MacInsiders Logo

West Village Suites asking for last month rent?

Old 04-15-2014 at 02:40 PM   #1
CM22

Liked: 0 Times

West Village Suites asking for last month rent?
Hi all, I'll be starting at McMaster in September and West Village Suites was highly recommended by a grad student that my department got me in touch with. After being on this forum I have read a lot of negative things about management but figure I'd at least put an application in but the applications ask for last month's rent at the top. Right below that, it says an application is not a guarantee of accommodation. Has anyone else come across this? Has this always been the case for Wets Village Suites?
Old 04-15-2014 at 04:24 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

WVS and dundurn does this. It's basically a deposit to secure ur spot. But I dont know about this scenario because I only paid last month rent when I got the room and signed up.
Old 04-15-2014 at 05:40 PM   #3
JumbotronDave

I signed up for WVS starting April 2013 and they asked for a last month's deposit then as well..I thought this sort of thing happened more often than not, but maybe I am mistaken..the point is, they do ask for a deposit, as per my knowledge.

If you are looking for some advice on WVS as a whole, I would avoid it at all costs. There are some benefits to living there but in my opinion the cons outweigh the pros by a mile:
  • The management is very poorly structured; they are sneaky, they will almost never get back to you about anything you need/ask for, and as soon as they need money from you they spam you 24/7.
  • To add to my first point, the people who work there apart from 2 or 3 people that work in the main office, are all students and tenants of the building - they usually have little to no power and can't help you with anything you need. Most of them are nice at least.
  • WVS is extremely over priced, especially for the headaches and wasted time you get from dealing with the management and crappy services. One of their main selling points was the cleaning service (which they cancelled, practically without telling anyone) and now that its gone, they don't have a whole lot to offer.
  • The internet is abysmal, to say the least. Even after an "upgrade", you'll still get better speeds at the campus libraries. Sometimes I wish I was exaggerating
I know your friend recommended it to you, but maybe there are a couple of things he/she hasn't experienced/didn't mention. WVS is absolutely not "the best in Hamilton student living".

*Edit*
I wanted to mention this earlier but I forgot: Regarding what Leeoku said about securing a spot, that is the purpose of the deposit, but I wouldn't worry at all about securing a spot because there are lots of empty rooms in the building. They're apparently having a hard time securing people, and so the rent keeps going up every year.

Last edited by JumbotronDave : 04-15-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2014 at 07:02 PM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Silver.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 04-15-2014 at 07:16 PM   #5
JumbotronDave

I didn't say it wasn't unlivable, I said there are some benefits but I feel that the cons are way worse and not worth the money you pay. For the amount you pay as a tenant there, you would expect way better service.
Old 04-15-2014 at 08:21 PM   #6
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

personally I would not recommend you live there. The internet is garbage, the management is pretty idiotic, and overly priced.

cheers!
Old 04-15-2014 at 10:31 PM   #7
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

It is completely legal for any landlords to require a deposit of last month rent. This is under Ontario's law.

http://www.ontariotenants.ca /law/act07.phtml#RTA106

Do keep in mind that they are suppose to pay you interests on such deposit at the end of the year. Make sure to let them know that you know about this legal requirement when you sign the lease and hand over the deposit.

A friend of mine lived there and he love it. It is very spacious! Internet has its quirks but if anything, it motivate him to stay on campus to complete his work.

The location is amazing. Bus stop directly in front of the place, tons of shops and restaurants surrounding the apartment.

He never had problem with management and quite enjoy his stay. Last time I talked to him, he said he will be continuing his stay.

Have you taken a tour of the West Village Suites yet? I promise you will instantly fall in love with the place.

Another possibility is to look into student housing provided by City of Hamilton. You get bachelor apartment for $525.

http://www.hamilton.ca/HealthandSoci...g/features.htm

That particular location is also very convenient. Close to buses, mall, and everything else. Just make sure you get a unit that is not facing the street and is in the upper floor as that area can be a bit noisy.

Other than that, since you obviously have a bigger price range than most students, find someone and rent a two bedrooms apartment. There is a truck load of apartments by the Main and Whitney area.

Good luck! Don't be scare of West Village Suites. There is a minority that did not enjoy their stay and will actively boycott it while the rest of the tenants loving the convenient, design and purpose of such establishment. If it wasn't the case then your grad student friend won't have highly recommended it.
Old 04-24-2014 at 08:45 AM   #8
CM22

Thanks for the responses everyone!

To hillbilly, I knew they could ask for a deposit for last month once you actually have a room. I've never heard of anywhere asking for it just to APPLY to possibly get a room.