MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lets start a kick ass rock band FlippyMint Music 7 08-17-2010 07:17 PM
Kick Your Life Back on Track ferreinm Academics 0 10-23-2008 10:50 PM
Entrance Scholarships, When Do They Kick In?! amiceli Financial Aid 1 08-15-2008 06:26 PM

Welcome Week Rep Kick-Off Event!

Old 08-25-2008 at 09:45 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

By DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

Welcome Week is less than a week away now (w00t!!!), and what better way to start it off by having a giant party? This Thursday August 28th is the campus-wide Welcome Week Rep Kick-Off Party at Quarters. This is a GREAT way to see everyone you haven’t seen since school let out in April, as well as raise money for a great cause!

The McMaster Social Sciences Society Welcome Week Planners, Zack Marchesini (aka 'Crombie) & Michael Pett (aka Fitch) have organized this awesome event for all reps, regardless of whether they are reps for SOCS, Faculty, IRC, Maroons, Residence or other groups. All money raised is going to Shinerama and CURE Canada. Another good thing about the event is participation (i.e. attendance) helps gain points for the newly-reinstated Welcome Week Rep Cup!

The winning rep team gets a prize as well as bragging rights for all of Welcome Week. Points are awarded as follows:
  • Total Donated by Team (Into Cover Jars) / Total # of Reps on Team
  • # of Reps from Team That Wear A Toga / Total # of Reps on Team
  • Total # of Reps That Attend / Total # of Reps on Team
Another incentive for you to come: ‘Crombie and Fitch will each be wearing a little bit less of their togas as the night goes on (and who doesn’t like a little bit of nudity). Although one may think that this is due to the “ginger ale” that is being served that night, it is because for every $50 that is raised a piece of their togas will be cut off.

So bring your toga, your student ID, your government-issued photo ID, and your wallet and prepare to have an awesome night!

Call me a cynic...but I bet you’re also wondering if all the money raised corresponds directly to points for Soc Sci for the Faculty Spirit Cup. It doesn’t. All money raised is being collected by the MSU’s Fundraising Initiative Team (FIT), and in turn does not benefit any one team. It only benefits the cause (and helps McMaster go from the post secondary school to raise the sixth highest amount of money nationally, so something higher this year)!!

Want more info? Check out the Facebook event here. Some other pivotal information: the party is from 10pm-3am, at Quarters. There will be kegs on the dance floor, $2.75 domestic bottles, $3.50 domestic pints, and a special “Shinerama Shot”. Cover for the event is a minimum donation of $3.00.

Can you attend even if you’re still underage? The answer is yes! You will just be subject to the X-ing/wristband policy of Quarters.

And in case you’re wondering...Zack and Mike aren’t actually going to be naked under their togas.

But I’m wondering...who is the guy in the poster? And I’m sure lots of single people are hoping that he will be there too...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-25-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2008 at 06:29 AM   #2
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

wats the govt id for, do we need that if I dont drink lol?

Old 08-26-2008 at 11:21 AM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvin100 View Post
wats the govt id for, do we need that if I dont drink lol?
Lol its for Welcome Week reps-to-be. NOT for incoming first years. You guys have your party for 10 days.
Old 08-26-2008 at 11:21 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

In order to enter a place that sells alcohol you need to be at least 18, and show proof of that age.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-28-2008 at 11:17 AM   #5
kenvin100
Elite Member

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Lol its for Welcome Week reps-to-be. NOT for incoming first years. You guys have your party for 10 days.

OHHH lol ok