Mac Closed Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-15-2007 06:19 PM

Westdale Laundromat= Closed????

Old 01-20-2011 at 08:24 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
it actually did go up in price, but only by $0.25, not really a big deal i suppose considering they will probably work better.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/Building_...s/laundry.html
Oh thanks. It didn't say anything about that in the email they sent out. True, I would hope so!
Old 01-20-2011 at 08:37 PM   #17
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

No laundry machine at home? =/ Wash it the old fashioned way!
Old 01-20-2011 at 09:33 PM   #18
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
it actually did go up in price, but only by $0.25, not really a big deal i suppose considering they will probably work better.

A few years ago we got 'new' machines in Whidden ... they were definitely not new and didn't work too well
Old 01-20-2011 at 09:47 PM   #19
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Ahh Laudromats.... Best place to meet hot chicks.
Old 01-22-2011 at 02:08 AM   #20
_N/A_

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:

Yeah, I know it's not that much more. But I've had students complaining to me. And I've really never been to a laundromat and have no idea what costs are like there. The argument of it being too high or anything lot that makes a lot more sense if I can put it in context.

Plus really it's more like 50 cents more, since it is 25 more for wash and 25 more for dry. Little things, but they can add up.

I find the whole "must add money to card online using credit card or debit (for select banks only... CIBC is not one of these banks)" more annoying than anything else. And the if you lose your card you not only pay 5$ to replace it, but lose any money you had on there. I guess you're not likely to put a fortune on there at once, but that would be really annoying.
Old 01-23-2011 at 08:16 AM   #21
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _N/A_ View Post
Yeah, I know it's not that much more. But I've had students complaining to me. And I've really never been to a laundromat and have no idea what costs are like there. The argument of it being too high or anything lot that makes a lot more sense if I can put it in context.

Plus really it's more like 50 cents more, since it is 25 more for wash and 25 more for dry. Little things, but they can add up.

I find the whole "must add money to card online using credit card or debit (for select banks only... CIBC is not one of these banks)" more annoying than anything else. And the if you lose your card you not only pay 5$ to replace it, but lose any money you had on there. I guess you're not likely to put a fortune on there at once, but that would be really annoying.
Fair enough. I kinda like the idea of the card though, it's not like theres a minimum you must add on to there, you can even add $1, so they're not really trying to screw you over in that respect. Also, it's much more convenient because I never have change lying around so I end up having to go the bank machine, withdraw $20 and then get change for it, which is a huge hassle. Also, it may be another extra $0.50 but I don't think people do laundry multiple times a month that it would influence them at much.

Also logically, if someone lives in res, and payed >5000 dollars to be here, presumably they can spare an extra $.50.
Old 01-23-2011 at 01:59 PM   #22
_N/A_

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Fair enough. I kinda like the idea of the card though, it's not like theres a minimum you must add on to there, you can even add $1, so they're not really trying to screw you over in that respect. Also, it's much more convenient because I never have change lying around so I end up having to go the bank machine, withdraw $20 and then get change for it, which is a huge hassle. Also, it may be another extra $0.50 but I don't think people do laundry multiple times a month that it would influence them at much.

Also logically, if someone lives in res, and payed >5000 dollars to be here, presumably they can spare an extra $.50.
Oh I know. In those respects it's a great system. They've been talking about it for years. It's just those slightly annoying little things.
Old 01-23-2011 at 04:42 PM   #23
Starkad

Liked: 21 Times

In some respects it is more convenient. It will be nice if the machines function better, and supposedly if they break it is the company that is now responsible for the repairs or replacement (hopefully this means that the repairs will happen faster).

Personally however, I take the stance that this change was not necessary. Also the price of using the machines increases by .25$ apiece, however you neglect to include that charging your card (assuming you are with one of the select banks) also costs you a POS fee.

I'd also like to know the prices of local coin-washes.
Old 01-24-2011 at 10:53 AM   #24
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkad View Post
In some respects it is more convenient. It will be nice if the machines function better, and supposedly if they break it is the company that is now responsible for the repairs or replacement (hopefully this means that the repairs will happen faster).

Personally however, I take the stance that this change was not necessary. Also the price of using the machines increases by .25$ apiece, however you neglect to include that charging your card (assuming you are with one of the select banks) also costs you a POS fee.

I'd also like to know the prices of local coin-washes.
I guess to avoid the POS fee you could use a credit card, and if someone doesn't have one then I can see that being inconvenient but you could always just borrow one from parents?

As I mentioned before, there's a laundromat at 418 Whitney, and their machines start at $2.25 and go up from there. (I just called them right now)
Old 02-09-2011 at 02:50 PM   #25
pdixon

Liked: 0 Times

westdale laundromat
I was just poking around online and saw this. The laundromat has closed but I have just purchased it this week. It is in a shambles but I will have it up and running by the first weekend in March. I will be posting signs tomorrow. Everything will be working, it will be cleaned, I'll an internet connection etc. Can you please pass this info aong to the Mac community. I am a grad and used to use the same place so I know how valuable it is to the community. It will be open from 8 am to 10 pm.

If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected]

thanks
Paul Dixon

RyanC says thanks to pdixon for this post.
Old 02-27-2011 at 06:02 PM   #26
pdixon

westdale laundromat update
Everything is on schedule to open on March 5th (not the 6th as I wrote on the sign). All 16 washers are up and running and 2 new dryer stacks will be installed to replace the ones that were not repairable. The palce is all painted now and the change machine will be installed this week. I'm just waiting on Cogeco for the internet installation and seeing if I can have the vending machine repaired. New front and back doors are installed and the security camera system will be installed as well. The front door will be on a timer opening up at 8 am and locking at 10 pm. If there are any questions or comments, please list them here or e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks
Paul
Old 03-07-2011 at 01:50 PM   #27
pdixon

I have confirmation from cogeco that the internet will be hooked up on thursday. Also the change machine company will have all of their work completed this week as well. For now the Pita Pit has my change and are happy to get it to you. The cost for a wash has stayed at $2.00 per load and the dryers have stayed the same as well. It's the cheapest in the are and all of the equipment is working well.
Old 03-09-2011 at 11:20 AM   #28
pdixon

hours change
I was there late last nght and met a few people who suggested I keep it open until 11 pm. will go down tomorrow and change the timer on the door and the lights. So it will no be open until 11 pm with the lights going off just after 12. The internet is getting hooked up today so will be connected to the router tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2011 at 10:45 PM   #29
pdixon

The change machine should be functional tomorrow. If not the Pita pit sill has change to give out. The internet is in but the router needs to be properly configured for safety purposes. Prtobably a week before that can happen. the hours are nor 8-11 with the lights going out at about 12:15 ish. There is one light that stays on for security purposes. It's been great getting to meet some of you. thank you for your patronage and pplease let me know how I can improve the service.
Old 03-21-2011 at 07:19 AM   #30
pdixon

I was away for the week on a much needed vacation. I was back down last night to find out the change machine isn't working properly. I will have it sorted ot today and let you know when it will be fixed (right this time). The router should be set up this seek so that the wi-fi conection is free to use.