AelyaS, Faer, J. Dorey like this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 12:06 PM   #17
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
im super excited now! Mac seems like the best option for me no doubt
In my clearly unbiased opinion (cough totally biased cough), Mac is awesome and the best choice I could've made.
Old 05-30-2011 at 12:15 PM   #18
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

I second that. The campus totally feels like home.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 12:27 PM   #19
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

I dont go to u of t, but all I hear is that it is super competitive and I think mac is pretty relaxed.
Also when I look at the upper year specialities at u of t I really feel like I missed out. Mac has less programs. http://www.utoronto.ca/programs/unde...e-programs.htm
Old 05-30-2011 at 12:39 PM   #20
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
I put in a lot of effort to get good marks because of hiring for co-op, 4 th year is not so much important as to full time positions as experience is more favored. Grad school is a different story, higher marks the better. In the end, try your best and work hard!
In one of my classes, I worked super hard, did all the readings, attended all lectures and tutorials, did all my assignments and even went for extra help. I ended up with a 5, my absolute lowest grade ever. It really sucked that I put in so much effort and still did badly. That being said, I learned a lot in that class (material wise) and I would recommend it. I feel like I was graded unfairly.

Last edited by lizziepizzie : 05-30-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 at 12:44 PM   #21
lolliPop

Liked: 6 Times

I really like what I'm hearing!! I doubt this many people would recommend UofT.
Old 05-30-2011 at 01:16 PM   #22
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolliPop View Post
I really like what I'm hearing!! I doubt this many people would recommend UofT.
When I was applying for university, U of T was one of my top options. My brother, who lives in Toronto, and his friend, who went to U of T talked to me and told me that the campus is so large that you barely even get to meet everyone. While the academics are good obviously, the social aspect is so limited that it swayed my opinion and I didn't even apply. Obviously I ended up accepting Mac and I do not have any regrets about that decision.

lizziepizzie says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.

lizziepizzie likes this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 01:49 PM   #23
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

If you have students from the Arts vouching for McMaster, a school generally praised and known for its sciences, that should give you an idea of how awesome the school is.

UofT has historical prestige (it's only 50 years older than Mac, btw), but it will never feel like home.

Old 05-30-2011 at 02:01 PM   #24
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Yeah, you'll just feel like an ant in a sea of people. I've been told that's it's a great experience for your graduate degree, though.

lolliPop likes this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 02:21 PM   #25
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I could never express how happy I am that I came here.
I made the same decision, mainly because I heard that Toronto was super competitive and as a result the students were generally miserable. I didn't want that to be the next four years of my life, so I came here.
Along the lines of feeling like an ant..my sister went to McGill, a big university like Toronto for her undergrad. When I talk to her about McMaster and the campus life here and even the way classes are, she's told me she regrets choosing a university for it's prestige and wishes she had gone somewhere like Mac.
It really is an amazing atmosphere, and in general you'll be a lot happier here I think

lolliPop says thanks to crazyfree for this post.

lolliPop, lt93 like this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 02:51 PM   #26
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Best advice I was given (I think) was that ultimately, you will come out of university with a degree. Sure, it'll matter to some extent where you got it, but essentially it's all the same degree. Pick where you're going to get it based on what you like better, since you're spending the next 4+ years of your life there.

The rooms will all probably suck equally, you'll meet awesome people wherever you go, but it really is all about the atmosphere. You're supposed to establish your independence at university, and it's a lot easier to be yourself and come out of your shell when you're somewhere you feel comfortable.

lolliPop says thanks to Zimonada for this post.

lolliPop likes this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 03:11 PM   #27
lt93

Liked: 69 Times

I was in the exact same position as you I had a hard time choosing being Mac and UofT but in the end I am soo glad I chose Mac and if I could do it over again I would choose Mac again and again. The people I've met have been great and the professors are so friendly and easy to approach! I'm really happy with my decisions and I hope whatever choice you make will be the right one for you!

lolliPop says thanks to lt93 for this post.

lolliPop likes this.
Old 05-30-2011 at 04:02 PM   #28
Icecream
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

If you live in Toronto, go to to UofT.

If you live in Hamilton go to Mcmaster.

It doesn't really matter where you go for an undergraduate degree in Life Sciences.

lolliPop says thanks to Icecream for this post.
Old 05-30-2011 at 04:21 PM   #29
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecream View Post
If you want to feel alienated and get stress acne and be driven to the verge of suicide every marking period, go to to UofT.

If you don't, come to Mcmaster.

It doesn't really matter where you go for an undergraduate degree in Life Sciences in the grander scheme of things, but if you love yourself, you will choose wisely.

Fixed that for you

lolliPop says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Old 05-30-2011 at 05:18 PM   #30
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

The atmosphere at mac is supercalifragilistice xpialidocious
Course quality is hit or miss, but thats the same no matter where you go.

lolliPop says thanks to RyanC for this post.

J. Dorey, lolliPop like this.