MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Year Length (In Weeks) MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2010 12:59 AM
Does the first summer school class run the whole length? goldfish101 Academics 1 05-02-2010 02:16 PM
Length of Classes jhan523 Academics 10 06-08-2009 02:28 PM
Residence Rule (Technical Question) mike_302 Residence & Housing 10 03-23-2009 07:21 PM

Why no rule for length of shorts at the gym?

Old 10-20-2009 at 08:58 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Why no rule for length of shorts at the gym?
At the Mac gym, there are rules saying you can't wear tank tops and you can't wear shirts that show your midriff.
Why are there no rules against short-shorts?

I have no problem with short-shorts at any other time. But I think it's really gross when I can see someone's bum cheeks while I'm working out, or when someone sits on the equipment with their bare bum touching the seat.

I've even seen a girl wearing such tiny shorts that I could see her nether region :(

How come there are no rules for this kind of attire?

(Sorry if this offends anyone)
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:06 PM   #2
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

http://www-athrec.mcmaster.ca/fitness/about/rules.htm

10: Bottoms/Pants: Short or long track pants, wind pants or tights are permitted. Cut-offs and trousers with zippers are not permitted.

mangoiiko likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:10 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

That doesn't say anything about the length of the shorts though. "Cut-offs" are just jeans cut into shorts.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:10 PM   #4
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post

10: Bottoms/Pants: Short or long track pants, wind pants or tights are permitted. Cut-offs and trousers with zippers are not permitted.
that link definately took you to a site of posters for pink floyd etc...lol
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:11 PM   #5
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Seems weird doesn't it.

Nice bum poster in the link
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:14 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, I can barely stand seeing naked people in the changing room -- I don't want to see that when I'm working out. Nasty.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:14 PM   #7
Charbs

try that one
i hate that no tank tops... i hate wearing t-shirts when im working out, tank tops are way better...not like spaghetti straps mind you...but tshirts suckkkk
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:18 PM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

I've heard that the reason you can't wear tank tops is because it can discourage people while working out. If some guy is lifting weights and sees a completely ripped guy in a tank top, he might look at him and be like "I'll never look like that, why am I even trying".

I'm not sure if that reasoning is even true. If it is, then it makes even more sense that short-shorts shouldn't be allowed.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:23 PM   #9
Charbs

well short shorts shouldnt be allowed because its unsanitary and offensive to see someone goods hangin out lol
In orientation I remember this girl had little jogging shorts on and her cheeks were hangin out.. like really, if you dont resepct yourself enough not to wear that around, at least expect me enough not to make me see it lol
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:27 PM   #10
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

People should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I'm still pissed that I can't deadlift in barefeet/socks.

If people want to dress like that, why is it your problem? Don't stare at their ass. Focus on your own workout. It pisses me off that everyone has to "be the same".

And if you can't handle seeing naked people in the change room... then let us know when you're out of elementary school.

Edit: regarding the intimidation factor; everyone has to get over that. Do you think the particularly muscular people were born that way? They too were smaller/not in best shape at some point. Stop worrying about everyone else.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:31 PM   #11
Kathy2
Elite Member

It's hard not to look at someone's butt when I'm on a bike and they're on the stairclimber or elliptical infront of me.

It's not like I'm starring. But once I see someone's butt and vag, I can't un-see it. And it's pretty gross that those sweaty parts are touching the equipment, especially since not everyone sprays and wipes down when they are done.

This isn't about "Everyone should dress the same". I see people in short-shorts all the time at school, at the mall, at the movies, etc. and I don't care. But in the gym, there should be rules about this kind of thing. Other people's ass, ****** and ball sweat (yes, I've seen guys in tiny shorts too) is nasty.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-20-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:35 PM   #12
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbs View Post
well short shorts shouldnt be allowed because its unsanitary and offensive to see someone goods hangin out lol
In orientation I remember this girl had little jogging shorts on and her cheeks were hangin out.. like really, if you dont resepct yourself enough not to wear that around, at least expect me enough not to make me see it lol
Explain to me how short shorts are unsanitary?

And maybe that girl in orienteering had small jogging shorts so that chaffing was reduced? This is a common issue. I think it's impossible for you to determine someone's self respect based on such an insignificant thing.

If it bothers you that much, then don't look. If they are blatantly trying to bother people, then maybe I could understand your ire.

Otherwise.... everyone should just do their own thing.

I'm also not writing these posts as a pervy-male. It annoys me when everyone is being pressured to "be the same" (see previous threads on the feminisation of men - this is the same case, different sex).
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:37 PM   #13
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madquarker View Post
People should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I'm still pissed that I can't deadlift in barefeet/socks.

If people want to dress like that, why is it your problem? Don't stare at their ass. Focus on your own workout. It pisses me off that everyone has to "be the same".

And if you can't handle seeing naked people in the change room... then let us know when you're out of elementary school.

Edit: regarding the intimidation factor; everyone has to get over that. Do you think the particularly muscular people were born that way? They too were smaller/not in best shape at some point. Stop worrying about everyone else.
I second this post. Mainly due to not being able to deadlift/squat in socks/bare feet. For dress code though, I do like it. The other two gyms I've gone to, there is the occasional 300 pound guy wearing a tank, showing far too much skin and tempting me to throw up my lunch. Same with some girls.

However, saying if people dress a certain way, you shouldn't care is plain wrong. Not everyone is the same when they workout, and some people have partial ADD (me) and I look at every thing that moves, guy, girl, person walking outside, etc, its very annoying when someone wears something they should NOT be wearing, and killing any buzz I have going.

Also, for the intimidation factor, I dis-agree with it. You feel intimidated by other people more jacked/fit, so you give up? Then why go to the gym? Being surrounded by other people who don't work hard, don't make progress sounds like a great way to make no progress. As well, if you never can achieve a desired goal, why stop? I don't think anyone in engineering aims to be the guy who goes to McDonalds after dropping out, or a health sci dropping into humanities and so on (yes, extreme examples). We don't make goals based on the absolute minimum achievable goal. We make it based on something far above ourselves so we have something to strive towards.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:40 PM   #14
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Also, for the intimidation factor, I dis-agree with it. You feel intimidated by other people more jacked/fit, so you give up? Then why go to the gym? Being surrounded by other people who don't work hard, don't make progress sounds like a great way to make no progress. As well, if you never can achieve a desired goal, why stop? I don't think anyone in engineering aims to be the guy who goes to McDonalds after dropping out, or a health sci dropping into humanities and so on (yes, extreme examples). We don't make goals based on the absolute minimum achievable goal. We make it based on something far above ourselves so we have something to strive towards.
I'm not saying this IS or ISN'T what happens. A friend and I were talking at the gym about the no tank top rule and some guy told us the "intimidation" thing. I've heard it a few times throughout my years at Mac. I don't know if it's true, but I hear it a lot.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:41 PM   #15
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
It's hard not to look at someone's butt when I'm on a bike and they're on the stairclimber or elliptical infront of me.

It's not like I'm starring. But once I see someone's butt and vag, I can't un-see it. And it's pretty gross that those sweaty parts are touching the equipment, especially since not everyone sprays and wipes down when they are done.

This isn't about "Everyone should dress the same". I see people in short-shorts all the time at school, at the mall, at the movies, etc. and I don't care. But in the gym, there should be rules about this kind of thing. Other people's ass, ****** and ball sweat (yes, I've seen guys in tiny shorts too) is nasty.
Wearing more clothes, or longer clothes won't do a damn thing to stop the sweating. At least the lack of clothing lets people air out body parts, even if it is too small. If the person has more clothing, they will sweat harder, more will seep through the clothes and it will still end up on the equipment. They can either be roasting and wearing a full track suit, or wear almost nothing and be somewhat more comfortable while working out. Which would you choose if you were one of the unlucky people who sweat A LOT while working out? I am one, and I have many friends that have it to various degrees. Working out hard causes you to sweat(to a degree), and I will be damned if I am wearing 3 layers of pants and shirts so I don't sweat on something. I still wipe stuff down, and you can too before you use a machine.