MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Rewind: Welcome Week Rep Survival Guide lorend MacInsiders Announcements 2 09-02-2010 04:45 PM
A Lab Survival Guide Lois Exam Prep and Studying Tips 3 09-14-2009 01:37 PM

Welcome Week Rep Survival Guide

Old 08-24-2008 at 09:29 AM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

With Welcome Week only a WEEK away (YAY!!!!), many upper year students are starting to prepare. Not as participants, like they were last year, or in years before that, but as Welcome Week reps.
For the past three years I have been a Welcome Week rep. I was a residence rep three times, for Whidden in 2005, and for Bates in 2006 and 2007. I was also a Social Sciences rep in 2006. This September I’ve chose to be a rep again, but this time as a Maroons rep. Because I have three years of being a rep under my belt (although most of the time I never wore a belt with my rep suit...), I thought it would be useful for all new reps to know what they’re getting into, and how to prepare for the week. Read on, and learn about how to survive Welcome Week!

Sleep
Get as much sleep as you possibly can before rep training starts, especially if you’re a Residence Rep. The first two days of Welcome Week will be 18 hours each, and physically exhausting due to move-in. None of your days will start after 10am, and most days don’t finish before 10pm. As a Res Rep, most of my days started at 8am, and finished at 1am. Add in all of the heavy lifting for move-in, and all the running around and cheering you will be dead tired. If you have any opportunities to take a break (even for a few minutes) try and take a nap of some sort.

Hydration
Three of the past four Welcome Weeks have been hot (last year being the hottest, with one day going up to 42C with the humidex). You will be wearing some sort of polyester suit that does not breathe. You will be sweating in it even if it’s a cool day. Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. However, you should also drink other liquids, as drinking only water does not replenish everything that is lost through sweating. Last year I ended up in emergency with dehydration from drinking only water. So please remember to drink juice and Gatorade/Powerade as well to replenish the electrolytes you lose (or you could be really hardcore and buy Pedialyte, but that stuff is REALLY expensive). That being said, if you’re drinking caffeinated beverages remember that they are diuretics and make you lose fluids as well.

Throat Lozenges
You will lose your voice. You will lose your voice more than one time. The best way to keep cheering after you voice has gone is to take some sort of throat lozenge meant for sore throats. I personally like Cepacol because they numb your throat. Other people prefer to use Halls, but I don’t like them because they tend to burn. You may also want to have tea with honey a few times over the course of the week as well.

Sunscreen
Considering Welcome Week takes place at the end of August/beginning of September there is the possibility for bright sunlight and a high UV index. It’s totally mom of me to remind you about the sunscreen...but you don’t want skin cancer now do you?

Change of Clothes
Know how your mom wanted you to always bring a change of clothes when you went away somewhere? Well, Welcome Week is another one of those places. If it’s really hot this year, you’re going to get really sweaty, and if it’s rainy like it was in 2006, you’re going to get damp, if not wet or totally soaked. Either way, you’re going to want to change your clothes and it’s hard to do so if you don’t bring any to change into. Same goes for shoes. You spend a lot of time on your feet, so you don’t want to spend part of your day in squishy shoes. If your feet get sore, it’s a good idea to have something to change into, because it will alleviate some of the pain in your feet.

Deodorant
Apply every morning. Bring to campus. Reapply as needed. No one is friends with the smelly kid.

Talking to People
Be as friendly as possible! You want to make sure that any student is comfortable talking to you, regardless of if they are from your building or faculty. You want to be approachable! You have to talk to people as a rep...which can be harder if you’re on the awkward side. It can also be difficult if the student you’re talking to is kinda shy. Although I must admit I’m not the best at small talk, you get a little bit of practice after awhile. Here are some suggestions for keeping a conversation going, that go beyond the ‘where are you from, how many siblings do you have, do you have a significant other’ type questions:
-What music they listen to
-What the favourite movie they saw this summer was
-What they’re looking forward to most during Welcome Week
-What sort of activities did they do in high school
-What course are they not looking forward to taking this year

Obviously there are tons and tons of other questions you could ask! As I mentioned, I’m not really good at asking questions, but I tend to better think of questions on the fly, especially since I can gage the kinds of questions I will ask based on earlier answers.

Food
I think as a res rep this is what bothered me the most. You get the most interaction with students, and have the longest days, and yet you get the least amount of appreciation. You will get two meals, both of which are on the move-in days. After that you have to supply your own food, and that $100 you are made to put on your meal cards usually helps cover that. If you’re Maroon on the other hand, you’re lucky enough to get most of your meals paid for. Faculty Reps are somewhere in between the two. Some good choices for food to eat on campus (to help you survive Welcome Week), includes sources of protein and carbohydrates. Protein helps keep you full and gives you energy, so try and have some at every meal. Another good food to have is soup. It has lots of salt, which you will need to replace over the course of the week. You will likely also want to bring things that aren’t sold by Hospitality services, such as fruit, cheese, Red Bull, peanut butter sandwiches or granola bars.

Weather
Remember to check the Weather Network website every morning before you leave. Then you'll know what to expect (at least a little bit...the forecast for Hamilton isn't always 100% right) in terms of weather for the day. Then you'll also know to bring an umbrella, sunscreen etc.

DFF
This is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for you to remember. In residence you learned that DFF was don’t eff your floor. As a rep, it means don’t eff your frosh. If you happen to be really interested in one of your students, please wait until after Welcome Week before doing anything about it. You are a leader and a role model; starting a relationship while you are still seen as those means taking advantage of a first year student. NOT COOL! You can wait until August 8th, and if you can’t you’re in this for all of the wrong reasons. And by extension, this means don’t start anything with any of your co-reps either.

Just remember...it’s more fun being a rep than it is being a first year. I was told that in my second year, and I have to agree. I’ve told the same to tons of students down the line, and they have also agreed with me. Be smart, be safe and HAVE A BLAST AND A HALF!! (and hope to hell it doesn’t rain like it did in 2006).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-24-2008 at 06:15 PM.

aya017, samantha__, temara.brown all say thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-24-2008 at 09:35 PM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

If the brown dude in the Maroon suit with a megaphone tells you to do something... do it. He outranks you.

Old 08-24-2008 at 09:37 PM   #3
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
If the brown dude in the Maroon suit with a megaphone tells you to do something... do it. He outranks you.

Well, I mean, as long as I make sense... sometimes I don't... at those points in time you may ask for clarification.

Uhh also... eat when you have the opportunity. You're not first years, you might not get proper food later. I mean unless you are a Maroon rep because your planners are sick.
Old 08-24-2008 at 09:39 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Slightly egotistical are we Rohan? haha.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2008 at 10:06 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

WOOOO WELCOME WEEK!

Oh, and wear something breathable under your rep suit like jogging shorts or bike shorts. Ladies: don't wear a regular bra, stick with a sports one if you can cause the regulars aren't meant to deal with the amount of sweating you're going to do. No one likes swoobs.

Old 08-25-2008 at 02:47 AM   #6
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Slightly egotistical are we Rohan? haha.

To be honest, no. I have my reasons.
Old 08-25-2008 at 08:22 AM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
No one likes swoobs.
lmfao. Swooooooobs. Anyways, do people tend to lose a considerable amount of weight during Welcome Week with all the lifting and jumping around and such. And also, I'm doin the Maroons thing, so I'm wondering why we get food and no on else does?

Old 08-25-2008 at 09:51 AM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
lmfao. Swooooooobs. Anyways, do people tend to lose a considerable amount of weight during Welcome Week with all the lifting and jumping around and such. And also, I'm doin the Maroons thing, so I'm wondering why we get food and no on else does?
Yes actually, the average is about 5lbs methinks. You will sweat buckets more often than not. That and you'll often forget to eat. OR you'll be trying to eat but first years won't stop asking you questions and before you know it you have to leave and you haven't finished your meal yet!!!

As for why the Maroons get more food than res reps? Cause the Maroons rock and Housing hates us all. lol Really, I don't know, it probably has to do with MSU funding or something. Ask Rohan.

Old 08-25-2008
micadjems
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-25-2008 at 11:30 AM   #9
deadpool
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Ahaha because Res reps don't have time for food half the time, because they have a lot of stuff to do. We on the other hand are stellarly taken care of by yours truly. Plus, res reps do more on a daily because they are a) crazy b) awesome.
Old 08-25-2008 at 01:20 PM   #10
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Ahaha because Res reps don't have time for food half the time, because they have a lot of stuff to do. We on the other hand are stellarly taken care of by yours truly. Plus, res reps do more on a daily because they are a) crazy b) awesome.

I am not crazy but I do like to think of myself as awesome

Old 08-25-2008 at 05:17 PM   #11
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

People on the IRC also get food! Yay!!! We get good food too not your average pita pit (for 7 days in a row)
Old 08-25-2008 at 06:36 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Don't you have to pay for your food, living in res and all?

Old 08-25-2008 at 10:07 PM   #13
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

you use your meal plan if you're in rez. They don't pay for stuff during.......

.... I love science! ......