MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
timetable conflict inquiry Kevinabrahak Academics 0 08-09-2012 11:42 AM
Timetable Conflict Help Driftking24 Academics 3 08-08-2012 12:56 PM
timetable conflict avnona First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-25-2011 11:09 PM
Timetable PHY LAB conflict, HELP PLZZZZZZZ!! 1st yr. Sunny_GL2UA! Academics 2 08-11-2010 11:42 AM
Timetable Conflict Energy44 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-07-2009 11:23 AM

Are we allowed to have a conflict on our timetable?

Old 08-22-2012 at 12:26 PM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Are we allowed to have a conflict on our timetable?
I have 2 required classes and their cores conflict. One class only has one core (total) and the other math class have 4 but only two cores are available and the rest are full. I called the academic advisor and she said if I can't fix it myself then I have to meet with her in person to get a spot. I am in Toronto for the summer so meeting her at Mac is not really convinient.

I was wondering if you can have a conflict between 2 classes and still do it? Can't I just go to a different math core when school starts for lecture? It says full on SOLAR but I doubt there would be absolutely no space in a lecture hall.

If I can't then I'll just go meet her.
Old 08-22-2012 at 02:10 PM   #2
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

yes, you could have conflicting cores and still go for either of them or you could attend a different core. However, that might cause inconvenience for those students already registered in that core. You must try to avoid such a situation whenever possible. If things still don't workout, you should definitely meet with your academic advisor and get them sorted the way you prefer.
Old 08-22-2012 at 02:34 PM   #3
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
I have 2 required classes and their cores conflict. One class only has one core (total) and the other math class have 4 but only two cores are available and the rest are full. I called the academic advisor and she said if I can't fix it myself then I have to meet with her in person to get a spot. I am in Toronto for the summer so meeting her at Mac is not really convinient.

I was wondering if you can have a conflict between 2 classes and still do it? Can't I just go to a different math core when school starts for lecture? It says full on SOLAR but I doubt there would be absolutely no space in a lecture hall.

If I can't then I'll just go meet her.

You can make a schedule however you want! Eg. 6 classes first semester 4 classes second semester... Or even take 2 conflicting classes... The only problem I've ever heard of with that is the work being more difficult because you have to spend more time teaching yourself stuff... I also read on here awhile back that if you take 2 courses that conflict chances are their exams will conflict and that that then becomes your fault that you cannot write two exams at the same time (but I'm not really sure if any of that is true)

The academic advisor wanted to meet with you to be able to change your timetable for you (they have magical powers, erm sorry computers with special privilages). She probably wanted to try and have you come in so she could see your timetable and talk to you about what your options are... She also probably wants to try and fit you in a more convenient math class should it be full.
Old 08-22-2012 at 03:19 PM   #4
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes-a-diva* View Post
You can make a schedule however you want! Eg. 6 classes first semester 4 classes second semester... Or even take 2 conflicting classes... The only problem I've ever heard of with that is the work being more difficult because you have to spend more time teaching yourself stuff... I also read on here awhile back that if you take 2 courses that conflict chances are their exams will conflict and that that then becomes your fault that you cannot write two exams at the same time (but I'm not really sure if any of that is true)

The academic advisor wanted to meet with you to be able to change your timetable for you (they have magical powers, erm sorry computers with special privilages). She probably wanted to try and have you come in so she could see your timetable and talk to you about what your options are... She also probably wants to try and fit you in a more convenient math class should it be full.
The thing is they are both mandatory courses for students in my major, so there is no way the 2 exams conflict (since all cores have the exams/midterms all together on one date). Am I making any sense lol?
Old 08-22-2012 at 11:21 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

The science faculty will not allow conflicts, unless they absolutely cannot be avoided AND both courses are mandatory and you can't take one of them at a later date.

If you can't switch it yourself, just meet her in person when you get to Mac...you're not here now, but it doesn't need to be fixed now. School is starting soon, you must be coming eventually

lifesciman1 says thanks to starfish for this post.