MacInsiders Logo

WebAssign / Mastering Chemistry / Mastering Physics required?

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:47 AM   #1
mazeem

Liked: 0 Times

WebAssign / Mastering Chemistry / Mastering Physics required?
Hi,

Code:
MATHEMATICS 1A03 , Section - DAY C01 , HASKELL Required Materials: STEWART - CALCULUS ET / 2 PIN CODES / 2 SOL MANUALS (PKG) 169.95 Optional Materials: NELSON - WEBASSIGN PINCODE CARD FOR ONE SEMESTER 41.95 NELSON - WEBASSIGN FOR 2 SEMESTERS 62.95
Code:
CHEMISTRY 1A03 , Section - DAY C01 , LOCK Required Materials: PETRUCCI - GENERAL CHEMISTRY (TEXTBOOK/SSM/MASTERING CHEMISTRY)(PACKAGE SET) 106.95 Optional Materials: PETRUCCI - GENERAL CHEMISTRY (E-BOOK/SSM/MASTERING CHEMISTRY)
Code:
PHYSICS 1B03 , Section - DAY C01 Required Materials: CCW - PHYSICS 1B03 LAB MANUAL PHYSICS 1B03 , Section - DAY C01 , HUGHES Required Materials: BFWPUB - I>CLICKER- ICLICKER KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS W.M.P. (TEXT ONLY) 135 used Optional Materials: KNIGHT - STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL (VOL #1) KNIGHT - STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL (VOL #2) KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS W.M.P. (W MASTERING PHYSICS) 179.95
Going by just the course listings, it seems like Webassign for math 1a03 and Mastering Chemistry for Chem 1A03 are required? Is that true? What about Mastering Physics?

Strangely, neither of these two textbook buying "guides": Where to Buy Books (New & Used), Buying Your Textbooks (new and used), mention anything about keeping in mind that some courses might require access codes that come with new textbooks.

Thanks

Last edited by mazeem : 08-27-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:02 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeem View Post
Hi,

Code:
MATHEMATICS 1A03 , Section - DAY C01 , HASKELL Required Materials: STEWART - CALCULUS ET / 2 PIN CODES / 2 SOL MANUALS (PKG) 169.95 Optional Materials: NELSON - WEBASSIGN PINCODE CARD FOR ONE SEMESTER 41.95 NELSON - WEBASSIGN FOR 2 SEMESTERS 62.95
Code:
CHEMISTRY 1A03 , Section - DAY C01 , LOCK Required Materials: PETRUCCI - GENERAL CHEMISTRY (TEXTBOOK/SSM/MASTERING CHEMISTRY)(PACKAGE SET) 106.95 Optional Materials: PETRUCCI - GENERAL CHEMISTRY (E-BOOK/SSM/MASTERING CHEMISTRY)
Code:
PHYSICS 1B03 , Section - DAY C01 Required Materials: CCW - PHYSICS 1B03 LAB MANUAL PHYSICS 1B03 , Section - DAY C01 , HUGHES Required Materials: BFWPUB - I>CLICKER- ICLICKER KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS W.M.P. (TEXT ONLY) 135 used Optional Materials: KNIGHT - STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL (VOL #1) KNIGHT - STUDENT SOLUTIONS MANUAL (VOL #2) KNIGHT R - PHYSICS FOR SCIENTISTS AND ENGINEERS W.M.P. (W MASTERING PHYSICS) 179.95
Going by just the course listings, it seems like Webassign for math 1a03 and Mastering Chemistry for Chem 1A03 are required? Is that true? What about Mastering Physics?

Thanks
Webassign is for sure, it's 10% for assignments on webassign (Gotten from the course outline for 2010-2011).

Mastering Physics and Mastering Chem are not mandatory. I wouldn't get them if you are buying used books. Chemistry has plenty of supplementary questions online (through Avenue) and in the book. Physics you have questions from the book as well as CAPA (which is mandatory). I believe you can go back and view the questions, but just in case you should print them off after you do them.
Old 08-27-2010 at 10:07 AM   #3
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

protip, when doing your webassign assignments, dont use an online integrater cause it wont help when your writing the exam
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:13 AM   #4
mazeem

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the info guys.

Also, what is the media pack that some people are selling along with the General Chemistry textbook. Can't include Mastering Chemistry since that expires are 1 or 2 sem right?
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:15 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

You need WebAssign, don't bother with the others.

Contrary to what others have said, use WolframAlpha for WebAssign, as it's easy enough to pick up the patterns for integration in 1A03/1AA3. You'll save a whole lot of time too.

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:26 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeem View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Also, what is the media pack that some people are selling along with the General Chemistry textbook. Can't include Mastering Chemistry since that expires are 1 or 2 sem right?
Not sure what the media pack is. But it's definitively a CD of some sort. Could be the electronic version of the text or something like that.

Yes, Mastering Chemistry expires but it doesn't expire unless it has been activated. So if the previous owner never used it then you should be able to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
You need WebAssign, don't bother with the others.

Contrary to what others have said, use WolframAlpha for WebAssign, as it's easy enough to pick up the patterns for integration in 1A03/1AA3. You'll save a whole lot of time too.
I think you should make sure you can do integrations by hand first though. If you know how then go ahead and use WolframAlpha. Usually when you look at the question you should be able to know the steps to integrate it, if you don't then you should go through the math book to learn it.

In the end all I'm saying is that it's better to know it THEN use wolfram than to use wolfram the entire semester telling yourself you'll learn integration before the exam.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:34 PM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I think you should make sure you can do integrations by hand first though. If you know how then go ahead and use WolframAlpha. Usually when you look at the question you should be able to know the steps to integrate it, if you don't then you should go through the math book to learn it.

In the end all I'm saying is that it's better to know it THEN use wolfram than to use wolfram the entire semester telling yourself you'll learn integration before the exam.
Of course, you should know how to integrate before using Wolfram. I think the "difficulties" of it are somewhat overstated, though - it's just that prior to integration, the only calculus we're exposed to requires absolutely no thought whatsoever. Integration really doesn't require a lot of practice, it just involves recognizing particular patterns.
I prefer to recall "further back", up to the general form, say, and then work from there, while others may prefer to recall back to particular problem types. The only reason I try to avoid the problem types method is that problem types change, while the general concepts don't. That said, if you're not taking calculus past 1AA3 and want to get a double-digit grade, then this doesn't really apply, haha