MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Wind Energy Project coming to Hamilton Chad MacInsiders Announcements 3 01-31-2012 05:43 PM
Best/Cheapest Internet Service Providers in Hamilton? InsideMINDS Computers & Tech 27 09-07-2011 08:32 AM
How was the Mountain formed? Allan General Discussion 1 01-27-2009 06:07 PM
Wind Warning to Hamilton Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-01-2006 12:25 PM

wind service on hamilton mountain?

Old 02-27-2012 at 09:27 AM   #1
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

wind service on hamilton mountain?
is there anyone who has wind mobile's internet stick and lives on hamilton mountain? I'm thinking about switching to wind's unlimited internet deal and although I do live in the coverage zone (east hamilton mountain, before the linc) I just wanted to make sure that the signal up here is okay.

if anyone just has the internet stick in general, any problems?
does it come with the hub or is that a seperate purchase?

inb4 someone recommends techsavvy; I don't want to get dsl or cable. therefore the mobile stick is really my best option.
Old 02-27-2012 at 10:14 AM   #2
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

I dont have the mobile stick but I have wind mobile phone service and their coverage on the mountain is really good, data speed is surprisingly good on my phone so I would assume the same for the stick. I dont think it has a hub, just the stick you put in your computer

anon491 says thanks to sarahsweet for this post.
Old 02-27-2012 at 10:56 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

If you're planning to use this to replace your home internet, it's probably worth noting that speeds will max out around 5MBS (for comparison, most student houses in westdale are likely using 10MBs connections or better) and that you'll only get full speed for the first 10GB under their unlimited plan (After 10GB you get throttled).

anon491 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 02-27-2012 at 12:42 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

You can check their coverage out here on this website:
http://www.coveragemapper.co m/windmap.php

anon491 says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 02-27-2012 at 01:02 PM   #5
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
If you're planning to use this to replace your home internet, it's probably worth noting that speeds will max out around 5MBS (for comparison, most student houses in westdale are likely using 10MBs connections or better) and that you'll only get full speed for the first 10GB under their unlimited plan (After 10GB you get throttled).
in all honesty, the speeds that I currently get with rogers are atrociously well below 5mb (although they promised 7.2mbps at the least I believe), so even 5mb would be amazing.
do you know by any chance how much your speeds do get reduced after passing the 10gb tentative cap? is it like... a cap on your speed all the time or just when you torrent big files from then on?
Old 02-27-2012 at 01:53 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Their policy is that the cap in place is a soft cap and may or may not occur depending on several different variables (i.e. amount of usage in the area, congestion in the network, etc.) So after you pass the 10 GB cap for whatever reasons (i.e. torrenting + streaming videos or whatever.) you may or may not be capped. You can still use the internet without incurring additional charges (I think) but your speeds will be capped afterward. Double check the above point though. You can join HowardForums and post under the WIND forum to get additional help if you'd like:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...51-WIND-Mobile