MacInsiders Logo

Welcome Day August 5th 2011

Welcome Day has many great opportunities for first year students and their parents including viewing the McMaster Campus (libraries, residences, athletic center), tips and expectations for first years, meeting other first years, etc...

The Schedule:

Brief description on each:

Students Affairs Info Fair: Learn about over 40 student groups and services found around campus.

MacPass Sales: Haven't bought a MacPass yet? Now's your chance to get one! (Don't forget to keep the receipt)

David Braley Athletic Center Tours: Take a look at what McMaster has to offer in the athletics department. (Guided tours ever 30 minutes)

Residence tours: Living in residence this year? This is your chance to take a look at what your room will be like so you can start planning what to bring in advance. (You will be shown a typical room)

De-Bunking the Myths: I'm sure you've heard a lot of rumours about university. This is your chance to ask a panel of students your questions and find out what you should expect in your first year at McMaster.

Finances Matter: University costs a lot! Here you will learn the many financial aid opportunities including bursaries, work programs and budgeting.

First Year Parent Program: Are your parents coming to Welcome Day? Here they will meet the university personnel responsible for the care and safety of their children such as security, health risk management, residences, and student services.

Home Away From Home: Living on campus this year? Learn about the aspects of the residence community such as the student leadership system, the IRC, and tips for living on-campus.

Taking Effective Study Notes: Notes can end up being long and not worth the time to go over again. This session will help you learn step by step how to take effective, smart, study notes.

Summer Reading Program Info Session: Share common reading experience with future classmates as you engage in intellectual and academic discussions about important transition topics. (Book pick up which happens between the two sessions are free for the first 500 students registered)

Library Tours: Get to know your faculty's library. You can also tour other libraries and find which one you like best for future studying. (Innis - Business, Mills - Humanities and Social Sciences, Thode - Engineering and Sciences, Health Sciences - Health Sciences) (Tours are every 30 minutes)

Totally Transit Tours: Take a tour of Hamilton's transit system and learn about Hamilton's entertainment hot spots as well as transportation links to other cities and suburbs around Hamilton.

First Generation Program: Parents haven't attended university? You are a first generation university student then! Unfortunately they often face greater challenges in post-secondary education. This session will help these students learn to take advantage of the many services and resources available to them.

Art Tours: Take a tour of McMaster's Museum of Art located right on the McMaster campus!

Campus Map: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours... res%20(2).pdf

To Register: https://fye.mcmaster.ca/ma/WDLogin.cfm

Directions to McMaster via Transit: http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainability/at_transit.html

Directions to McMaster via Car: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours...irections.html

Parking Information: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /tours...s/Parking.html
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 07-20-2011 at 04:38 PM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser
Program: Business Informatics
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 461 Times
Am I the only one who doesn't get that schedule/timetable for the day? I haven't put much thought into it, but I don't get it. D:
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-20-2011 at 04:46 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't get that schedule/timetable for the day? I haven't put much thought into it, but I don't get it. D:
You just look at the time at the top... For instance, all the first workshops/sessions are at 10am to 11am.

anonanon987 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 04:51 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

How can one attend 5 workshops/sessions all happening between 10-11?

Old 07-20-2011 at 04:52 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
How can one attend 5 workshops/sessions all happening between 10-11?
You'd have to pick one that appeals to you most and address questions you might have regarding a certain issue.
Edit: They're also repeated at 1-2, so you can attend 2 workshops you're interested in.

anonanon987 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 04:53 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Ah I see, okay, thanks gais.
Old 07-20-2011 at 06:06 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
I'd do the study note and debunking the myths and have your parent do the first year parent and finance thingies to get the most out of the day, personally.

-Ish- says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 07-20-2011 at 07:41 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Yeah I was thinking about those two, but I can't decide if I should go or not. It will be the first few days in which Ramadan starts, and I'll be fasting for 16-18 hours? No food nor water and this day will involve some walking obviously and travel outside in the heat, and I'll be traveling to Hamilton and back..If it was in Mid-Ramadan then it wouldn't be a problem as my body would've fully be adjusted to the new eating cycle.
Old 07-22-2011 at 12:54 PM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
I wonder why they organized it like this. Why not set it up so the lectures run one after another? It sucks that you can only go to 2.
Old 07-22-2011 at 01:29 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I wonder why they organized it like this. Why not set it up so the lectures run one after another? It sucks that you can only go to 2.
I agree, they could have had 2 move into lunch time from the first sessions and 2 move back into lunch time from the second sessions. Who spends 2 hours eating lunch?
Old 07-22-2011 at 04:29 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I agree, they could have had 2 move into lunch time from the first sessions and 2 move back into lunch time from the second sessions. Who spends 2 hours eating lunch?
Haha yeah, that's true. I also don't get why the Art Tours are the only thing on their own. Are there really that many people signing up for Art Tours that they can't attend the other lectures and need to have their own time slot?
This schedule could have been much more spread out.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:38 PM   #12
rumbletime
Faculty: Science
Year: First

Liked: 1 Time
What happens if you register but are unable to make it? Any penalties?
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:41 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
Nope. They won't even check who actually attends or not.

rumbletime says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 02:54 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbletime View Post
The registration is just for Mac to keep track of how many first-years actually attended. It doesn't matter if you register and can't make it .

rumbletime says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:50 PM   #15
-Ish-
Program: Biology & Pharmacology, Co-op
Residence: SOCS! // Moulton Hall 11-12

Liked: 56 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
I'd do the study note and debunking the myths and have your parent do the first year parent and finance thingies to get the most out of the day, personally.
Quick Question: Is the session De-Bunking the Myths much like the Rapid-Fire Questions that we were having @ Mission2Mac?
... Also, living in Rez & being away from home for the first time is the event Home Away From Home of any gud? .. Or should I skip that one & Stick to Ryan's advice above.
Thanks

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search