MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Which program?

Old 12-03-2008 at 11:11 AM   #1
Skylar

Liked: 1 Time

Which program?
So I visited McMaster about a week ago (along with a few other universities) and it was clear to me that McMaster is the place I want to be for the next four years.

But because I have such a wide variety of interests, I dont know which 3 programs I should apply to.

I was thinking Arts&Sciences, Integrated Sciences, Life Sciences or Health Sciences, but I can only choose three.

I have a 96 average, so I dont think my admission will be limited because of my marks. It's just difficult to make a choice; even eliminating one will mean regret.

I have taken a wide variety of courses--tech courses, science courses, social sciences, gym, etc--so I know that Arts&Science is well suited for me.

But of the other three, which two should I choose?!

I don't know what I want to be yet, and I really dont even know what I want to study. So any opinions is going to have to be based on which program is simply better for someone who is clueless....

Thanks so much for your time!
Old 12-03-2008 at 12:45 PM   #2
gregster

Liked: 0 Times

I can pretty well assure you that you can get into any program with a 96 average. That's assuming you can do well on a supplemental application if the program has those (I think Health Sci does).
Old 12-03-2008 at 01:03 PM   #3
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

If you're going to apply to health sciences, I don't think you shouldn't apply to life sciences as well. My friend applied to health sci and didn't get in, so they gave her acceptance to life sci. With your average, I'm sure that'd happen as well if they didn't accept you into health sci, which I hear is entirely based off your supplementary once you're past the cut-off.

However, health sci is only good if you know that you DEFINITELY want to be a doctor. It perhaps isn't the best choice for you. My friend who's in health sci and is unsure of whether she actually wants to be a doctor is considering switching to life sci just because it's a lot more broad.

Artsci however sounds great for you since it's where are the smart undecided people go! Make sure you enjoy writing, though, because they have writing courses.

I'm not familiar with integrated sciences so I can't say anything about that. From a quick glance over the website, it seems like if you want to be a researcher, that'd be perfect for you.

McMaster's a great place so whatever you pick, I'm sure you'll love it as much as we all do!
Old 12-03-2008 at 02:02 PM   #4
nicole.h

I agree with the above posters. If you are uncertain about going to med school in the future, I would avoid health sci. My friend who is going to go to med school went into life sci because it is more broad and you are more free to take courses that you want. She has taken a lot of health sci courses as well.
Old 12-03-2008 at 06:11 PM   #5
Skylar

Thank you
Thanks everyone for your opinions

Okay, then I think Im going to eliminate Health Sciences from my list, though I must admit I do so rather reluctantly...I almost feel obligated to apply, as everyone else has been telling me to, because it is the most prestigious program.
But if I dont know what I want to do, I suppose it's smart to eliminate such a narrow program from the list of options.

Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2008 at 09:29 PM   #6
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

I actually suggest you apply to Health Sciences just in case you regret not doing so later. But even if you don't, you can still apply to transfer so don't feel too limited on your choices.
Old 12-03-2008 at 09:41 PM   #7
conradchi

A misconception about health sci is that everyone are med school hopefuls. Although a lot of them are, the program isn't a a prep for you to get in. Even if you think you might wanna get into med school right now, you might find out during your time in university that you want to something else, and that's totally fine.

The program emphasizes research and problem-solving, and that might be something that you enjoy. Plus, it's a great tight-knit community. Just don't apply to the program because of prestige: it's more important to spend the next few years of your life doing something that you'll actually enjoy, than be able to say that you made it into the program.
Old 12-10-2008 at 05:24 PM   #8
olenakit

I would probably checkout what classes you have to take in first year.
I honestly didnt think of doing this until I was accepting a university offer and it would probably have eliminated some of my choices.
For me, I was debating between Lifesci, Artsci and Kin - and I decided to go into Artsci because it wasnt so strictly science - so look into what classes you would have to be taking and see if they are of interest to you.

Last edited by olenakit : 12-10-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2008 at 08:21 PM   #9
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

My friend was on the same boat as you, he chose Life Sciences. Health Sciences requires a high average 90s, apparently life science is more competitive. Meh.