MacInsiders Logo

Why is prostitution illegal?

Old 10-31-2010 at 08:59 PM   #61
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
Read up, pretty much anything posted by Commander is TEEMING WITH DISREGARD FOR FUNDAMENTAL CHRISTIAN VALUES!
Has he claimed to be christian?
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:00 PM   #62
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

I think the closest analogy to maintaining prostitution's status as illegal would be prohibition.

The alleged purpose of banning alcohol was to eliminate what seemed to be the direct cause of deteriorating social norms - norms which just happened to be upheld by religious groups such as the WCTU and other temperance movements. But what did this do? Nothing. In fact, it pushed the alcohol market into the underground and empowered organized crime, including Al Capone and his smuggling operations. After the government realized that a good such as alcohol was in high demand and was consumed by nearly everyone, they made it legal again, and, in some cases, proclaimed government control. In a matter of a few years, alcohol went from being the bane of so-called "civilized" society to a commonly-traded, and government-regulated, commodity.

Now think about prostitution. At a fundamental level, it is a service which satisfies a demand - what good does it do in improving the lives of those who become prostitutes - namely, those born into an abysmal environment or fall into an unbearable financial situation - by making it illegal? Would not the government, then, be handing control of this service to the criminal world?

If we want to help the people who are prostitutes, making their trade illegal is the wrong way to start - we have to improve the entire situation. We have to figure out a better way for society to work, or, in other words, we have to solve poverty and the distribution of wealth.

Let's return to the prohibition example: the problem that temperance movements sought, in theory, to solve was what they perceived as the decline of American and Canadian society, both in and between families. However, by observing that "the family" was deteriorating and that American and Canadian families were consuming alcohol did not necessarily mean that alcohol was the direct cause, or even predominant cause, of the social ills perceived by the temperance movements. The problem to be solved went deeper than just the consumption of alcohol - there were wider social forces at work. It should be remembered that correlation causation.

I think with prostitution we have bigger problems to fix than just the act of prostitution - if we really want to improve these people's lives, we need to look at how our entire society works.

Morality is a whole other argument, and it should be noted that just because one group is against prostitution, it does not necessarily follow that all those who oppose - or defend - prostitution hold the same ethical views or arguments - this dichotomous way of approaching morality is pure folly.

lawleypop, Marlowe like this.
Old 10-31-2010
reeves
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:04 PM   #63
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
Has he claimed to be christian?

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:05 PM   #64
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
You, my good sir, abuse that .gif to no end.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:07 PM   #65
snaps

Liked: 32 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Next time you call someone a whore in a foreign language, make sure they don't speak that language first. Ass.

Nemam proti tebe nic. Iba ti chcem povedat ze si slapka v nezrozumitelnom jazyku.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:07 PM   #66
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Take those Christian Values and shove it up your ass. I don't believe that the Earth is 6000 years old.
According to the gospels it is, believe what you want to believe, but let anything you say henceforth be cast out as heresay.

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:08 PM   #67
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
Nemam proti tebe nic. Iba ti chcem povedat ze si slapka v nezrozumitelnom jazyku.
This reminds me just how much I love google translate.
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:08 PM   #68
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Wow so I'm banned and moderators are talking about this stuff , were is the justice
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:08 PM   #69
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
You, my good sir, abuse that .gif to no end.
You sound mad.

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:11 PM   #70
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
According to the gospels it is, believe what you want to believe, but let anything you say henceforth be cast out as heresay.
Lol, the Gospel... Wow, just Wow.

And this isn't a slovak forum. (talking to snaps).
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:12 PM   #71
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmowen View Post
I think the closest analogy to maintaining prostitution's status as illegal would be prohibition.

The alleged purpose of banning alcohol was to eliminate what seemed to be the direct cause of deteriorating social norms - norms which just happened to be upheld by religious groups such as the WCTU and other temperance movements. But what did this do? Nothing. In fact, it pushed the alcohol market into the underground and empowered organized crime, including Al Capone and his smuggling operations. After the government realized that a good such as alcohol was in high demand and was consumed by nearly everyone, they made it legal again, and, in some cases, proclaimed government control. In a matter of a few years, alcohol went from being the bane of so-called "civilized" society to a commonly-traded, and government-regulated, commodity.

Now think about prostitution. At a fundamental level, it is a service which satisfies a demand - what good does it do in improving the lives of those who become prostitutes - namely, those born into an abysmal environment or fall into an unbearable financial situation - by making it illegal? Would not the government, then, be handing control of this service to the criminal world?

If we want to help the people who are prostitutes, making their trade illegal is the wrong way to start - we have to improve the entire situation. We have to figure out a better way for society to work, or, in other words, we have to solve poverty and the distribution of wealth.

Let's return to the prohibition example: the problem that temperance movements sought, in theory, to solve was what they perceived as the decline of American and Canadian society, both in and between families. However, by observing that "the family" was deteriorating and that American and Canadian families were consuming alcohol did not necessarily mean that alcohol was the direct cause, or even predominant cause, of the social ills perceived by the temperance movements. The problem to be solved went deeper than just the consumption of alcohol - there were wider social forces at work. It should be remembered that correlation causation.

I think with prostitution we have bigger problems to fix than just the act of prostitution - if we really want to improve these people's lives, we need to look at how our entire society works.

Morality is a whole other argument, and it should be noted that just because one group is against prostitution, it does not necessarily follow that all those who oppose - or defend - prostitution hold the same ethical views or arguments - this dichotomous way of approaching morality is pure folly.
Well said. You are much more eloquent than me. xD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:12 PM   #72
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
You sound mad.
Not mad, I just think you need to expand your .gif repertoire. using the same one over and over just kills the impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juve View Post
Wow so I'm banned and moderators are talking about this stuff , were is the justice
1) you earned the ban, live with it
2) no mods have posted in this thread. Furthermore, this is a legitimate topic.
3) *where
Old 10-31-2010 at 09:13 PM   #73
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Lol, the Gospel... Wow, just Wow.

And this isn't a slovak forum. (talking to snaps).
I think you're really pretty.

Old 10-31-2010 at 09:15 PM   #74
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Not mad, I just think you need to expand your .gif repertoire. using the same one over and over just kills the impact.

Last edited by Kendoon : 10-31-2010 at 10:21 PM.