MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM
Women Studies 2B03 AnnaWM Academics 0 06-14-2010 11:10 AM

women studies

Old 06-12-2009 at 04:24 PM   #16
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I actually like Sex and the City.
We were supposed to watch part of the episode and then discuss it. But so many people were booing and shouting things out the whole time.. it was ridiculous. The prof allowed it and I couldn't hear a damn thing.
I like Sex and The City too. I wish people would stop taking TV shows so seriously.
Old 06-12-2009 at 08:46 PM   #17
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
You disliked the course because you only voice your opinion if people agree with you?
I clearly didn't say that at all. It's just that every time I voiced my opinion my TA would say something like "well, that's wrong. Men oppress us." I didn't agree with her. People in the class had very abrupt responses they wouldn't go in depth. It's kind of like saying "Oh I'm against this" and then not saying why. I found that many people in the class had a very linear way of thinking that I couldn't grasp. Students would constantly talk about how women needed to empower themselves. However, I don't think you can move forward if you're always so focused on how oppressed you are. I just really disliked the way that the course made women look. I didn't agree with most of the things that were taught. However, unlike philosophy, people weren't as open to refutations. That's how I felt in that course. I know a few individuals who really enjoyed women studies
Old 06-12-2009 at 10:27 PM   #18
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

I agree with a lot of the opinions of women's studies that have been stated (the respective and logical ones). When I was in women's studies I felt really frustrated because no one was open to reconsidering their beliefs. I eventually became so annoyed that I just resorted to being a shit disturber in tutorial spewing ultra conservative arguments just to piss off my tutorial (most fun EVER).

I feel like women's studies is a valuable field but Mac's first year class is not well laid out or presented. Radical feminist dogma is shoved down your throat from the get go without a logical back up (other than women have been oppressed forever). I have enormous respect for feminism and the field of women's studies but the first year class that I took was horrendous (1AA3).

I would recommend to anyone who was interested in the field to take an upper year women's studies class that is about a topic of interest. The first year class is just too general and biased.
Old 07-03-2009 at 07:49 PM   #19
FK27

Liked: 0 Times

im considering women,culture power 1A03 as an elective and was wondering if anyone could give me a little more detail about the course like what the topics of study are?