MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-15-2011 at 05:45 PM   #1
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

Varsity Commitment
I was wondering what the time commitment is like, with regards to practice, games, travel time to tournaments, for the men's varsity fencing team?
Also, if you take a beginner course and are interested in going to play on the team, will you be accepted automatically or do you have to tryout?
Thanks

jordan18 likes this.
Old 05-15-2011 at 05:58 PM   #2
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

also if some one can answer the same question but for soccer team
Old 05-15-2011 at 07:47 PM   #3
Kailoli

Liked: 10 Times

Hey! It's awesome that you're interested in fencing, it's a pretty fly sport -totally not biased-

We generally have three practices and a private lesson day per week, with a required attendance of two practices per week, unless you have numerous night classes. The lesson day is also a required day of the coaches wish for your presence. If there is one thing you do not want to skip, it's the lessons since you learn a lot and you may be warned, suspended or even kicked off the team if you miss it without prior reason of absence.

Practices are held from Mondays to Wednesdays - 8:00pm-10:00pm and lessons anywhere from 8:00pm-10:30pm on Thursdays.

Our 'games' are held strictly in tournament form. We usually fence in Ottawa, St. Catharines, Toronto and Kitchener (of course there are more city's but it is generally within Ontario unless you sign up for Tournaments in the States), so about a 1.5-five hour drive from Hamilton. They are only held on the weekends so it won't conflict with classes. We do a lot of community work throughout the year, so keep that in mind too. It's a bit of a commitment but it keeps you healthy and you meet wonderful people!

And yeppers, if you participate in the classes, you will be automatically taken onto the team if you express a wish to do so, that's how I got on the team Sabre is the best weapon btw, keep that in mind

Of course, this is what has happened in the last two years I've been on the team, anything I have said is subject to change

Unfortunately, I don't know about Soccer, bon chance!

jordan18 says thanks to Kailoli for this post.
Old 05-16-2011 at 10:35 PM   #4
Gooners

Liked: 1 Time

for soccer its very intense, we have practises everynight and games on the weekends. we do this from august to november. when we do make the playoffs it the same sched except a game a week. During training camp its two practises a day for 2-3 weeks...u eventually get used to it
Old 05-16-2011 at 11:41 PM   #5
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Gooner, I'm interested in soccer too. Is there an open try-out this summer? When would it be held? How is the team looking so far?
Old 05-17-2011 at 10:09 AM   #6
Gooners

yea there is an open tryout on the 15th of august, email the coach tho that your interested. The tryouts take place in the stadium. and so far the team looks very promising, we have some very high end recruits coming in, two or three play for the national team. we came off our most succesful regular season last year and the year before we won the OUA and went to nationals
Old 05-17-2011 at 10:11 AM   #7
Gooners

but be prepared to manage your time well, because once your on the team, you wont have time to party till the season is done, your basically managing time between school and soccer
Old 05-17-2011 at 12:00 PM   #8
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Thanks, just emailed the coach now. How long does try-out go for? I don't think I can make it on the 15th, I will be at a vacation but will be back by the 24th. Would the try-out still be held at that time or no?
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:18 PM   #9
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Does anybody know anything about the baseball team?
Old 05-17-2011 at 08:22 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
Does anybody know anything about the baseball team?
http://www.marauders.ca/index.aspx?p... &tab=baseball

J. Dorey says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-02-2011 at 03:28 PM   #11
decada

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailoli View Post
Hey! It's awesome that you're interested in fencing, it's a pretty fly sport -totally not biased-

We generally have three practices and a private lesson day per week, with a required attendance of two practices per week, unless you have numerous night classes. The lesson day is also a required day of the coaches wish for your presence. If there is one thing you do not want to skip, it's the lessons since you learn a lot and you may be warned, suspended or even kicked off the team if you miss it without prior reason of absence.

Practices are held from Mondays to Wednesdays - 8:00pm-10:00pm and lessons anywhere from 8:00pm-10:30pm on Thursdays.

Our 'games' are held strictly in tournament form. We usually fence in Ottawa, St. Catharines, Toronto and Kitchener (of course there are more city's but it is generally within Ontario unless you sign up for Tournaments in the States), so about a 1.5-five hour drive from Hamilton. They are only held on the weekends so it won't conflict with classes. We do a lot of community work throughout the year, so keep that in mind too. It's a bit of a commitment but it keeps you healthy and you meet wonderful people!

And yeppers, if you participate in the classes, you will be automatically taken onto the team if you express a wish to do so, that's how I got on the team Sabre is the best weapon btw, keep that in mind

Of course, this is what has happened in the last two years I've been on the team, anything I have said is subject to change

Unfortunately, I don't know about Soccer, bon chance!
Fencing sounds really cool, I'll definitely join the classes and hopefully the varsity team. I heard that the fencing classes are held every tuesday night, but I have a night class every tuesday Are the classes held on any other days? Also, how many months are the classes for and when does the varsity team training begin? Thanks
Old 07-02-2011 at 04:49 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

About fencing, I've always wanted to try it but never really got the chance. Do the classes include beginners as well or do you need some background experience beforehand?
Old 07-03-2011 at 09:45 PM   #13
Megan11

Does anyone know what a commitment to the track team would be like?
Old 07-03-2011 at 11:22 PM   #14
Olga K

How about swimming, I heard that they have practicestves a day 7 days a week , and realisticly, what are the chances of someone who never swam competitive (only high school) to make the team?
Old 07-03-2011 at 11:27 PM   #15
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan11 View Post
Does anyone know what a commitment to the track team would be like?
4 days a week 5-7pm. You don't really have to attend all of them though. Thursday is basically a mobility/ "core" day. Mon and wed are the intense days (sprints etc). Tuesday is a tempo day. Lasts october-ish to Feb/March. Competitions start in january till whenever. If you qualify for everything, you can go up to april. Otherwise, february. I only went to monday and wed usually because I had bad shin splints and the low volume was better than the larger volume tempo days.

Megan11 says thanks to andrewjdg for this post.