MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-21-2009 at 07:16 PM   #1
britishCanad

Liked: 0 Times

wasen't sure where to ask this
hello. I am going to mcmaster starting this fall and this question really has to do with Hamilton. I used to live in Hamilton (Ancaster) when i was like 4 then moved to England. So i am going to McMaster and going to be staying in my house with some friends also in Mcmaster in Ancaster instead of living on residence. So i wanna know was this a smart decision, as in the drive is it to far? And also please tell me how the city of Hamilton is, its been a while since ive been there.
Old 07-21-2009 at 07:19 PM   #2
u.yousaf

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishCanad View Post
hello. I am going to mcmaster starting this fall and this question really has to do with Hamilton. I used to live in Hamilton (Ancaster) when i was like 4 then moved to England. So i am going to McMaster and going to be staying in my house with some friends also in Mcmaster in Ancaster instead of living on residence. So i wanna know was this a smart decision, as in the drive is it to far? And also please tell me how the city of Hamilton is, its been a while since ive been there.
I'm not really sure about the traveling distance as I don't live in Hamilton but in terms of your decision to live off campus for first year I would say that the residence experience, at least for first year is something that you really shouldn't pass up. I certainly didn't regret it.

Old 07-21-2009 at 07:19 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well, the drive is relatively short... maybe half an hour depending on how far you're coming from. I had a few friends who lived in Ancaster and it was fine for them if they drove. You should be alright!

There's a bunch of threads on Hamilton, and debates about it's supposed sketchiness. It really is upto you what you think about the different areas of Hamilton, whether it be downtown, Westdale (area beside McMaster), Dundas, Ancaster or east Hamilton. Me personally, I lived downtown for first year and I didn't like it at nighttime since it seemed sketch to me. Otherwise, it's fine.

As for regretting not living on residence, I didn't regret it at all. I had a fine time. But yeah, it's an experience you might want to take part in.

Edit: Here's a few threads you might find useful:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ght=hamilto n

Last edited by feonateresa : 07-21-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2009 at 07:50 PM   #4
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

I have a couple friends who drive from Ancaster. It's not terribly far =)

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 07-21-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typo!
Old 07-21-2009 at 08:03 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

It's a 15-20 minute bus ride, but a much shorter drive : )
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:30 AM   #6
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Yeah, Ancaster is not sketchy at ALL! Its a upper middle/upper class suburban neighborhood. The Bus ride is like half an hour, though it only runs twice an hour and often stays at the stop for 20 minutes(annoying!).

Drive is actually shorter(10-15 Minutes) if you just take the 403 via Lincoln Alexander Parkway

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-22-2009 at 12:05 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Ancaster is really nice.

Hamilton has nice parts and sketchy parts. Around the University and Westdale is all pretty nice.
Old 07-22-2009 at 06:16 PM   #8
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

uhemmmm.
hamilton mountian is not sketchey...
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:07 PM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Go along King Street for 15 minutes and you end up in sketchyville.
Old 07-22-2009 at 11:09 PM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

There are avidly discussed threads over the last month by both proponents and opponents of hamilton and its sketchiness. You can search for it!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-22-2009 at 11:14 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

I think it depends on where you are in Ancaster if you can take the bus or not. You'd have to take two buses, like the 16 and the 5 or something. Lamee. I took a taxi to the movie theatre, and it was about 25 minutes.
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:14 AM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It's literally about a 5-10 minute drive from McMaster to the Ancaster theatre (which includes many other stores) as long as you know where you're going. The bus will take longer obviously.

In terms of going to school, Ancaster is a little far in my opinion, since you can't walk from there. You have no choice but to take the bus or a vehicle if you're so fortunate to be have one. If you're into it, you could try biking, which would probably take 20-30 minutes.

Like was said before, Ancaster is an old upper class suburb. We're talking $600 000+ homes, where doctors, lawyers, etc. live.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:13 AM   #13
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishCanad View Post
You can either bus or take a car.
Your best bet is, if you have a vehicle... drive it, it saves you time.
BUTTT... taking the bus, would save you money.
I guess it all depends on your situation
ancaster's in the very far west of hamilton...
not sketchyyy at all.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:09 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
It's literally about a 5-10 minute drive from McMaster to the Ancaster theatre (which includes many other stores) as long as you know where you're going. The bus will take longer obviously.

In terms of going to school, Ancaster is a little far in my opinion, since you can't walk from there. You have no choice but to take the bus or a vehicle if you're so fortunate to be have one. If you're into it, you could try biking, which would probably take 20-30 minutes.

Like was said before, Ancaster is an old upper class suburb. We're talking $600 000+ homes, where doctors, lawyers, etc. live.
No kidding. First time I went to Ancaster, I was like, "Damn...". Dundas isn't too shabby either.