MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM
Women Studies 2B03 AnnaWM Academics 0 06-14-2010 11:10 AM

women studies

Old 06-10-2009 at 06:57 PM   #1
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

women studies
does anyone have any comments about this course (women studies 1a03)...I might take it next year
Old 06-11-2009 at 03:58 PM   #2
EmilySusie

Liked: 18 Times

I do not know much about Women's Studies 1A03 but I did take Women's Studies 1AA3. I know that they are similar courses. In my experience I struggled a little at first with some of the concepts but I know that they are easier in 1A03 as it is more of an intro course.

Some people I talked to had complaints with the prof who taught 1A03 last year. I don't know if it will be the same prof. But otherwise they said it was a good class.

I would recommend taking a Women's Studies course though, it's a good elective. It was interesting and not only about feminist issues, but also concepts that could be applied to other disciplines. Hope this helps
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:04 PM   #3
Strongwiller

Liked: 0 Times

two questions

1) Is majority of the class guys or girls?

2) Is the course eazy?
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:41 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I disliked women's studies. I felt like I couldn't voice my opinion because I didn't conform with everyone in the class. It's not a hard course but I wouldn't call it easy. And it's about 99% female. There were maybe 4 guys in my class from what I saw.
Old 06-11-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:34 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I have not taken any first year or second year women studies courses but I would love to take a third year women studies course (WOMEN ST 3DD3 WOMEN IN A MULTICULTURAL SOCIETY). The prerequisite for the course is only registration in Level II or above but I am not sure if I should take this course. Since I have no experience in women studies, will I find a third year course difficult? In a women studies course, are students required to write a lot of essays?

Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:44 PM   #6
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

If you are a male, I would advise against taking these types of courses. My dad said he took a Women's Studies course when he was in university because he thought it would be a good way to meet girls. It turns out it was only him and one other guy in the class with a whole bunch of angry feminist women who hated them.
Old 06-11-2009 at 11:15 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
I disliked women's studies. I felt like I couldn't voice my opinion because I didn't conform with everyone in the class. It's not a hard course but I wouldn't call it easy. And it's about 99% female. There were maybe 4 guys in my class from what I saw.
You disliked the course because you only voice your opinion if people agree with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you are a male, I would advise against taking these types of courses. My dad said he took a Women's Studies course when he was in university because he thought it would be a good way to meet girls. It turns out it was only him and one other guy in the class with a whole bunch of angry feminist women who hated them.
Was your dad a jerk about it or something? I haven't taken women's studies but I've talked to the women's studies group at school. They're not man haters at all.

I can see why someone would be offended by your father taking Women's studies to meet girls. I think that's mocking, that's my opinion.

Last edited by sinthusized : 06-11-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 at 11:25 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Was your dad a jerk about it or something?
Hmm... now that I think about his grounds for taking the class, that's a distinct possibility :p
Old 06-12-2009 at 11:15 AM   #9
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Not that it is right, but a lot of people take courses with an intention (sole or otherwise) to find someone to be with, whether short- or long-term. I recommend separating academic goals from that sort of thing, but perhaps the mix works for some.

It would be interesting to find out how many have hooked up through classses, and if it is more prevalent than other means of hooking up. Have these relationships been successful?
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:10 PM   #10
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I took Women's Studies 1A03 and I didn't like it. It wasn't particularly hard or easy (my TA was pretty tough for first year though).

I wouldn't reccomend it. If you're into Women's Studies, then go ahead. But I'm not into that kind of stuff, and there was definately a good amount of what people may call "feminists" topics, which was hard for me to sit through. There was probably about 2 or 3 guys in the class of 200. There was a lot of reading and it was all very dry. Most of the coursework was incredibly boring to me.

I agree with another poster that said it was hard to voice my opinion. A lot of people in the class were hard-core feminists, and if you spoke any differntly, you got ripped apart.

I might have been able to handle that kind of thing in third or fourth year, but it was a pretty crappy "Welcome to McMaster!" first year, first term class. People were just too into it and nothing was fun. We even watched a great episode of Sex and the City, but a lot of the class made that unenjoyable.
Old 06-12-2009 at 01:17 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Women's Studies courses tend to give off the "If you don't have my opinion you're wrong and misogynist" vibe.

None of the friends I have who took the first year courses enjoyed it.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 06-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2009 at 02:35 PM   #12
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
We even watched a great episode of Sex and the City, but a lot of the class made that unenjoyable.
Sex and The City, unenjoyable?? Blasphemy!!
Old 06-12-2009 at 02:59 PM   #13
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Sex and The City, unenjoyable?? Blasphemy!!
I actually like Sex and the City.
We were supposed to watch part of the episode and then discuss it. But so many people were booing and shouting things out the whole time.. it was ridiculous. The prof allowed it and I couldn't hear a damn thing.
Old 06-12-2009 at 03:59 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Even though I'm not a big fan of Sex and the City, the fact that the prof allowed that kind of commentary is deplorable!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement