MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One Bag Limit laurastevens MacInsiders Announcements 29 03-27-2010 02:29 AM
Learnlink - What is my User ID and Password? Neilius Academics 3 01-06-2009 02:24 PM

What's the user limit on MUGSI?

Old 08-11-2008 at 09:31 PM   #1
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

What's the user limit on MUGSI?
It seriously cannot be that difficult for a university to develop a web application and run it on a server which can handle 30,000 users at a given point in time. We have how many Comp Sci and Software Eng grads each year? Why don't you geniuses get your heads out of your a$$e$ and see if there's any home grown talent within our walls?

It would be done for free, so you wouldn't have to throw money out the window to consulting companies and can put it towards beefing up the servers so that they don't go down like clockwork. I wonder how many P1's (that's Pentium 1 processors) you have running this PoS (hint: NOT point of sale).

Is there anyone here that works for UTS who can shed some light on why we have to go through this BS every single year?

Last edited by DannyV : 08-11-2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added the image
Old 08-11-2008 at 09:33 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

No idea, but sometimes it feels like it's 2.

Chad works for UTS but I don't know if he'd know.

Old 08-11-2008 at 09:44 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

It's true... doesn't part of our tuition go to this stuff? I mean, how expensive can it be to get a big enough server for one or two months every year?
Old 08-11-2008 at 09:53 PM   #4
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I don't think our tuition goes to this kind of thing but I can't be positive.

I think the biggest problem is that the school sees it as functional and therefore not worth fixing. It doesn't function efficiently but it works eventually and therein lies the problem.

Old 08-12-2008 at 09:22 AM   #5
tam123
Sci-co Rep

Liked: 1 Time

our tuition does not go towards it im afraid, and as far as the board of mcmaster is concerned about it, this is not a matter that is up for consideration of upgrade, i should know, as i appealed that decision but in any event, the only way they will warrant an upgrade of the system (which btw would mean a bigger server, faster modem, and better main comp to handle such), it will need to be pressured by the msu who is our voice to the council, so.....go pester azim
Old 08-12-2008 at 09:49 AM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I think it's interesting how the MSU has a policy about the registration system already.. You might find it interesting to give it a good read:
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/cbp/2006_...m_P olicy.pdf

Pay particular attention to the recommendations.. lol a lot of them are still very relevant

We are looking into this policy in the SRA Operations committee.. George Farjou (SRA Hth Sci) is taking it on as his personal project.
Old 08-12-2008 at 10:06 AM   #7
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

GAAAAARRHGGGHHHH!!! I need to get into 3 specific courses to graduate this year and they were full before.. I just want to be able to log in to see if I can get into them now!! WAAAH!
Old 08-12-2008 at 10:48 AM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

So what influence does an MSU policy have on how things are run by the administration?

KaesoPublius says thanks to DannyV for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 11:20 AM   #9
KaesoPublius
SRA Member

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
So what influence does an MSU policy have on how things are run by the administration?

GREAT question Danny!

MSU policy influences the university administration in a few ways. The most direct influence comes through the Board of Directors of the MSU, who are bound by our policies to lobby on behalf of the students in accordance to the goals laid out by our policies. The BoD meet regularly with university administration where they lay out our policies and positions and let them know how the students feel. We use things like private one on one meetings, presidential advisory committee meetings and administrative consultation meetings to press our policies.

Administrative Consultation (Admin-Con) meetings are where every administrator on campus gathers together to discuss issues of policy and administration that affect the students and the university and our lovely Board of Directors always go to the Admin-Con meetings. We use these venues to make our policies clear and to lobby and press for things the students want (as outlined in policy, bylaws, referenda etc).

Some students might be surprised that the university does listen to the MSU quite closely and they do take us, and the students at large quite seriously, and if we make it clear that certain policies and initiatives are priorities they tend to listen to us

Once again, fab question.

Also, what Temara said was true, we (the Operations Committee) are reviewing the Registration System Policy under the leadership of Mr. Farjou and all input is welcome. When we have our meeting about that policy in more specific terms I will post a notice in this thread so all interested parties can attend the meeting and provide us with input

Last edited by KaesoPublius : 08-12-2008 at 11:29 AM.

DannyV, temara.brown all say thanks to KaesoPublius for this post.