MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Mac Computer Science from College Computer Technology steve2345 Academics 3 10-17-2010 07:20 PM
mini mac homeskillet General Discussion 4 10-12-2009 10:14 PM

Win A Mini 'Raspberry Pi' Computer!

It’s not a PC or a Mac but the Raspberry Pi from Newark. “It's a computer so simple, anyone can tinker with it.”

Raspberry Pi is a computer the size of a credit card and powerful as the old Xbox, that was designed as an introduction to science, technology, engineering, and math for UK grade schoolers, and its low price tag has made it appealing to hobbyists all over the world.

Pi has so many uses from the practical like your own media streaming centre, your own web server and home automation to the creative like a Bitcoin mining rig, your own cellphone, an attempt at Google Glass to Skynet ( no but you can control robots).

Proving that anyone can use it , here are some cool things kids did this year:

This is brought to you by HackItMac, a group trying to encourage everyone to get out and turn their great ideas into real apps, website and hardware applications. With summer coming up some of you may have some free time to build something and we would love to help.

HOW TO ENTER

Comment below! If you could have any electronic project built, no matter how crazy, what would you want built?

(Note: This to open to everyone, programmers and non-programmers alike)

Join us on Facebook or sign up for the mailing list here

Cannot wait to get your hands on one? You can buy a Raspberry Pi Model A or B from alot of places online but Element 14 is an official corporate member of the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

anon491 likes this.
Published by
Offical Deal Blogger

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-29-2014 at 04:24 PM   #2
Suspect
Program: Ph.D Faith Healing
Year: First
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 61 Times
I would build (if i knew how anyway...which i don't) a bionic arm, no...many bionic arms. That either respond to electrical signals or brainwaves or neurotransmitters...t he point is i would have mechanical arms that move like humans arms do. Then i would make them thought controlled from a distance. Then i would put them around the house so that i could just think, and have these arms do everything for me while i sat down

I would especially like one that is hidden in the toilet bowl and pops out when i *, so that when i'm done, it wipes my ass for me But again, i don't know how to do any of this.

Last edited by Suspect : 04-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.

MacPack likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-29-2014 at 08:59 PM   #3
anon491
Professional Fangirl
Faculty: Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 453 Times
ahh I've been trying to get my hands on one for a while D:

I would build an alternative alarm clock. You know those ones that run away from you? something like that, but with a really, really annoying feature like making you enter the capital to some random country before it turns off. Would be neat if it could be programmed to speak to you (ie. argue with you) as well. Like Jarvis, essentially. And it should be durable so that when you get angry in the morning and you try to destroy it, it you can't.

ashleighp, MacPack like this.
Old 04-29-2014 at 09:03 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
I would build (if i knew how anyway...which i don't) a bionic arm, no...many bionic arms. That either respond to electrical signals or brainwaves or neurotransmitters...t he point is i would have mechanical arms that move like humans arms do. Than i would make them thought controlled from a distance. Then i would put them around the house so that i could just think, and have these arms do everything for me while i sat down

I would especially like one that is hidden in the toilet bowl and pops out when, so that when i'm done, it wipes my ass for me But again, i don't know how to do any of this.
reminds me of a certain metal armed soldier !
but LOL I thought you were going to say to help people who have amputated limbs or something.
laziness ftw I guess

Old 04-29-2014 at 10:04 PM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
I would especially like one that is hidden in the toilet bowl and pops out when, so that when i'm done, it wipes my ass for me But again, i don't know how to do any of this.
lol, I think you may have invented a less efficient version of the bidet .
Old 04-29-2014 at 10:44 PM   #6
Suspect
Program: Ph.D Faith Healing
Year: First

Liked: 61 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
but LOL I thought you were going to say to help people who have amputated limbs or something.
laziness ftw I guess
Well that's a byproduct i took into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
lol, I think you may have invented a less efficient version of the bidet .
There's a worldwide water crisis. I think you meant an environmentally friendly version of bidet

ashleighp likes this.
Old 04-30-2014 at 12:56 PM   #7
Zachary
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Residence: Socks

Liked: 77 Times
HAL in its infancy.

That said, the only thing better than a Raspberry Pi are two Raspberry Pis.

MacPack likes this.
Old 04-30-2014 at 09:57 PM   #8
Faer
Elite Member
Faculty: Humanities
Year: PhD

Liked: 338 Times
It seems like a super cool thing to tinker around with :O I'd build something that would control the internal temperature of my room so that I could avoid being too hot or too cold. (Yes, I know those things exist, but I don't have one).

MacPack likes this.
Old 05-01-2014 at 08:24 AM   #9
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS FoSo!

Liked: 160 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
laziness ftw I guess
Laziness ? Sure but think of the applications this could have. Imagine hospitals, old age home and other places where people have to take care of others. Something like this could cut down on the work they have to do.

Any can comment, just curious what kind of things people can envision, no matter what program you are in. Everyone has ideas!!!
Old 05-02-2014 at 01:16 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Laziness ? Sure but think of the applications this could have. Imagine hospitals, old age home and other places where people have to take care of others. Something like this could cut down on the work they have to do.

Any can comment, just curious what kind of things people can envision, no matter what program you are in. Everyone has ideas!!!
that's very true! but in the context of suspect's whole post it sounded like laziness
Old 05-04-2014 at 01:16 PM   #11
broccoli
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Maybe use it regulate temperature around the house with an array of temperature sensors

MacPack likes this.
Old 05-04-2014 at 03:41 PM   #12
Roastmeat

I would hook it up to my cars ECU and automate everything, like a Google car.

MacPack likes this.
Old 05-04-2014 at 04:57 PM   #13
vikap1
Program: Engineering Physics

I would hook it up to a waterballoon catapult, have it sense and lock onto my enemies. It will also play victory music because I will be victorious.

MacPack likes this.
Old 05-05-2014 at 08:11 AM   #14
Farhan
Program: Biology
Year: Second

Robotics
I would couple this with an Arduino board and make a robot of sorts. Really interesting idea these boards and modular computing elements.

MacPack likes this.
Old 05-05-2014 at 02:00 PM   #15
Saber
Year: Fourth

I'd make something similar to the Google Glass lookalike project you linked. As cool as the GGs are (and as long as I've been waiting for wearable computing) they're a little pricey and it'd be economical and educational to try to make my own. You can't deny it'd be fun, and who doesn't want to walk around campus with a computer on their face?

MacPack likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search