Why was Starwars IV produced first?
Hi
I am soooo curious why Lucas produced Star Wars 4 first before series 1,2,and 3
Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:33 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

He thought that it wouldn't be popular enough to warrant a sequel so he went with what he thought was the best one-shot

he ended being wrong and the rest were produced.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:34 AM   #3
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

It wasn't originally called Star Wars IV -- it was released as Star Wars, and when he realized that it WAS successful, he already had the scripts for Episodes I through III so he re-titled the movie.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:36 AM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

More importantly, (and this is also works for watching them) he wanted to have the honor of having the greatest plot twist in movie history.

By filming 1-3 first, the 'plot twist' wouldn't really be a twist, it would be a downfall that was easily guessable due to obvious foreshadowing.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:37 AM   #5
lucas

Liked: 1 Time

oh i c!
the first star wars was produced in 1977,
don't you guys find the graphics unbelievable?

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:39 AM   #6
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
oh i c!
Not graphics. Props. Epic props.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:39 AM   #7
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
oh i c!
i dunno lucas.. what do u think?
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:40 AM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Please tell me someone here actually knows that Episodes I-III weren't actually thought up until the mid-late 80's. The story was originally about Luke, but Vader was so popular he went back and did a trilogy about him, thereby altering the storyline for IV-VI to be about Vader as well. Theres all sorts of interviews out there from the 70's and 80's, and no backstory was devised until years later.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:42 AM   #9
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Not graphics. Props. Epic props.
They had lasers and lightsabers and deathrays. Those were good graphics for the time.

However lightsabers always pissed me off. Assuming it was possible to make a blade out of plasma they would definitely cut through things but they would not stop when they hit another lightsaber. It's like crossing the beams of two flashlights..
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:43 AM   #10
lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Please tell me someone here actually knows that Episodes I-III weren't actually thought up until the mid-late 80's. The story was originally about Luke, but Vader was so popular he went back and did a trilogy about him, thereby altering the storyline for IV-VI to be about Vader as well. Theres all sorts of interviews out there from the 70's and 80's, and no backstory was devised until years later.

wow this is interesting
never heard about this
if this is true, then the whole plot will come to u as a different story
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:43 AM   #11
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
lightsabers always pissed me off.
I have never heard anyone say this before. The only reason I've gone on living this long is so I can hopefully see a real lightsaber invented before I die.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:44 AM   #12
REPLEKIA/.

funny movie illustrating my point:

Old 11-01-2010 at 12:45 AM   #13
lucas

Quote:
They had lasers and lightsabers and deathrays. Those were good graphics for the time.

However lightsabers always pissed me off. Assuming it was possible to make a blade out of plasma they would definitely cut through things but they would not stop when they hit another lightsaber. It's like crossing the beams of two flashlights..

so true lol
you know whatelse doesnt make sense?
when they're fighting in the space (on their spaceship), they always face gravity....
also no matter which planet they go to, there is oxygen!
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:46 AM   #14
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:

When I said 'not graphics', I meant 'not CGI'. Normally people take graphics to mean CGI, and they only used CGI in the first movie for the trench run briefing. Otherwise, everything in the first 3 movies (including lightsabers) were manual, using props and film overlays and stuff.
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:47 AM   #15
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
so true lol
you know whatelse doesnt make sense?
when they're fighting in the space (on their spaceship), they always face gravity....
also no matter which planet they go to, there is oxygen!
If they have warp I imagine that artificial gravity has been achieved. And since they have warp they can go ridiculous distances near instantly, so with the number of planets there are it's reasonable that they only visit ones with oxygen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
When I said 'not graphics', I meant 'not CGI'. Normally people take graphics to mean CGI, and they only used CGI in the first movie for the trench run briefing. Otherwise, everything in the first 3 movies (including lightsabers) were manual, using props and film overlays and stuff.
I'll count film overlays as graphics.