MacInsiders Logo

How would you handle...

Old 02-07-2010 at 07:17 PM   #1
funkdmonkey

Liked: 27 Times

How would you handle...
An addition 6-10 units (2-3 courses) per school year? And not just first year or bird courses, but ones that are comparable and consistent with whatever you are currently taking.

I always assumed Health Sci and Engineering had the extra workload but I was surprised to find out that only the Engineers had to take the additional units.

How would you cope with the extra course(s)? Would it be a gamebreaker or would it just need a bit more sacrifice on your part?
Old 02-07-2010 at 07:51 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

This term, I have to take 6 courses (to make up for a dropped course in term one), while working over 10 hours a week and it's tough. It's definately doable, but tough.
Anymore than 6 and I wouldn't be able to handle it. Maybe without working, but it'd still be tricky.

My boyfriend is in Engineering and usually has 6 courses per term (sometimes 5). He doesn't seem to have a problem, but maybe it's because he's used to it and doesn't have a job. I have a friend who does school part-time (3 courses per term) and he says he doesn't understand how people can do any more than that. So I think it depends on what you're used to.

I heard that Commerce students only have 4 per term. Is that true? If so, I'm jealous!!
Old 02-07-2010 at 07:53 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I heard that Commerce students only have 4 per term. Is that true? If so, I'm jealous!!
That's definitely false. Some people choose to take 4, but you definitely need 5 per semester to graduate on time (without summer schooling).

I'm taking 6 per right now while working and I still got plenty of time to play an unhealthy amount of video games.

ytpos likes this.
Old 02-07-2010 at 07:55 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

A friend of mine ended up getting special permission to take a large amount of extra courses, (he was doing 8 per semester) to help him graduate early. I think that's more than you can take with just regular overloading. And it was eng.

He pretty much spends all his time on school work now (unsurprisingly). As long as you're willing to sacrifice its possible.
Old 02-07-2010 at 08:01 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I think I'd handle it fine.

I have this insane ability to be able to actually crack down and get work done, if I have to. If I know something's gonna be stressful, I can plan for it in advance.

Unlike now, where I know I can do shit all EVERY day and still get Honours. Hence why I do shit all every day.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-07-2010
Rossclot
This message has been removed by a moderator. .