MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easier program to make stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 04-08-2012 05:18 PM
Which one's easier? ishk33 Academics 3 01-11-2011 07:39 PM
Researching online just got easier! KristaG MacInsiders Announcements 7 03-10-2010 09:20 AM
which is an easier elective?? ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-11-2009 01:14 PM

which year is easier?

Old 05-05-2012 at 01:03 AM   #16
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgdynasty View Post
Thanks for the tips. I tried to take 2z03 this summer but it was full. I did alright in the 3 math courses for first year although 1zc3 was my lowest mark. is 2z03 even remotely similar to any of those 3 math courses?
I didnt find any similarities, but the biggest thing I found in second year math is you have to learn all the potential wordings of the problems. I did every single problem in the textbook assigned (and some extra) and I passed 1 of the 4 tests last year. I found the wording got me more then anything, since I didn't know what to approach to use.

The other big thing is to just do your best and try not to get discouraged by your mark. As I said I failed 3 of the 4 tests and bombed both finals and still passed, but I was crushed after first semester since I thought I would have to retake it and was very surprised when I got my mark back

Edit: I also got 6 in 1zc3 and much better in the other 2 in first year, just in case you thought I was slacking

lgdynasty says thanks to Snowman for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 06:19 AM   #17
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

for me... third
Old 05-05-2012 at 08:47 AM   #18
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

My first year workload was a lot easier than second year; however my grades were much better in second than first year. I found the workload to be a lot more intense; however 8 of my 10 courses were primarily focused on my major and therefore were loads more interesting to study for. From my experience, most people’s grades improve as they progress through their years as you gain a better understanding of how to succeed in university.
Old 05-05-2012 at 10:38 AM   #19
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

i did better on my second year than my first year and workload and schedule were a little lighter and more relaxed. It just depends on the person really. I have yet to find out how am i going to do in my third and fourth year...
Old 05-05-2012 at 11:14 AM   #20
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

You know what i realized? Everyone lies.

You get to pre-kindergarten, they tell you to prepare for kindergarten because it's f*cking hard. So you do, you learn how to not piss on the floor etc. Then you get to kindergarten, they tell you primary school is an unforgiving place and you need to be a responsible child and listen to rules. So you get there, and all they tell you is how you need to learn cursive writing because everyone in middle school uses it and middle school is ridiculously hard. Then you get to middle school, and all they do is prepare you for high school because in high school, no one is going to baby you, and they'll use cursive, all the time.

You get to high school, and all they say is "be prepared for post-secondary! you'll write a million essays a day, and your profs are going to hate your guts and not give two craps about you!". Plus, of course you'll use cursive there...

Then you get to first year, "Don't worry, first year is the hardest year!". Then you get to second year, "Oh, actually, no, second year is the hardest year!". I'm assuming the pattern persists until the day we die, am i mistaken?

Old 05-05-2012 at 09:24 PM   #21
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post

You get to pre-kindergarten, they tell you to prepare for kindergarten because it's f*cking hard. So you do, you learn how to not piss on the floor etc. Then you get to kindergarten, they tell you primary school is an unforgiving place and you need to be a responsible child and listen to rules. So you get there, and all they tell you is how you need to learn cursive writing because everyone in middle school uses it and middle school is ridiculously hard. Then you get to middle school, and all they do is prepare you for high school because in high school, no one is going to baby you, and they'll use cursive, all the time.

You get to high school, and all they say is "be prepared for post-secondary! you'll write a million essays a day, and your profs are going to hate your guts and not give two craps about you!". Plus, of course you'll use cursive there...

Then you get to first year, "Don't worry, first year is the hardest year!". Then you get to second year, "Oh, actually, no, second year is the hardest year!". I'm assuming the pattern persists until the day we die, am i mistaken?
For some reason, I'm really glad that you're an engineer.

/completely off-topic

adaptation likes this.
Old 05-05-2012 at 09:39 PM   #22
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post

That's it, more or less, until you're over the hill and past your prime/peak, and everyone's like, "It can only get worse now..."

I was thinking about how my post was a joke, but then I reread it and found it sad, wanting to take it back. However, it's true.
Old 05-05-2012 at 10:40 PM   #23
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
That's it, more or less, until you're over the hill and past your prime/peak, and everyone's like, "It can only get worse now..."

I was thinking about how my post was a joke, but then I reread it and found it sad, wanting to take it back. However, it's true.
Even then, you'll be a few years from retirement and the already retired people will tell you "You think WORK is hard? wait until you're bored around the house and you have to get the remote with a bad hip! it only gets harder... plus... you'll be writing to all your grand-kids in cursive... so keep practising..."