MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Four: Residence lorend Welcome Week Repping 9 01-14-2009 02:29 PM
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Two: Faculty Rep Fergie Welcome Week Repping 5 01-03-2009 02:47 PM
Welcome Week Rep Applications Part One: Inter-Residence Council temara.brown Welcome Week Repping 2 01-16-2008 08:41 AM
Maroons' Rez Rep Applications Due Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-29-2007 01:59 PM

Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Five: Maroons

Old 02-12-2008 at 09:12 PM   #1
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Welcome Week Rep Applications Part Five: Maroons
Welcome Week Applications Part Five: Maroons

NICOLE FERREIRA, MACINSIDERS

MAROONS HOW DO YOU FEEL?
I FEEL SO GOOD! OH I FEEL SO GOOD OH!

Trust me, being a Maroon feels a lot better than just good! The Maroons are an MSU service that was created to enhance our school's spirit. However, it doesn't stop there. The Maroons are extremely involved with fundraising for a variety of organizations such as The Terry Fox Foundation and Cystic Fibrosis. During Welcome Week, our prime fundraising activity is for Cystic Fibrosis, which is done through the various events of Shinerama. This year we actually raised almost $41 000!!!

A lot of time
and energy was spent to raise that amount but it was definitely worth it! The money was raised using a few different methods. We sold water to the new students and their parents on move-in day. We went to Hess Village where we sold glow sticks and lollipops, during club and bar nights. On the last Saturday of Welcome Week first year students, their reps, and Maroons alike went out into the community to ask for donations, finishing with the Shine-Off event that occurred in Westdale. These were only some of the larger ways we raised money, and there were several other events that we fundraised during Welcome Week. Fundraising is just one of the many things we do though!

Being a Maroon really is the GREATEST experience!!! It is an amazing time throughout all of Welcome Week! We (unlike the Residence Reps) got to sleep in a bit more! Our days usually started at about 8AM but we're fairly busy until about 11 at night! During Welcome Week, Maroons did a lot of behind the scenes work. You know those calendars and bags you get during the first week of school in the Atrium (the MSU Swag bags that had the reusable mugs, the agenda, and calendar)? Yeah, we do those! We put all of the material in the bags and help hand them out. And although it definitely wasn't the most enjoyable experience of the week, Linda Phan (this year's Welcome Week Coordinator) and the other Maroons made it pretty fun! There were about forty of us and they are the most AMAZING people I've ever met! They're all extremely spirited, friendly and fun! We all got to know each other pretty well!

YES! YES! YES WE DO! WE'VE GOT SPIRIT AND YOU WILL TOO!!!

The Maroons have the GREATEST cheers! I live for them! Welcome Week is too short! But...your voice is usually gone by the third day. We don’t just do cheers though. We do a dance every year that we perform at IRC Bedraces and at Airbands. This year our song was The Way I Are by Timbaland! We had to learn the dance the day before we performed it, which made it a little bit tricky. If you're a quick learner, great!!

A lot of people think that the Maroons don't really get to meet a lot of first years. It's not true! You get to meet a lot of people during Welcome Week no matter what kind of rep you are. I had first years come up to me all the time asking for directions and such. A lot of the people I met that week I still keep in touch with too!

The Maroons
biggest event during Welcome Week is Mac Connector. It is so much fun!! If you remember the event you know that it can be extremely awkward for first years to be so close and in awkward positions with complete strangers. That's why we're there! We encourage students to take part in the activities no matter how silly they feel, because everyone there feels pretty much the same way! It's one of those events where you get to see people coming out of their shells and enjoying themselves. It's really a great experience!

When Welcome Week finishes, there are still Maroons events throughout the year. But, these events are not part of your duty as a Maroons Welcome Week Rep. They are extra events, where you can go out and meet new people and show you Mac spirit!! There is Homecoming, several football games (mostly at home, but some away games too), Pumpkin Hike, Frost Week and many other things to keep you on your feet. Plus, you get to wear your rep suit on the 19th of every month for Maroonie Day!

If you've got LOTS of spirit join the Maroons Mailing List! It'll keep you informed about when to apply to be a Welcome Week Rep.
There's an application form that you'll need to fill out and an interview to get
the position! And before you know it you'll let us see your party time! We look forward to cheering with you!!!

If you have any questions at all feel free to contact Maroons President Linda Phan at [email protected] ca. You can also come to the Maroons office (MUSC B109) and talk to any of this year’s Exec about the application process. If you look at the Maroons website you can also find some information about what the Maroons do during Welcome Week.

Last edited by lorend : 02-12-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2008 at 12:12 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Yaay!! Nicole! I'm happy my photo made it onto the front lol
Old 02-13-2008 at 07:01 PM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Haha! It's because you're an AWESOME photographer Temara.

(But Danielle chose it!)
Old 02-14-2008 at 01:18 PM   #4
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

great article nicole!