MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Women's Studies 1A03 AelyaS Academics 0 08-11-2010 01:01 PM
History 3W03/Women's Studies 3G03 ardenelva 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 06-07-2010 10:42 AM
International Women's Day lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-08-2010 07:24 AM
Women's and Indigenous Studies Speaker Series: Margot Francis lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-22-2010 01:03 PM

Women's Studies.

Old 08-21-2008 at 02:06 PM   #1
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

Women's Studies.
I refuse to believe that no one on MacInsiders is an upper year student who has taken at least one of the Women's Studies courses.

I'm beginning to have doubts about the decision I've made about this. I took two: 1AA3 and 1A03.

I suppose some input on experience or hearing about an experience of someone who has taken these would help.
Old 08-21-2008 at 08:34 PM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hey, I have an upper year friend who took this course... she always complained about the course for being too 'dry" but i dunno, she went in expecting a bra-burning femi-nazi as a professor so maybe that is why she was disappointed.
Old 08-22-2008 at 02:22 PM   #3
amplified

Liked: 0 Times

There's no bra-burning?

Wellll, count me out.
I've overcome my lust for it now.

No. I'm completely joking. Really though? I hope it's not too dry. I'm really looking forward to it. I suppose, afterall, it depends on the prof. Hmm.
Old 08-23-2008 at 02:30 PM   #4
MLSA29

Liked: 1 Time

Hey! I took 1A03 first year and it was not my favorite class. It felt like a lot of preaching and took subjects way too seriously. I didn't agree with the final assignment as we were to join an activist group. The one good part of the course was we got to read Bridget Jone's Diary (not sure if that is still the case). The course is a discussion class where topics are debated and discussed and to me appears there is no right or wrong answer although it appears so as you are marked on a personal journal.

If you are interested in gender, try sociology of gender 2Q03 (I think) ... it's a second year course, interesting and pretty fair. It teaches you about feminism as well as focuses on men and masculinity.

This is just my opinion, you might enjoy these courses. Give it a try it can't hurt.
Old 08-23-2008 at 06:03 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

In order to take any upper-year Sociology you need to have completed Sociology 1A06...just so you all know! I didn't take 1A06, so I didn't get to take some courses I would have liked to in upper years as electives.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2008 at 02:39 PM   #6
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
There's no bra-burning?

Wellll, count me out.
I've overcome my lust for it now.

No. I'm completely joking. Really though? I hope it's not too dry. I'm really looking forward to it. I suppose, afterall, it depends on the prof. Hmm.

haha yeah she said that the prof was so boring and that it would be an improvement if the course was taught by a male chauvinist...
Old 08-24-2008 at 03:02 PM   #7
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

hey for this course it says on the course listing that we need Bridget Jones's diary..that is just the normal novel right that you can buy at Chapters if you wanted it is not something else is it? And does it matter if the ISBN number is different than that listed at Titles?

Last edited by anitaa : 08-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2008 at 09:47 AM   #8
**jewel 03**

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitaa View Post
hey for this course it says on the course listing that we need Bridget Jones's diary..that is just the normal novel right that you can buy at Chapters if you wanted it is not something else is it? And does it matter if the ISBN number is different than that listed at Titles?
hey can someone please answer my question above about the novel, because I am going shopping soon so I would like to pick up the book at Chapters if I can. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008 at 09:56 AM   #9
Reno V

Liked: 38 Times

Lol, I never took it because I was afraid it would be filled with guys like me, who were hoping it would be filled with girls.