MacInsiders Logo
Viva La Cuba!

By:NIKOLAI MAK, MACINSIDERS

Summer is finally here and many people are planning or have already planned a nice getaway trip to paradise. A lot of people choose to go to Europe and explore cities such as London, Paris, Prague, Venice and Vienna. These trips are definitely awesome and the cities are a must see, but with prices being what they are, not everyone can afford these kinds of vacations. Living in Canada we are unbelievably close to an amazing area of the world that makes for a perfect getaway destination. Yes, I am talking about the Caribbean Islands and more specifically Cuba!

Recharging your batteries before the next school year is very important and what better way to do it then to go to Cuba! Cuba has everything you could ever want; from snorkeling and swimming with dolphins to guided tours of tobacco factories. Days are spent on a beautiful white sandy beach with a bar 2 minutes away serving you the coolest cocktails you could possibly imagine. The nightlife is very lively with salsa, meringue and rumba filling the air all around you. All this can be found pretty much anywhere amongst tourist destinations in Cuba, but my favorite two are Varadero (more student/party oriented) and Holguin (more family oriented).

When you leave the airport you enter a whole new world where poverty is redefined. If you have not been in true poverty before then this may be a bit of a shock to you due to the fact that you will mainly see the Cuban countryside along with lots of farmers and very poor living conditions. If you go outside your hotel and interact with these people and treat them equally then you will see that they are very friendly and down to earth kind of people and it really does not matter that they speak Spanish and you speak English. As long as you don’t act like a snob (many British tourists are a great example of this), you’re guaranteed to make friends with the locals.

Students:
Many students brought fancy clothes and huge suitcases full of useless things, but the reality is that you don’t really get to put all that attire on. All you need with you are: bathroom supplies, swimming apparel and something to dine in. Sunglasses along with sunscreen are very useful accessories to have with you because I found the sun to merciless.

Another thing is that most students choose to stay at the resort for the entire week; therefore I suggest bringing a deck of cards or something to entertain yourself with on the beach. You can also join the activities that the staff plans out for you such as beach volleyball, billiards tournaments, bingo etc.

Families:
A vacation with your family will most likely mean a tour or two to get to know the surrounding areas and attractions that are available. If you are in Varadero, there is a neat tour that takes you to Havana (a must see) and shows you all the beautiful buildings as well as the history behind them. If you go to Holguin, then you can take a tour where for a certain price you get to swim with dolphins. Every part of Cuba has something special for you to visit.

Snorkeling is a completely different story. For everyone who loves wildlife and wants to fully experience, then snorkeling is a must do. I mean, it’s not as great as some of the destinations you would find around Australia, but for the average person, it’s a once in a lifetime experience. There are catamaran tours offered that take you out into the ocean and allow you to explore a coral reef environment for a good 2 hours. Personally I find this time limit very annoying so I just take a pedal boat and go to the reef myself.

For a price of anywhere from $600 to $1200 per person the above listed activities are a great way to relax and take your minds off things. Due to the relatively cheap prices, last minute deals and bang for your buck, Cuba is the perfect vacation spot for a stressed out student. I personally recommend visiting either Oasis Brisas Del Caribe (Varadero) or Sol Rio De Luna y Mares (Holguin). If you want to swim in an ocean that’s almost boiling, if you want to party until 5 a.m., if you want to get a beautiful tan and if you have some spare money, then Cuba is definitely the place for you.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-06-2008 at 07:10 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
If only I could go on vacation this summer. *sigh*. I'd love to go to Cuba again, especially now since I understand the political climate there. I went when I was ten...so I didn't really know what was going on.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-07-2008 at 12:22 AM   #3
laurastevens
Faculty: Humanities
Year: Fourth

Liked: 2 Times
Also, I heard that if you are going to Cuba, you should bring some things to leave behind such as:

- pencils (students only get one pencil for 2 months)
- school supplies (notebooks, calculators . . . anything really)
- soap
- analgesics (ibuprofen/aspirin)
- gently used clothing (pants/tops/shoes/hats
- toothpaste
- deoderant
- feminine products
- band-aids
- shoes
- dictionaries and learn to speak english books

All this stuff is readily available to us, but is really expensive and needed over there.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools