MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Teacher's College Info Sessions lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 10-26-2010 02:35 PM
Homestead Volunteer Info Session Anna G Clubs & Groups 0 09-27-2010 08:17 PM
AIESEC McMaster Info Sessions sytchoj Clubs & Groups 0 01-08-2010 03:16 PM
KIDS HELP PHONE: Volunteer Info Session! Annie Clubs & Groups 0 02-25-2009 05:52 PM
Residence Rep Info Sessions lorend MacInsiders Announcements 5 01-27-2008 01:33 PM

Volunteer this summer :) AMAZING experience - INFO SESSIONS NOW

Old 11-04-2010 at 02:12 AM   #1
gynmac

Liked: 1 Time

Volunteer this summer :) AMAZING experience - INFO SESSIONS NOW
Hey first years (and anyone else!)!

Any of you really interested in volunteering abroad this summer and learning about SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES, NEW CULTURES, and YOURSELF? I promise you, this is the perfect experience!

If you have ANY questions don't hesitate to shoot me an email [email protected] ink.mcmaster.ca

- Mike

INFORMATION SESSIONS THIS WEEK

Global Youth Network
is recruiting 5 teams travelling to different countries this May 2011 for cross-cultural volunteer experiences.

CONNECT WITH YOUR WORLD!

Here are a list of the countries we will be traveling to along with the social justice issue we will be focusing on:
Cambodia - education
Bolivia - eco-lodge, environmentalism
Thailand- Medical
Brazil - Indigenous
Macedonia/Kosovo - working with marginalized roma community
GENERAL INFO SESSION TIMES:
Monday November 1st 7.30 pm (MUSC 311)
Tuesday November 2nd 8.30 pm (MUSC 224)
Wednesday November 3rd 7.00 pm (MUSC 224)
Thursday November 4th 5.30 pm (MUSC 224)
Monday November 8th 6.30 pm (MUSC 224)
Global Youth Network is an international, grass-roots organization working to educate and mobilize young people towards making positive change.

Our philosophy embodies the understanding that relationships are the foundation to faith, justice and community. With Global Youth Network you will have the opportunity to volinteer for one month in a different country and be immersed in a new and exciting culture while learning about important social justice issuses people are faced with. Through these experiences, we aim to empower young people and communities in Canada and abroad.

Our four areas of focus are: Homelessness and Displacement; Health and Well Being; Indigenous Solidarity; and Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery.

Come out to our info sessions and learn how you can travel to an amazing country, meet great people and get involved in important issues!! It's an AMAZING experience!!The trips generally take place in May and last a month

You can find us at:
twitter: gynmac
www.myglobalyouthnetw ork.org
email: [email protected] hnetwork.org

Join our Facebook group! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6896204 457

If you can't make it out the info session just let us know and we'll be happy to fill you in on all the info! Hope to see you all there!

Last edited by gynmac : 11-04-2010 at 02:16 AM.

mkozi likes this.
Old 11-05-2010 at 02:40 AM   #2
gynmac

Can't attend a session but interested? EMAIL ME We will be in the student center next week, look out for us...!
Old 11-05-2010 at 08:49 AM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Hmm, I'll check this out. Seems very intriguing.
Old 11-06-2010 at 09:59 AM   #4
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Sounds interesting
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:32 PM   #5
gynmac

One more information session Monday! See you guys there!!!
Old 11-08-2010 at 02:32 PM   #6
gynmac

Today Is The Last Session!!!!
Old 11-08-2010 at 05:12 PM   #7
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Apparently it's like $3000 :(
Old 11-08-2010 at 05:25 PM   #8
Naml
Account Disabled by User

You have to pay so much money to volunteer. You could go in a vacation to those places with a good hotel and and good food for a lot less money.
The money factor isn't gonna attract many people.
Old 11-08-2010 at 05:53 PM   #9
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

I'm not paying that much money just to volunteer.
Old 11-08-2010 at 09:45 PM   #10
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Volunteering locally is a better option IMO.

jo87, sinthusized, syan9184 like this.
Old 11-09-2010 at 03:05 PM   #11
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
Volunteering locally is a better option IMO.
Yeah probably lol. If it pops up during an interview, I'll just tell them I couldn't afford it.
Old 11-09-2010 at 07:20 PM   #12
gynmac

Hi guys!

Yes, the trips are fairly expensive and volunteering locally is also very important. Different people will go on trips abroad for many reasons. Some may want to learn about new cultures, push themselves to new limits, or to revive their passion for volunteering which they will bring back and continue volunteering locally. The price of the trip is not that extensive considering it covers your flight, stay, food, and everything you will need for a month. These sort of trips are NOT for everyone. Some people prefer regular vacations which is fine. Keep in mind that living in a resort in a tourist area of a country will never give you the same insight as doing homestays in small villages. There is a great deal that we can learn from these communities abroad. We spend MONTHS preparing for these trips learning about the culture and the different issues we may face while in-country. This is very different from the personal traveling most people do. Like I said before, not for everyone but overall a great experience.

I'm glad you guys are posting your thoughts in a mature manner. It's great to discuss these sorts of things.

Letting everyone know that because of increased interest we have added more INFORMATION SESSION DATES!

Wednesday November 10 MUSC 318 2 -3.30 pm
Thursday November 11th MUSC 318 5.30 - 7 pm
Friday November 12th MUSC 220 5.30 -7 pm
Old 11-10-2010 at 01:41 AM   #13
gynmac

There is an information session today!! Wednesday November 10 MUSC 318 2 -3.30 pm