MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
What do you Wear to the Shower? Allan Residence & Housing 7 07-09-2008 08:38 AM
Revolution Wear: Creating Change and Re-using Everything michbitran Misc 0 02-03-2008 01:33 PM
Scare-wear Halloween Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-18-2007 09:27 AM

World Diabetes Day: Wear Blue!

This up-coming Monday, (Monday, November 14th) is World Diabetes Day, a day for the celebration and recognition of those who live with diabetes and for the research that is being conducted in the field of diabetes.
This Monday also marks the 90th anniversary of the discovery of insulin, the medication that keeps type one Diabetics alive today!
The McMaster Diabetes Association is planning to some activities for awareness around McMaster so look out for them!
Wear blue on the day to show you care! There may be some photo-ops around the student centre!

Presented by the McMaster Diabetes Association:

Join us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2816479 68542645
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-08-2011 at 12:25 AM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Let's raise awareness for a disease with latex that will be littered all around the city!!!!

crazyfree says thanks to micadjems for this post.

Amaryll, RyanC like this.

Old 11-08-2011 at 09:01 AM   #3
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Let's raise awareness for a disease with latex that will be littered all around the city!!!!
This was a concern we raised with the CDA, and they assured as that the balloons are biodegradable

Old 11-08-2011 at 11:46 AM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

I do like the sentiment, and it's a very nice display but.... biodegradable over how many years?? Will it get into cootes, where animals will eat them before they biodegrade? :/

Did some research. Looks sketchy:

- Please always limit your balloon release to 10 or fewer balloons.
-
Yes, 100%. Latex is a natural product of rubber tree sap, it breaks down when exposed to the elements of nature. Research was carried out in July 1989 with a variety of balloons under various conditions to accurately gauge the time needed for the latex to degrade. Results from this study indicate that the decomposition time for balloons is about the same rate as an oak leaf (6 months).
- Latex balloons will decompose as quickly as an oak leaf in identical conditions. Exposure to elevated temperatures, sunlight, and micro organisms will help decompose latex balloons so a latex balloon left outside in your compost will break down fairly quickly
-Latex balloons should still be handled with care since they can be a choking hazard to children and animals alike.
(http://www.balloonrelease.co m/faqs.htm, http://www.latexballoons.ca/latexballoons2.htm)

So they decompose in 6 months if we're lucky and they get into a forest/Cootes, and no animals choke and die on them.

Last edited by micadjems : 11-08-2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Extra info

crazyfree, PinkiePie all say thanks to micadjems for this post.

Old 11-08-2011 at 01:41 PM   #5
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
I do like the sentiment, and it's a very nice display but.... biodegradable over how many years?? Will it get into cootes, where animals will eat them before they biodegrade? :/

Did some research. Looks sketchy:

- Please always limit your balloon release to 10 or fewer balloons.
-
Yes, 100%. Latex is a natural product of rubber tree sap, it breaks down when exposed to the elements of nature. Research was carried out in July 1989 with a variety of balloons under various conditions to accurately gauge the time needed for the latex to degrade. Results from this study indicate that the decomposition time for balloons is about the same rate as an oak leaf (6 months).
- Latex balloons will decompose as quickly as an oak leaf in identical conditions. Exposure to elevated temperatures, sunlight, and micro organisms will help decompose latex balloons so a latex balloon left outside in your compost will break down fairly quickly
-Latex balloons should still be handled with care since they can be a choking hazard to children and animals alike.
(http://www.balloonrelease.co m/faqs.htm, http://www.latexballoons.ca/latexballoons2.htm)

So they decompose in 6 months if we're lucky and they get into a forest/Cootes, and no animals choke and die on them.
Well you'll be happy to know the event has been cancelled due to concerns

But if everyone could still wear blue that day to show your support that would be great!

micadjems says thanks to crazyfree for this post.

Old 11-08-2011 at 02:48 PM   #6
vtang

Liked: 5 Times
hmm this sounds like a good time to wear my blue sweater which i rarely get to wear...

crazyfree likes this.

Old 11-08-2011 at 03:15 PM   #7
micadjems
Awesome Member

I hope the day is still a great success for the Diabetes Association

I didn't mean to shoot down anyone's feelings or anything, I just wanted to bring awareness to the issues I am concerned about. Hope we're all cool ^^

Old 11-08-2011 at 05:54 PM   #8
crazyfree
Elite Member

Quote:
I hope the day is still a great success for the Diabetes Association

I didn't mean to shoot down anyone's feelings or anything, I just wanted to bring awareness to the issues I am concerned about. Hope we're all cool ^^
No, no, it's totally fine, thank you for speaking up

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search