Mugsi Down healthsci1 Academics 9 05-16-2010 02:54 PM
MUGSI still available? Duarch Academics 9 01-02-2009 02:18 AM

Weren't we promised a better MUGSI?

Old 06-13-2011 at 11:26 PM   #1
WillCampbell
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 14 Times

Weren't we promised a better MUGSI?
Looks like MDL and all those other misfits were lying...

traveler10 likes this.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:27 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

MUGSI/SOLAR will never be fixed, its a mcmaster tradition to suffer once a year, feel like you just wanna cause bodily harm and cuss all night.

Enjoy it buddy

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Old 06-13-2011 at 11:29 PM   #3
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

LEt's Protest this shit.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:31 PM   #4
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Apparently they're working on it for next year or something. UGH.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:40 PM   #5
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

You only have to really use SOLAR 8 times - once in June, once in August, x 4 years. I've used it 5x and never had a problem with it. Instead of complaining about McMaster's god-awful system you might as well get used to it and learn its nuances, because it's likely not going to change anytime soon.

Old 06-13-2011 at 11:43 PM   #6
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

It's an initiation ritual. Stop crying and welcome to McMaster

Old 06-13-2011 at 11:45 PM   #7
WillCampbell
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
You only have to really use SOLAR 8 times - once in June, once in August, x 4 years. I've used it 5x and never had a problem with it. Instead of complaining about McMaster's god-awful system you might as well get used to it and learn its nuances, because it's likely not going to change anytime soon.
I don't care what you say, SOLAR is in the way of me going to get some McDonald's double cheeseburgers and playing 30x XP Gears of War 2 online. I shouldn't have to be wasting my time on something so useless as my academics.
Old 06-13-2011 at 11:51 PM   #8
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
That's funny because you can loose an elective because of the flawed system.
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:11 AM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillCampbell View Post
Looks like MDL and all those other misfits were lying...
Yeah, It's amazing MDL hasn't single-handedly upgraded our aging campus-wide multimillion dollar computer architecture backend in his ~1.5 months in office. It's like he's not even trying :(

Old 06-14-2011 at 12:13 AM   #10
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I think the currently schedule is 2012 or 2013. It was discussed here before.
Old 06-14-2011 at 12:31 AM   #11
WillCampbell
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Yeah, It's amazing MDL hasn't single-handedly upgraded our aging campus-wide multimillion dollar computer architecture backend in his ~1.5 months in office. It's like he's not even trying :(
By now Steve Running would have had that tarp set up and mad benches on campus bro.

Old 06-14-2011 at 12:40 AM   #12
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Lol, I voted for that troll asian guy. His whole platform was just a huge joke.

There was another thread about Mugsi changes. It's a huge project and the earliest expected time for the new MUGSI to roll in is around 2013. =( oh well
Old 06-14-2011 at 01:43 PM   #13
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
I agree that there isn't much use in constantly complaining about MUGSI and SOLAR, but to say that we should just have to suck it up is kind of strange IMO. We pay for MUGSI and SOLAR, the least they could do is work. Maybe you have been lucky, but I've been at Mac for 5 years and I always spend hours trying to get in. I know that complaining on Macinsiders isn't going to do much, but when we pay for a system, I think it should at least work decently.

Biochem47, lizziepizzie, lt93 like this.
Old 06-14-2011 at 02:37 PM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I agree that there isn't much use in constantly complaining about MUGSI and SOLAR, but to say that we should just have to suck it up is kind of strange IMO. We pay for MUGSI and SOLAR, the least they could do is work. Maybe you have been lucky, but I've been at Mac for 5 years and I always spend hours trying to get in. I know that complaining on Macinsiders isn't going to do much, but when we pay for a system, I think it should at least work decently.
Lol, yes in theory it should, but since the McMaster staff is generally a bunch of ****ers we're not going to get what we want. There are a few strategies to expedite the process and ensure you get most of your required courses by 12:15am, assuming it opens at 12:00am. My point is to try to maximize your chances this way, whether or not we "should" have a good system or not.
Old 06-14-2011 at 10:57 PM   #15
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Oh Hi Mark!

Alrighty, So before you read my following post please read through this blog post that I posted months ago: http://php.orbiscommunicatio ns.com/srablog/?p=242

To provide an update to the content on there, I'm still meeting twice a month with the systems renewal committee and we are now on stage #3 of the Three steps(i.e: Already hired Project Director and Consulting Firm) and various stakeholders(office staff, faculty, departments and myself as the student rep) are filling out requirements definitions to send out in an RFP(Request for Proposal) to potential Software Vendors by the end of the summer. Once the vendors submit their claims in early fall they'll be holding demonstrations on campus(I'm currently working to have open house demo's in MUSC or Council Chambers so student's at large can visit them and give myself and the companies input). After that the pieces of the puzzle will be assembled and then begins the tricky process of ensuring every single department in the University starts the transition process. So ETA for a new MUGSI is Summer 2012 or 2013.

I have explained multiple times that it quite simply can't be done over night or within a year or whatever our timeline our generation 21st century instant gratification neurons are screaming. It is an ERP Project(Enterprise Resource Planning) and these things encompass the entire organization, which given that it's a decentralized University environment means is tricky and often controversial with various departments trying to get on the same page with their differing priorities. MUGSI is just one of the components of the entire project and can't be obtained separately due to compatibility concerns.

The timeline for any project of this scale and scope always takes atleast a few years, even in private business which can assemble compliance asap; whereas at Mac all departments have their own priorities and it's difficult often to get everyone to commit to allocating their resource capital to this project as opposed to their other deadlines, hence further delays.

When it comes to the blame game at Mac, the only thing you can possibly blame them for is not starting this project/funding allocation early enough($30 Mil was first invested in March 2010).

And Will what did you meant by "MDL and other misfits are lying"? (I've always stated a minimum deadline of 2012 at best for this one). Also to clarify MDL has no/hasn't had any direct involvement in this project, he is however kept aware of updates by myself and is an official observer on the committee and will substitute for me on occasions I have other commitments(job). If you are referring to MDL mentioning it on his platform, that point simply meant that he will provide his commitment to myself and the committee and help facilitate focus groups/demonstrations or potentially political pressure from the MSU(should they worst case scenario hypothetically not consider student priorities) during his term.

Tl;Dr MUGSI Improvements are a 2-3 year project at best in it's medium phase, expected changes by 2012 or 2013, nothing can be done to fasten it up due to it's scope/nature as a decentralized ERP

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-14-2011 at 11:01 PM.

Eternal Fire, Megan11, Patrick.O, UlteriorMtve all say thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.