MacInsiders Logo

Wowzer..can't believe what I got

Old 01-04-2011 at 09:21 PM   #1
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Wowzer..can't believe what I got
Hello!

I am a first year life sciences student and as some of you know, it aint easy..well at least for me. lol

Anyways, I realize that I actually did decent in Bio 1A03..I can't believe how it turned out. I went into the Final with a 59% and then ended up with a C+ on the degree audit. Can you believe that, my grade went up by 8% from what I had before the Final! Yes, I did study for my exam but I never ever expected it to be that high cuz I walked out of the exam feeling like CRAP! It was a morning exam and I was droopy tired and couldn't function. Haha. This lead me to ask you upper years...

Does McMaster ever curve their grade??? More specifically, does anybody know if Bio 1A03 is bell curved? (I have a feeling that it is, I thought I bombed the test for real)

Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:28 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Not sure what happened in Bio 1A03, but some profs definitely raise final grades if they feel that the overall average was abnormally low for the course. I know Math 1A03 was significantly boosted last year since I thought I failed the course for sure but ended up with a B+
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:30 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

youre weolcome?
Old 01-04-2011 at 09:46 PM   #4
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
Not sure what happened in Bio 1A03, but some profs definitely raise final grades if they feel that the overall average was abnormally low for the course. I know Math 1A03 was significantly boosted last year since I thought I failed the course for sure but ended up with a B+
I think they might have raised the mark but maybe we are never meant to find out..
Old 01-04-2011 at 10:28 PM   #5
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
I think they might have raised the mark but maybe we are never meant to find out..
Well yeah, they won't tell us they did it because then they would essentially be admitting that they made the exam too hard and had to adjust grades to avoid mass failures
Old 01-04-2011 at 10:38 PM   #6
Mickel

Liked: 12 Times

Yes McMaster does curve grades and bump marks if the average is too low for the class. I don't think they keep it much of a secret or try to hide it. In fact, I've taken plenty of courses where the prof said outright that the average was too low on a test and they were bumping all the grades by x amount.
Old 01-04-2011 at 10:56 PM   #7
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Hello!

I am a first year life sciences student and as some of you know, it aint easy..well at least for me. lol

Anyways, I realize that I actually did decent in Bio 1A03..I can't believe how it turned out. I went into the Final with a 59% and then ended up with a C+ on the degree audit. Can you believe that, my grade went up by 8% from what I had before the Final! Yes, I did study for my exam but I never ever expected it to be that high cuz I walked out of the exam feeling like CRAP! It was a morning exam and I was droopy tired and couldn't function. Haha. This lead me to ask you upper years...

Well what can I say dear, mommy is proud !!

Old 01-04-2011 at 11:21 PM   #8
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

told her I ain't paying tonite I’m only browsin
she pulled her blouse up nd said “its free”, I said WOWZER!!!!
Old 01-04-2011 at 11:32 PM   #9
CAHopeful
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

i have two friends in life sci, they have 11.x averages (srs). they are by no means nerds, nor are they geniuses. they just study efficiently.
Old 01-04-2011 at 11:45 PM   #10
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHopeful View Post
i have two friends in life sci, they have 11.x averages (srs). they are by no means nerds, nor are they geniuses. they just study efficiently.
Wow, a first year?

pepperminte says thanks to jeboi7 for this post.
Old 01-05-2011 at 07:36 AM   #11
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Quote:
Wow, a first year?

my first year was my best year....
Old 01-05-2011 at 08:20 AM   #12
Kal El

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Hello!

Does McMaster ever curve their grade??? More specifically, does anybody know if Bio 1A03 is bell curved? (I have a feeling that it is, I thought I bombed the test for real)

Thanks guys
Well done that man. If McMaster is like any University in the UK, then there's be an expectation to show improvement for sure. Just keep a decent study ethic and you'll be fine though.
Old 01-05-2011 at 08:32 AM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Lol i assume this topic is to ask if bellcurving is used?

Answer is for most first year courses it IS used, unless the average is already decently high.
Old 01-05-2011 at 08:53 AM   #14
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Err, a bell curve is never used unless they've been doing it illegally.

Adjustments, however, are not illegal and likely made often to reach the average the professors want for the class.
Old 01-05-2011 at 09:03 AM   #15
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Err, a bell curve is never used unless they've been doing it illegally.

Adjustments, however, are not illegal and likely made often to reach the average the professors want for the class.
Math prof first year openly admitted to bell curving math first year, as well as one of my profs last year.