MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-24-2011 at 06:14 PM   #1
rocky1099

Liked: 2 Times

Web Developing
I am interested in Web Developing in spite of my program. I also want to make a Website for my High School back in England. If anyone could guide me as to how I should approach this, the appropriate languages I should use, such as HTML, CSS, etc, it would be really helpful to me. I don't know anything yet. I have been reading and trying out stuff from HTMLDOG.com. That's about it.

Looking forward to some responses.

Thanks.

alexfigueroa likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 06:54 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

For a basic website I would suggest looking into HTML 5 first then CSS 3. Both are really easy to use and aren't hard to learn. I suggest looking into using an IDE like NetBeans when developing webpages, or the like though.

Look into this website for HTML 5:
http://www.html-5-tutorial.com/

Look into this website for CSS 3:
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-css3/

Javascript would be the next item on your list after HTML 5 then CSS 3 if you wanted to make something more than just a basic website or webpages. If you have anymore questions or need any clarification feel free to PM me.

AnguishedEnd, enon, RyanC like this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 09:40 AM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Learn XHTML first before you learn HTML5. It's just a cleaner version of HTML that will give you less headaches in the long run.

CSS3 is good too of course.

Finally, if you want to stay anywhere ahead of the curve you'll need to learn a lot of dynamic programming languages (PHP, Ruby, ColdFusion, etc.) and look into modern Javascript APIs and frameworks such as jQuery and Dojo.

Graphic design is becoming less important where standards are pushing for more CSS/Javascript and less images (i.e. bandwidth consumption).

Old 08-25-2011 at 10:27 AM   #4
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Page Source, bitches!

I miss being 11 and resourceful.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-25-2011 at 10:42 AM   #5
enon

Liked: 10 Times

This thread is pretty relevant to me as well. A few years back, I started learning to use Adobe Dreamweaver to design simple websites, but got stuck when trying to learn how to implement CSS into my pages. I'm starting a grad program next week and I'd love to design a nice looking but simple website that didn't look like those boring Courier-font, HTML -table websites professors use
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:55 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

For beginners use Dreamweaver
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:41 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Or for people who do not want to learn how to hard code how they did back in they day, haha.
Old 08-25-2011 at 09:22 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by enon View Post
This thread is pretty relevant to me as well. A few years back, I started learning to use Adobe Dreamweaver to design simple websites, but got stuck when trying to learn how to implement CSS into my pages. I'm starting a grad program next week and I'd love to design a nice looking but simple website that didn't look like those boring Courier-font, HTML -table websites professors use
Definitely take a look at HTMLDog.com as OP stated. I learned a ton from there.

enon likes this.
Old 08-26-2011 at 02:56 PM   #9
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Dreamweaver is also an industry standard. I have some clients that use Dreamweaver templates, etc.

CS5.5 has a great jQuery hint resource so I can fly through designing a new animation widget in <1 hour.

Also, I don't touch the designer window (for XHTML validation reasons), strictly code view. I know how to hard-code but prefer the tools that help me write code faster. Time is precious
Old 08-26-2011 at 03:12 PM   #10
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
Dreamweaver is also an industry standard. I have some clients that use Dreamweaver templates, etc.

CS5.5 has a great jQuery hint resource so I can fly through designing a new animation widget in <1 hour.

Also, I don't touch the designer window (for XHTML validation reasons), strictly code view. I know how to hard-code but prefer the tools that help me write code faster. Time is precious
Fair enough, knowing how to hard-code is really essential in my opinion.
Old 08-26-2011 at 03:31 PM   #11
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Fair enough, knowing how to hard-code is really essential in my opinion.
I agree.

/12char