MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redsuits Suspended admin MacInsiders Announcements 74 02-01-2014 02:40 PM
Redsuits... Kevin_92 General Discussion 15 09-24-2013 07:58 PM
Who's Your Candidate? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-29-2012 10:46 PM
MSU Presidential Candidate Videos Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 01-27-2012 04:17 PM

Which Candidate will Re-Instate Redsuits?

Old 01-27-2014 at 12:53 AM   #1
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Which Candidate will Re-Instate Redsuits?
Which candidate has the guts to do what's right?

A Union is meant to protect their paying members from the administration/bosses. If a worker fucks up on the factory floor (not something crazy bad) a good union will protect that member, and def. not let the bosses attack a whole group of members for the mistakes of a few.

Which candidate actual believes in unions and protecting their members? Which one doesn't bend over for the admin (who by the way do shit like try and keep wages down for the hard working staff, hire more and more sessional profs etc - the admin are not our friends.)

If there is no candidate that is willing to stand up to the Administration of McMaster everyone should boycott the election, b/c we may as well just have the admin run the school - they will be a useless rep. Engineers should def. boycott the entire election if this is the case.

(for the record, i dont even like the redsuits, but this is standard union practice)

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-27-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2014 at 01:02 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Why exactly do you think the Redsuits should be 're-instated'?
Old 01-27-2014 at 01:05 AM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

freedom of association
the majority did nothing wrong
pretty simple

you don't have to like em' to know they shouldn't be banned.

But my opinion doesn't matter. more importantly is how the candidates can stand up for their union members - that is why they exist, right?

(Can someone direct them to this thread?)

ps. The current MSU pres David Campbell has failed his members already and should be recalled asap.

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-27-2014 at 01:11 AM.

qwerty91 likes this.
Old 01-31-2014 at 12:28 AM   #4
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Mnnnnn dang the last things I posted recently is gonna get so much hate and even more now, but to be honest, we all know full well that if the Red Suits were to be audited they will 100% not pass as an organization the school will support and we know why. Mac wants to maintain their credibility and when people notice one flaw from an organization many more will be spawned. I think creating something that is new but like Red Suits would be the best alternative and a good way to move forward to make something even bigger! my zero dollars (as two cents is now rounded to zero)
Old 01-31-2014 at 12:48 AM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
Mnnnnn dang the last things I posted recently is gonna get so much hate and even more now, but to be honest, we all know full well that if the Red Suits were to be audited they will 100% not pass as an organization the school will support and we know why. Mac wants to maintain their credibility and when people notice one flaw from an organization many more will be spawned. I think creating something that is new but like Red Suits would be the best alternative and a good way to move forward to make something even bigger! my zero dollars (as two cents is now rounded to zero)
First off the Redsuits cannot be audited. Only the McMaster Engineering Society can be (they are 'in charge' of the redsuits). Secondly unless you are a part of the MES executive or part of their elected team you really have no clue how their finances are handled. Saying they would '100% not pass an audit' is just a biased opinion on your part. It's actually questionable whether any society at mac would pass an Audit considering none (to my knowledge) hire a full time accountant.

I understand that the redsuits have a love-hate relationship with many people. Perhaps the university wanted a better handle on them. However the university could have handled the whole situation of this song book a lot better rather than tarnishing the reputation of all redsuits and mac engineers in general for the work of four people (three of whom were not redsuits). Starting an investigation made sense given the circumstances; but automatically suspending the group, suspending all eng events, and then publicizing that decision to the media...all before that investigation was complete... was simply wrong.
Old 01-31-2014 at 02:04 AM   #6
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
First off the Redsuits cannot be audited. Only the McMaster Engineering Society can be (they are 'in charge' of the redsuits). Secondly unless you are a part of the MES executive or part of their elected team you really have no clue how their finances are handled. Saying they would '100% not pass an audit' is just a biased opinion on your part. It's actually questionable whether any society at mac would pass an Audit considering none (to my knowledge) hire a full time accountant.

I understand that the redsuits have a love-hate relationship with many people. Perhaps the university wanted a better handle on them. However the university could have handled the whole situation of this song book a lot better rather than tarnishing the reputation of all redsuits and mac engineers in general for the work of four people (three of whom were not redsuits). Starting an investigation made sense given the circumstances; but automatically suspending the group, suspending all eng events, and then publicizing that decision to the media...all before that investigation was complete... was simply wrong.
Of course you can find out how the finances are handled, every club at the university has to produce some sort of account. Have you looked at the financial statements of the MES, in my personal opinion; disgusting, inefficient and needs more transparency considering the amount of funds they are dealing with. I do think that problem needs to be addressed, Finance roles of any club should be only taken by commerce accounting majors, there needs to be better credibility.

But going beyond that I used the wrong word, I mean probe not audit. Furthermore, you have to think on the perspective of the University. The University has the responsibility to put an end to anything that is deemed wrong if it is brought to their attention. You can say that it has been tradition for years, or what ever, it simply wasn't brought to the attention of the University. Once it is brought to their attention, they have to act or they will be considered supporting the actions. If this was the business faculty I will assure you half of what MES does are against all professionalism and will be cut in an heartbeat! Don't just think that you are in the Engineering faculty that this means they are immune to anything, you still have to play within the books.
Old 01-31-2014 at 10:41 AM   #7
BenDover
Account Locked

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
Of course you can find out how the finances are handled, every club at the university has to produce some sort of account. Have you looked at the financial statements of the MES, in my personal opinion; disgusting, inefficient and needs more transparency considering the amount of funds they are dealing with. I do think that problem needs to be addressed, Finance roles of any club should be only taken by commerce accounting majors, there needs to be better credibility.

But going beyond that I used the wrong word, I mean probe not audit. Furthermore, you have to think on the perspective of the University. The University has the responsibility to put an end to anything that is deemed wrong if it is brought to their attention. You can say that it has been tradition for years, or what ever, it simply wasn't brought to the attention of the University. Once it is brought to their attention, they have to act or they will be considered supporting the actions. If this was the business faculty I will assure you half of what MES does are against all professionalism and will be cut in an heartbeat! Don't just think that you are in the Engineering faculty that this means they are immune to anything, you still have to play within the books.
So when someone tells the University that something wrong has been done, the first action should be to suspend the entire faculty's student union? I'm sorry i was under the impression that the investigation would have to be conducted to gain information from all sides before a final decision/punishment could be decided upon. You seem to think that just because we are engineers, we are trying to fight for some special treatment. This is not the case at all. I cannot speak for the MES, but im sure many in the engineering faculty do not agree with the rash and immediate penalties handed out by the University's administration.
And yes it was nice seeing our MSU (That U stands for UNION right?) throw the MES under the bus immediately before even contacting MES executives on the matter. At least it is my understanding from what I have read over the past however many days that the judgement was made prior to the MES gaining full understanding of the situation.
Old 01-31-2014 at 11:12 AM   #8
andrew22
Account Locked

David Campbell
Please respond.

Why have you not supported your union members? I thnk this is a fairly serious problem, and cannot see why engineers/MES would not cut contact and boycott your administration over it - as currently you do not represent them, but merely work for the school.

Any response? someone run tell him