MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Academic Year Length (In Weeks) MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-27-2010 12:59 AM
Does the first summer school class run the whole length? goldfish101 Academics 1 05-02-2010 02:16 PM
Length of Classes jhan523 Academics 10 06-08-2009 02:28 PM
Residence Rule (Technical Question) mike_302 Residence & Housing 10 03-23-2009 07:21 PM

Why no rule for length of shorts at the gym?

Old 10-20-2009 at 09:45 PM   #16
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
Wearing more clothes, or longer clothes won't do a damn thing to stop the sweating. At least the lack of clothing lets people air out body parts, even if it is too small. If the person has more clothing, they will sweat harder, more will seep through the clothes and it will still end up on the equipment. They can either be roasting and wearing a full track suit, or wear almost nothing and be somewhat more comfortable while working out. Which would you choose if you were one of the unlucky people who sweat A LOT while working out? I am one, and I have many friends that have it to various degrees. Working out hard causes you to sweat(to a degree), and I will be damned if I am wearing 3 layers of pants and shirts so I don't sweat on something. I still wipe stuff down, and you can too before you use a machine.
I would rather a drop of some guy's ball sweat touch the bike seat than his actual ball.
Not saying I've actually seen some guy's crotch on any equipment, but people are hanging out all over the place, so I wouldn't doubt it would happen.

I do wipe down every machine before I go on it, specifically because of this. But I don't think shorts that are 2 inches longer are going to make you sweat any more than you normally would. They will, however, aide in keeping some of that sweat off the machines.

I still don't see why your stomach/arms has to be covered but not your ass cheeks. If it's the "intimidation" thing, then I would think ass cheeks should be hidden as much as stomach and arms. I don't know why else you would need to cover your stomach and arms.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 10-20-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:52 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I wish there was a dislike button for madquarker's post.

I don't go to the gym so I don't really care personally but this isn't an issue of "everyone being the same" as they're trying to make it out to be.

People go to the gym to work out, not to look at other people's nether regions. There should be an appropriate dress code, wear whatever clothes you want as long as they're appropriate gym attire and your butt isn't hanging out, that's not exactly highly discriminatory or trying to make people conform to a certain look. They just don't want your private parts hanging out for all the world to see.

Kathy2, Maegs like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:56 PM   #18
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

I highly doubt that wanting everyone to be the same is a reason for the dress code , but I've been wrong before
Old 10-20-2009 at 09:58 PM   #19
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

The "intimidation" debacle isn't false, there's a study posted on the wall at the gym pertaining as to why you can't wear short shirts etc. Short pants, albeit are sometimes unnecessary, I don't mind it at all, even if a guy wears it. It's a little different for me when I see a dude with a HUGE chest and HUGE arms in a tanktop. I would feel more discouraged by a guy like that rather than a guy with jacked legs. Its just the way it works out socially, and I don't think I'm the only one. But if I am, then oops.

daisy says thanks to Willmountain for this post.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:05 PM   #20
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

I still think it's unsanitary in extreme situations. Too bad people can't use common sense.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:08 PM   #21
tungo89
Club G.R.O.S.S.

Liked: 46 Times

I am going to start foregoing underwear and wear short shorts. Anyone else lift at six in the morning?
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:25 PM   #22
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Well if ur not gonna have a dress code in gym, why have it everywhere else? Like why cant u just show up in an underwear or a bikini in ur lectures, or tutorials? maybe even naked?

Its simple, gym is still a place where not everything depends on you but you gotta respect other people as well. If a naked person or someone with extremely minimum clothing showed up, I am sure a few eyes will turn towards them (especially opposite gender), and that can be dangerous in some cases. (If a spotter turns their head and the person benching needs help, he/she could be in some serious trouble!).

But for right now if u see something like that, just change machines.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:30 PM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by madquarker View Post
People should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I'm still pissed that I can't deadlift in barefeet/socks.

If people want to dress like that, why is it your problem? Don't stare at their ass. Focus on your own workout. It pisses me off that everyone has to "be the same".

And if you can't handle seeing naked people in the change room... then let us know when you're out of elementary school.

Edit: regarding the intimidation factor; everyone has to get over that. Do you think the particularly muscular people were born that way? They too were smaller/not in best shape at some point. Stop worrying about everyone else.
It's not like I'm afraid of naked people, just... honestly... some people are not nice to look at. Sorry if that sounds shallow haha. And it's not as if I stare, they just show their goods in front of me.

I honestly don't want to see anyone's ****** when I'm working out, or see anyone's butt cheeks when I'm walking on campus or down the street. It's gross, and degrading to the person who's wearing these show-all clothes.
Old 10-20-2009 at 10:35 PM   #24
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

If cleavage and butt cheeks (of females only) are the issues here at our lovely gym I think I should get membership and inspect the issue further. Now I just need to find my FBI t-shirt somewhere.

What about an entirely nude gym? How many would still go?

Last edited by Goce : 10-20-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2009 at 02:04 AM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
If cleavage and butt cheeks (of females only) are the issues here at our lovely gym I think I should get membership and inspect the issue further. Now I just need to find my FBI t-shirt somewhere.

What about an entirely nude gym? How many would still go?
lol

umm...madquaker, why are you emphasizing "being the same" issue so much? We all are, after all humans...we are the same.

those trying to become "unique" by having a different way of clothing are just fools because appearance doesn't make anyone different, goal of life is not being unique...it's achieving self-satisfaction

And, I haven't been to the gym for such duration as to assess these issues
Old 10-21-2009 at 08:02 AM   #26
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

so you want to get rid of girls wearing short shorts?

awww helllzz nahhhhh
Old 10-21-2009 at 08:55 AM   #27
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I don't think anyone in engineering aims to be the guy who goes to McDonalds after dropping out, or a health sci dropping into humanities
Absolutely uncalled for. I guarantee that there are people in health sci, science, engineering, etc who would struggle in humanities. I understand that this is off-topic, but this is completely uncalled for.

aya017, daisy, Kevin S, ladyh, Maegs, TTHX like this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 09:04 AM   #28
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Absolutely uncalled for. I guarantee that there are people in health sci, science, engineering, etc who would struggle in humanities. I understand that this is off-topic, but this is completely uncalled for.
I am not saying they would not struggle. I am saying no one goes into their faculty aiming to fail miserably and go to a different faculty that is generally considered "easier." I wasn't insulting those faculties, but if you want, replace Social Science, Economics or going to Mohawk with humanities, no difference in the meaning. That wasn't a faculty bashing post, it was an example. Not quite sure how you got that from my post, but it was NOT meant that way.
Old 10-21-2009 at 09:06 AM   #29
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
it's best to ignore the comments by ignorant posters.

inb4 people saying they ignore all of mine

Kevin S likes this.
Old 10-21-2009 at 09:18 AM   #30
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I've actually seen girls lifting in tank tops. Guess the male clerk liked what he saw eh?

I think it's all pointless...everyone who's at the gym goes to better themselves, whether they're a stellar athlete or a quote unquote 'nubcake.'

The way I see it: Who cares if I'll never be as jacked as the guy next to me? There's a lot of stuff going for me that that guy won't ever get to experience, as is the case with everyone.

So I dunno, it seems silly to me that there's even a study to support the idea. I don't think tank tops are a bad thing when working out (where else would you wear a tank top???) And besides, it's not like I can't tell who's jacked just because they're wearing sleeves.

But of course I know, I'm not going to be running around topless because it'll gross people out. (With the 'power' to wear whatever you want comes great responsibility. lol) Rules like this really are in place just because people don't use their better judgment.

Kevin S, Taunton like this.