MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Tentative Exam Schedule Up (2009)! mellye MacInsiders Announcements 62 10-20-2009 09:17 AM
frost week schedule lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-23-2009 08:44 PM
Welcome Week Schedule ingénieur.xo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-20-2008 10:16 PM
Welcome Week Schedule Chad General Discussion 2 09-03-2007 02:07 PM

Welcome Week 2009 Schedule

Old 08-28-2009 at 05:49 PM   #15
Paul91
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 4 Times
i hope they don't cut it short if its the 2nd show of the day for them
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-28-2009 at 06:24 PM   #16
J-Met
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Prospective Student

Liked: 136 Times
Is it for frosh only?
Old 08-28-2009 at 10:45 PM   #17
Erika0909
Program: Communication Studies

Liked: 0 Times
Alright thanks!
And another question, are we allowed to bring a friend to any of the welcome week events? Or is it all strictly mac students?
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:16 AM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika0909 View Post
Alright thanks!
And another question, are we allowed to bring a friend to any of the welcome week events? Or is it all strictly mac students?
If the event is provided by the MacPass then you won't be able to. Plus, Welcome Week is a time to socialize, meet people. You can spend time with your friends another time, make some friends within your faculty and residence.
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:51 AM   #19
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Plus, Welcome Week is a time to socialize, meet people. You can spend time with your friends another time, make some friends within your faculty and residence.
I don't think that's a fair thing to say. While Welcome Week is a time to get comfortable with the new way of life at Mac and integrate with the social scene, having a friend there with you does no wrong.

I'm pretty pumped for Ill Scarlett myself and while I haven't heard Justin Nozuka yet, I've heard nothing but good things so I'm sure his show is gonna be awesome too.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 08-29-2009 at 01:03 AM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
I don't think that's a fair thing to say. While Welcome Week is a time to get comfortable with the new way of life at Mac and integrate with the social scene, having a friend there with you does no wrong.
Most people that bring friends to events do so because they are uncomfortable meeting new people. This increases the chances of just spending all your time hanging out with your friend that doesn't go to Mac.

I see no reason to bring a friend that doesn't go to Mac to events such as bedraces, faculty day, Mac-connector, etc...

Maybe Airbands, the Outdoor movie and Shinerama. Although, it might not be as fun for your friend to scream cheers that don't really mean much to them.

In the end if you do decide to bring a friend, don't be anti-social with others and go meet people.
Old 08-29-2009 at 12:26 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member
Program: Electrical Engineering
Residence: Matthews Hall '08-'09

Liked: 339 Times
So as long as your from mac, and dont have a macpass, you can still attend?
Old 08-29-2009 at 01:55 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
I believe you DO need a Macpass, otherwise it's $15. Can anyone confirm this though?
Old 08-29-2009 at 02:40 PM   #23
jennmeng
Faculty: Arts & Science

Liked: 0 Times
ILL Scarlett?!
WOW im so happy hahah.
Im so glad I bought the macpass now
Old 08-29-2009 at 04:58 PM   #24
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I believe you DO need a Macpass, otherwise it's $15. Can anyone confirm this though?
no, it's only open to upper year students for $15. they will be checking student numbers to verify what year people are in.
Old 08-29-2009 at 05:00 PM   #25
sf
Program: MSc.

Liked: 36 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Is it for frosh only?
I am pretty sure its for all Mac students and the one on Saturday is the one you have to have the macpass for. Which means pre-concert at your house and then walk over??
Old 08-29-2009 at 08:44 PM   #26
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
I see no reason to bring a friend that doesn't go to Mac to events such as bedraces, faculty day, Mac-connector, etc...
woah woaah I am having a hard time figuring out how exactly would a friend fit into the picture when a First year Mac student is wearing his purple/yellow rez or facutly tshirt and surrounded with a mob of people with the same apparel :S
It is a very controlled and divided environment where you are sort of bunched with people who share a similar feature as you(faculty/rez)

Plus faculty day and night are MacPass only events!

Edit: You could bring your friend along to large scale events like a concert or the comedy fest or hyponotist though, assuming he is from Mac :S Not that I endorse sneaking in by any means!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 08-29-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2009 at 11:07 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
woah woaah I am having a hard time figuring out how exactly would a friend fit into the picture when a First year Mac student is wearing his purple/yellow rez or facutly tshirt and surrounded with a mob of people with the same apparel :S
It is a very controlled and divided environment where you are sort of bunched with people who share a similar feature as you(faculty/rez)

Plus faculty day and night are MacPass only events!

Edit: You could bring your friend along to large scale events like a concert or the comedy fest or hyponotist though, assuming he is from Mac :S Not that I endorse sneaking in by any means!
Well, yeah. If you have friends at McMaster then you can obviously go to the same events with each other. My case was for those who do not go to McMaster. I don't see the point in having them over at McMaster for welcome week. There is plenty of time to hang out after welcome week.
Old 08-30-2009 at 02:24 AM   #28
Alvand
Program: Business
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Well, yeah. If you have friends at McMaster then you can obviously go to the same events with each other. My case was for those who do not go to McMaster. I don't see the point in having them over at McMaster for welcome week. There is plenty of time to hang out after welcome week.

Wait, I think you believe I mean for the whole of Welcome Week.. I'm merely referring to the concerts. Having a friend over for group bonding and socialization events would be odd and silly but a concert on the other hand offers the opportunity for mutual connection with a friend that does not occur too often (i.e. concert setting). The shared medium of music is an opportunity that does not happen to often, and there's nothing weird with inviting a friend to your new environment to experience a live performance.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Old 08-30-2009 at 09:14 AM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
Wait, I think you believe I mean for the whole of Welcome Week.. I'm merely referring to the concerts. Having a friend over for group bonding and socialization events would be odd and silly but a concert on the other hand offers the opportunity for mutual connection with a friend that does not occur too often (i.e. concert setting). The shared medium of music is an opportunity that does not happen to often, and there's nothing weird with inviting a friend to your new environment to experience a live performance.
Ah, I see. Yeah, concerts would be fine.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search