MacInsiders Logo

Would you rather........

Old 01-15-2011 at 03:24 PM   #16
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
All else being equal, present money > future money.

122222234233333333333 3333334234234234234
Old 01-15-2011 at 03:27 PM   #17
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
What is this based on? Economcy thingies? I was just assuming the future money was garunteed.. its not like I would know what to do with a million dollars at the present anyways, and I'm financially secure at the moment, so B seems more useful to me?

Time Value of Money.

If you don't know what to do with it, invest it.

If anything, if you don't need it now, that's even more reason to take it now and invest it now and probably come out with more than 2mil at the end of 8 years.

Not having something is generally not more useful than having it, unless you're comparing having AIDS when you're 20 and having AIDS when you're 105.

And I don't know you mean by guaranteed. They're both guaranteed in the question. Have it now, or have it later. Nothing about that says you may or may not have it now or later.

And it seems as though you're assuming you won't be financially secure in 8 years, or that you would finally know what to do with not only a million dollars, but 2 million now. What's the difference? If you think you'll need it in 8 years, then take the mil now and again, probably come out with more than 2mil.

Edit: Honestly, not that I'm an expert because these have always been my lowest marks, but this is the jist of it. Take it nao.

And yes, I'm assuming you can make on average, over 100,000 in returns/year. But I don't think that's unreasonable.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 01-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Entropy likes this.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:26 PM   #18
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

a), i wouldn't trust b)
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:41 PM   #19
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

b, duh? assuming inflation is incorporated
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:43 PM   #20
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
a), i wouldn't trust b)
The money is guaranteed, your point is irrelevant.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:47 PM   #21
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Option A: 1) Receive a million dollars in a weeks time

Option B: 2) Receive two million dollars after 8 years.

Which and why?
I would take option A) then I would buy a new 500 grands house (real estate) in GTA, which in return will make me 2 millions in 8 years!! SWEET
Edit: Changed milli to grants

Last edited by mcmastergcdb : 01-15-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:54 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I would take option A) then I would buy a new 500 milli dolloar house (real estate) in GTA, which in return will make me 2 millions in 8 years!! SWEET
Where the hell did 500 million dollars come from?

And yeah, I know what you mean by the interest thing, Cheri, its just I don't know how much you could make in interest in 8 years...

@whoever raised the point about the 2 mill having being adjusted with interest...um, you only get 2 mill, not 2 mill adjusted, otherwise B would make more sense.

The entire thing is a common psychology question having to do with people being impulsive. I was in a psych lab and they offered this exact same choice, only with 10 and 20$ (delayed).
Old 01-15-2011 at 04:58 PM   #23
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Where the hell did 500 million dollars come from?

And yeah, I know what you mean by the interest thing, Cheri, its just I don't know how much you could make in interest in 8 years...

@whoever raised the point about the 2 mill having being adjusted with interest...um, you only get 2 mill, not 2 mill adjusted, otherwise B would make more sense.

The entire thing is a common psychology question having to do with people being impulsive. I was in a psych lab and they offered this exact same choice, only with 10 and 20$ (delayed).
lol i meant to say grants! also the if you invest in bank, the interest is barely 1% per year. so it would take u 100yrs to double the money. Unless you good wid the share market!
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:02 PM   #24
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
I would take option A) then I would buy a new 500 grands house (real estate) in GTA, which in return will make me 2 millions in 8 years!! SWEET
Edit: Chanhed milli to grands
Investing in the housing market would be a be mistake. ROI, is unpredictable and the OC of investing in the housing market over say placing the money in an interest bearing account/purchasing government bonds would suggest you do the the latter.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:05 PM   #25
sf

Liked: 36 Times

option a

You could use the money to buy property and houses and sell them off in 8 years for much more than what you paid. You might as well buy into the US housing market now while things are dirt cheap and reap the rewards when the economy gets better.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:09 PM   #26
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Investing in the housing market would be a be mistake. ROI, is unpredictable and the OC of investing in the housing market over say placing the money in an interest bearing account/purchasing government bonds would suggest you do the the latter.
Real estate is the only thing that you would never lose in! Due to recession, th property price had come down a bit, but it really hit the US more than Canada. It might be a bit unpredictable, due to the immigrants and increase in population, the net property cost has increased over the years buddy!
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:12 PM   #27
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Is it possible to make $1 million through bank interest in 8 years by investing $1 million? (I don't know much about this kind of stuff)
If so, I'd choose option A.

If not, I'd choose option B.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:14 PM   #28
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Is it possible to make $1 million through bank interest in 8 years by investing $1 million? (I don't know much about this kind of stuff)

You wouldn't make $1 million inbank interest in that 8 years, but if you invested it wisely it definitely would be possible to make another $1 million in 8 years.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:16 PM   #29
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post

Bank interest wouldn't make $1M in 8 years unless you add in some sort of outside investment.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:16 PM   #30
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

economics and finance troll.jpg