MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

What's your program and why?

Old 08-16-2011 at 11:02 AM   #46
gmoney

Liked: 21 Times

First Year: Life Sci

Second Year + : Biochem

I chose biochem over general life sci and biology, because it seemed to provide a (more) clear path to a job after undergrad compared to a more general science degree. The Biotechnology specialization of Biochem offers great research experience for a future in grad school or industry.

Also, I chose Biochem (over Chembio) for the co-op option: at the time I applied to chembio, there was no co-op available (I believe there is now). Co-op is an amazing way to expand (in my case, create) your network of connections with people in your industry.
Co-op = connections = high(er) possibility of job after undergrad

lux likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:24 AM   #47
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Going into first year Computer Science, and I chose this over all the other universities I got accepted to because of the beautiful campus, the nice atmosphere and overall energy I felt when I arrived here as compared to other universities.

enarab likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:56 AM   #48
Hopefull

Liked: 4 Times

Earth Sciences because I didnt want engineering (Im brown)

AdelaisAer, Ish001, RyanC like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 11:59 AM   #49
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times

After reading each and every one of your responses, I have realized just how diverse this University is.

Seriously, usually I only see Engineers, Humanities or Nursing students around, especially during Welcome Week. o-o; Nice to see many people here from all sorts of different programs I didn't even know existed.

Also, I really appreciated the long responses people took the time to write. As for the (literally) 3-sentence-long responses, put some more details into it.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:17 PM   #50
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidawg View Post
Identity theft. We are the same people lmao.

Going into Biochem because Chembio sounded too hipster
And I'm going into Chembio since Biochem is too mainstream! (actually I liked my chem labs more than my bio labs and the co-op option is a bonus)

AdelaisAer, Jenn, nerual, Vaidawg like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:31 PM   #51
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Software engineering because computers are a pretty big deal.

Andrew A likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 12:36 PM   #52
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Software engineering because computers are a pretty big deal.
and can do a hundred billion instructions per second and doesn't afraid of anything

Andrew A, enarab, justinsftw like this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:00 PM   #53
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Computer Science because that's what interested me most through high school, other than physics, and was what I did best in by far (still didn't do too badly in physics or chemistry either). I'm pretty sure I want to go to grad school, and then I'd like to be doing research. So basically I plan to spend my entire life on a university campus.

I'm such a cool kid.

*cry*

enarab likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:44 PM   #54
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

sociology, because I've never been so passionate about the study of anything else.

tatski-p likes this.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:59 PM   #55
Jenn

Liked: 5 Times

Chemical biology
I chose it mostly because I wasn't very into physics, or enviro-sci, and thought psych wasn't "sciencey enough" since I really enjoy labwork. Pure chem was too much physics and a bit too theoretical, and biochem has a bit too much biology courses that required much memorizing (my memory is horrible), and I wasn't that into proteins or genes. I liked chemistry, but I needed it to be applicable, so chem-bio sounded like a plausible choice.
So it was a bit of a process of elimination for me, and it's been a great choice so far! I like the small program and the material is pretty intriguing, the workload has been heavier than I has expected, so all in all, a good 2 years spent here at Mac!
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:44 PM   #56
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

Engineering:

LOL I like physics.

Last edited by yaroslav64 : 08-16-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:50 PM   #57
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Lol a degree that actually gets you a job.
Old 08-16-2011 at 03:57 PM   #58
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaroslav64 View Post
Engineering:

My Grandpa was an engineer, my dad was an engineer, It's in my blood. My parents said I had to go for a degree that would actually get me a job (No philosophy, english, sociology etc) or they wouldnt pay for it. Surprisingly enough I already wanted to be an engineer. I guess I'm one of those rare cases?

I've always been really good with practical stuff, if I can relate something to real life I like it. I always thought it was strange that everyone said physics was hard when I thought it was the easiest thing ever. So I decided I'd go into something that allowed me to use my love of problem solving and physics to create and fix things. Bam engineering, I also like the job prospects, the fact you can be a professional with only a bachelors and the pay.

My parents are super proud of me for choosing Mac engineering but I know for a fact I decided on it for myself and not to gain my parents approval. As for the reason I chose Mac it was between Mac, Guelph, and UOttawa and Mac felt like it was an engineering school if you know what I mean. It didnt feel like an after thought like it did at guelph, and ottawa is too french and too far.

BTW I'm not saying there are no job prospects for english, philosophy etc, they're just not traditional career paths that my parents approve of.
you seem like a good kid, but word of advice: get off your high horse.

britb, J. Dorey, L'Étoile, Manley, _Luu_ all say thanks to tyrant for this post.

Old 08-16-2011 at 04:07 PM   #59
yaroslav64

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
you seem like a good kid, but word of advice: get off your high horse.
Screw it

12chars

Last edited by yaroslav64 : 08-16-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2011 at 05:14 PM   #60
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Year 1: Life Sci, why?
Because Waterloo was too expensive for residence+eng, and U of T eng was way too far of a commute. I didn't want to do business at mac, so I randomly chose science (the only science program that I had applied to).

Year 2 and beyond:
I chose a physics major, because everything else was too easy. Looking back, I probably should've left science for electrical engineering. Nevertheless, physics has been painfully challenging but also good fun. I've met some wonderful people along the way, and have worked in some pretty cool jobs.

So, if you're considering a physics related major, I would recommend it, but only to those who are not afraid of reading, writing, physics and math. If you are a resourceful person and feel that you can adapt to any situation, then you will make an awesome physicist.

Future:
Looks like I'll be going to grad school for science or eng. Med school is still an option but I'm more into the r&d side of healthcare than actually being a physician. Might just go for an MD/PhD and become a physician scientist, who knows.

Since nobody wants to study physics, finding a job won't be difficult. A grad degree, technical skills and some programming knowledge should be enough to find work later on.