentines Day for single people can probably be one of the happiest times to be single, despite what mass media would like us to think. I for one am going to enjoy spending time doing things alone that I wouldn't have time for if I had a significant other, I'll probably buy my favorite food, watch my favorite show and listen to my favorite music.

This isn't to say that you can't do these things with someone else, as sharing is important for human beings, but individuality is something to be celebrated just as much as intimacy.

I think a lot of couples are a lot more self-aware when it comes to Valentines Day too, as the media has bred these horribly unreal expectations for couples to meet, obviously there'll still be prissy individuals that complain that their V-Day didn't go perfectly, but we're a lot less accepting of these kinds of people nowadays in my opinion.

alyssarr, AngieC, icecubz like this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 06:37 PM   #8
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I'm in a relationship and I think Valentine's Day is pretty stupid but it's honestly so annoying when people go on facebook and their status is like full of swearing and hating on it. It really shouldn't affect people that much.
Old 02-07-2012 at 06:50 PM   #9
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Vday's pretty useless, you ought to treat your significant other nicely every day of the year, not just on some random obscure date. =/

and if you're single, oh well. I've spent many a Vday alone. Who cares?

So for couples vday is treat your other like royalty because society said so

and for singles, it's an excuse to btich about all the other happy people and watch romcoms in your room alone while crying and eating half your weight in chocolate

Old 02-07-2012 at 07:13 PM   #10
DragonBorn

Liked: 13 Times

I'm man enough to admit I usually try to stay as much indoors as possible on Valentine's Day because I find it so depressing.

AngieC likes this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 07:26 PM   #11
Rstevenson

Liked: 25 Times

Oh its great when you are in a relationship, sucks when you arent.
Old 02-07-2012 at 07:28 PM   #12
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Is being indifferent an option?

Meh - married/single/taken/commited/open relationship - still meh

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 07:44 PM   #13
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Just do what I always do, nothing different.

akeludjian, Desda like this.
Old 02-07-2012 at 10:05 PM   #14
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

“Even after all this time the Sun never says to the Earth,

"You owe me."

Look what happens with a love like that, It lights the whole sky.”
Old 02-07-2012 at 10:43 PM   #15
lux

Liked: 318 Times

Oh how i miss the days when a simple Ninja Turtles card would suffice...and would merely represent a cherished friendship. Now that we're older V-day has to be about feelings, and mushy stuff, gross....