MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-04-2011 at 10:03 AM   #16
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
NoteSlate uses the eInk technology I mentioned they should eventually use for Kno.

Though, as you can see, there are limitation. It will not be possible for you to have a normal internet browsing experience on the NoteSlate because the refresh rate will not support it at this moment in time.

Color selection is another issue.

For the purpose of just purely note taking, this device seems to be able to do it well. But a complete package like Kno is something we all should be heading toward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Frankly, I'm waiting on the Lenovo U1 Hybrid.
Problem with the Lenovo U1 is the screen is too small. For standard A4 you need around 13-14 inches. If you have this, everything you do on the screen will mimic what you do on a paper.

Secondly, I don't see Lenovo U1 supporing stylus input. Which means you can't have the normal natural pen writing on this tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post
but the thing is with the kno u also have to buy the texts to put onto it and they are just as expensive as a normal text, personally im old fashoned, theres somehting about oppening a new hard cover thick 1000 page textbook that just feels so good, plus the actual books look much nicer on a shelf then on a screen. plus the feel of turning actual pages and not having to ruin your eyes trying to read a bright screen, well ACTUAL TEXTS RULE sry its just the truth
Kno should support PDF right off the bat. There are tons of ebook already in PDF format. So if you are lucky, you will be able to use the Kno right away. Disadvantage is being able to fully utilize what the Kno can do for textbooks.

Regarding screen being bright. You could always turn the brightness down...

Though the better and hopefully future solution is just moving over to eInk once the technology mature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krup92 View Post

though this thing actually looks pretty decent and handy if it could somehow make my messy handwriting into text from and let me upload the stuff onto word even better id go for this any day
Ahh. I see you already getting to Kno (through NoteSlate)
Old 02-04-2011 at 10:30 AM   #17
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Delay with pen?

I have a tablet and so far havn't notice any. You must have super sensitive vision.

Lack of actual physical mark is a good thing. When I finish writing on a page, it curls up because I press on my pen so hard. In fact, my letters turns into braille. I won't mind avoiding all that.

Digital note is nice too because you can archive it a lot easier than paper. Sharing will also be easier.
Ah well, I guess everyone has their own preference right?
For example, I don't like touchscreen keyboards (iPhone's and what not) so I have a blackberry bold, fully equipped with a physical keyboard. I guess it's transferred over.
Old 02-04-2011 at 01:14 PM   #18
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

this technology is moving so fast that you'll eventually have to get used to it anyways, maybe in 5-10 years most people will be using this instead of textbooks. i already use a kindle dx for a few of my textbooks...it's easy to carry but it's not the best for flipping through pages
Old 02-04-2011 at 02:31 PM   #19
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Ah well, I guess everyone has their own preference right?
For example, I don't like touchscreen keyboards (iPhone's and what not) so I have a blackberry bold, fully equipped with a physical keyboard. I guess it's transferred over.
Definitely see your point, and you are right in regard to it being preference.

One advantage of having no keys is the product itself will last longer. Less mechanical stuff will reduce the chance of things degrading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
this technology is moving so fast that you'll eventually have to get used to it anyways, maybe in 5-10 years most people will be using this instead of textbooks. i already use a kindle dx for a few of my textbooks...it's easy to carry but it's not the best for flipping through pages
Yep. Paper is nice since you can flip thing quickly through.

Then again, if its digital you can just search for keywords...

Kindles still have a low refresh rate. I'm sure you noticed the slight delay every time you turn the page. I hope future version of eInk will eliminate this and they will once they can display full motion video.
Old 02-07-2011 at 09:51 PM   #20
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

I will only agree to this if the unit includes a diffuser that sprays new book smell every five minutes.

peripheraL likes this.