MacInsiders Logo

Would you rather........

Old 01-15-2011 at 05:19 PM   #31
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Real estate is the only thing that you would never lose in! Due to recession, th property price had come down a bit, but it really hit the US more than Canada. It might be a bit unpredictable, due to the immigrants and increase in population, the net property cost has increased over the years buddy!
property cost may have increased but sales of homes have declined. Due to the sub prime crash in 2008, banks are more cautious when giving out loans (2010-2011 large amounts of foreclosures), and with increases in property taxes most people have begun renting. I would probably take the million and invest in a gas station/commercial property or buy Corn fields, the world is becoming increasingly dependant on corn and its likely to see relatively high ROI in the next 8-10 years.
Old 01-15-2011 at 05:33 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Is it possible to make $1 million through bank interest in 8 years by investing $1 million? (I don't know much about this kind of stuff)
If so, I'd choose option A.

If not, I'd choose option B.
"Saving accounts" are an absolute joke and an enormous marketing success for banks.

No one in their right mind would use bank account interest if they wanted real, comparable returns..

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-15-2011 at 05:42 PM   #33
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
property cost may have increased but sales of homes have declined. Due to the sub prime crash in 2008, banks are more cautious when giving out loans (2010-2011 large amounts of foreclosures), and with increases in property taxes most people have begun renting. I would probably take the million and invest in a gas station/commercial property or buy Corn fields, the world is becoming increasingly dependant on corn and its likely to see relatively high ROI in the next 8-10 years.
Well if you are gonna buy a house worth 500 thousand bucks, you are not gonna be dealing with a common joe. In the beginning, there will be few buyers, but GTA is a rich place and you would always find someone. A gas station, pretty much is gonna work like a house because you are only gonna make profit if you sell it. Otherwise, if you just gonna run it, you would have to buy a franchise and then net profit is around 40,000, which is not a lot. Corn field will be a good investment, if you want to live in a farm type of environment.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:02 AM   #34
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
economics and finance troll.jpg
Hey you didn't even put in the effort here!! Come on.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:13 AM   #35
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastergcdb View Post
Real estate is the only thing that you would never lose in! Due to recession, th property price had come down a bit, but it really hit the US more than Canada. It might be a bit unpredictable, due to the immigrants and increase in population, the net property cost has increased over the years buddy!
Real estate prices are beginning to fall now that interest rates will undoubtedly continue to rise. I would expect at least five years of falling prices. There's also the fact that the average Canadian has record debt, so the supply of buyers will continue to fall (if you do want to attract more buyers, you'll have to lower your price). It's extremely dangerous to put a significant chunk of your money in an illiquid investment like real estate. You're better off (and especially in a recession) to put your money into more liquid investments like bonds or ETFs. Also, the recession isn't the sole reason for falling prices. The recession started in late 2008 while the US real estate bubble burst in 2006/2007. Subprime mortgages had more to do with it than the recession.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:29 AM   #36
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Option A

Reason: 2012

Afzal, lawleypop like this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:42 AM   #37
camais

Liked: 30 Times

option A, and then buy 2-3 houses around mac and rent em out.
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:44 AM   #38
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Don't we also have to account for inflation? :S
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:56 AM   #39
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Option A obviously. There is just no comparison. An extra million is not worth waiting 8 years for.

1 Million:

10,000 for gadgets.
200,000 education
100,000 car
100,000 maintenance of the car
300,000-400,000 (?) for a house

Rest for investment + money from job = life is good :p
Old 01-16-2011 at 01:56 AM   #40
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by camais View Post
option A, and then buy 2-3 houses around mac and rent em out.
Thats a terrible idea, and a stressful one at that.
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:02 AM   #41
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

A!

I always love people that are patient and don't mind doing/having things RIGHT NOW!

Remind me of this one time where I ate a friend chocolate bar because he wanted to wait. Too bad for me though, the girl that gave him and I the original chocolate bar ended up feeling sorry for him and...
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:04 AM   #42
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln3 View Post
... and...
And?!?!!??!?!!?!?!!?!

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:09 AM   #43
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I like how most people plan on finishing school here and also buying a house and also trying to invest it to make more $$$.

If I had a million dollars, id quit school, move to either alaska or australia, buy a yacht and go fishing. thats it. LMFAOOOOOO ...

or just buy NX game cards and become uber pro in MS
Old 01-16-2011 at 02:11 AM   #44
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Option A.

You never know when you'll kick the bucket.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 01-16-2011 at 02:14 AM   #45
phln3

Liked: 22 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
And?!?!!??!?!!?!?!!?!
Isn't it obvious?