MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creative Writing Club? Faer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-06-2010 02:48 PM
Resume Writing 1A03 ferreinm Jobs & Employment Tips 2 07-23-2010 03:40 PM
Free Writing Workshop Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-08-2008 07:00 PM

Writing a book on Web Design

Old 05-02-2010 at 09:17 AM   #1
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Liked: 78 Times

Writing a book on Web Design
Hey all,

Just needed some input on something. One of my Summer goals is to write a book on web design (HTML and CSS) for beginners. The book will definitely not be a bible (lowercase "b") on web design, but be more of a stepping stone that would help people to get started quickly making their first website.

I'm just wondering if any of you would be interested in owning something like this (I'd probably offer it for a really low price in ebook format, as well as self-publish a hard copy through Lulu)? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should include in this book?

I know there are hundreds of books like this, but I want to start people off with good habits from the get-go and not teach them unnecessary things. And, mostly, I'm doing this for my own entertainment--it's one of my goals to publish a book (even if it's self-published).
Old 05-02-2010 at 09:51 AM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I wouldn't be interested since I already know HTML and CSS and I find anything I don't know can easily be discovered with a quick google search.

But the way you describe it, it sounds a little better than that HTML for dummies book. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 05-02-2010 at 10:12 AM   #3
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
I wouldn't be interested since I already know HTML and CSS and I find anything I don't know can easily be discovered with a quick google search.

But the way you describe it, it sounds a little better than that HTML for dummies book. XD
I actually mention in the intro to the book that I won't be going too far with some concepts, and to use Google and w3schools to delve deeper once the reader is done.

Even though you know both, do you think that some people you know who don't know HTML/CSS would be interested in something like this?

Keep in mind that the ebook would probably be something like $10 for quite a bit of stuff, definitely undercutting the competition (excluding pirated books ).
Old 05-02-2010 at 10:36 AM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I would buy it. Not an eBook though, only in print....
Old 05-02-2010 at 10:41 AM   #5
danallan

Liked: 27 Times

what a lofty summer goal!

good luck.
Old 05-02-2010 at 11:35 AM   #6
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

interesting goal. if it's for beginners you'd have to invest a large amount of time including images/screenshots of where everything is and for reference so they can understand it clearly.
reading giant pages of text to learn how to code is extremely exhausting and will definitely not keep the interest of beginners.

i personally wouldn't buy it, everything you really need to know as a beginner has been put out on the web.

how far do you planning on going with concepts?
Old 05-02-2010 at 11:40 AM   #7
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHX View Post
interesting goal. if it's for beginners you'd have to invest a large amount of time including images/screenshots of where everything is and for reference so they can understand it clearly.
reading giant pages of text to learn how to code is extremely exhausting and will definitely not keep the interest of beginners.

i personally wouldn't buy it, everything you really need to know as a beginner has been put out on the web.

how far do you planning on going with concepts?
Well, the scope of this book is probably going to vary as I write it. As of now, I plan to start off with a very, very simple obligatory "Hello World" example, then in an "Advanced Topics" chapter at the end introduce the reader to simple JQuery effects and perhaps some CSS3 animation.

I'm sticking to HTML 4.01 for this book, because it's been finalized. HTML 5 is still new, and once you know the concepts of 4.01, you can easily pick up on HTML 5 using http://diveintohtml5.org/
Old 05-02-2010 at 02:49 PM   #8
Forthex

Liked: 3 Times

Put in a small section on choosing fonts and good visual principles. When I see comic sans or gaudy colour combinations on a website I want to hurt the developer.
Old 05-07-2010
wahaneebelly
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-07-2010 at 08:28 AM   #9
aaront
CSD HYPE Web Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahaneebelly View Post
This book does nothing but have you reading code which is fine if you want to write code. The purpose of expression web is to cut down on writing html. I love how the code editor aids in the completion of tags in XHTML and I would love for it to do the same for HTML5. Is there an easy not time-consuming way to get Dreamweaver CS4 to recognize and work with HTML5 elements et al..
If you look at most of the sites you use, almost 99% of the time they are designed by coding. While Dreamweaver and Expression Web are good for simple sites, it's very hard to go any further than that. What's more, both of these products produce lackluster, unstandardized, and quite frankly, terrible code.

What I aim to do is show beginners the power of DIY in web design.
Old 05-07-2010 at 09:32 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Nice goal for the summer!

I would make it more of a 'tips and advice' type book if you aren't going to go into great detail. List off the sites you use for getting help and inspiration.

If you're actually going to show them how to setup a website, telling them how to code 'hello world' probably won't help much. While DIY and programming in PHP is nice, they won't want to 'code it from scratch' if they are super new to everything. Instead, show them how to use something like Wordpress to get started visually
Old 05-07-2010 at 12:16 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forthex View Post
When I see comic sans or gaudy colour combinations on a website I want to hurt the developer.
I don't understand why it's now a fad to hate the comic sans font. It's not that bad, and there are so many worse fonts out there. Have you ever seen "joker"?

Marlowe likes this.
Old 05-13-2010 at 08:07 AM   #12
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I don't understand why it's now a fad to hate the comic sans font. It's not that bad, and there are so many worse fonts out there. Have you ever seen "joker"?
It's funny, because I've seen in a few of HTML Books where the authors specifically warn people to avoid using comic sans =p.

As for OP, no probably not. I've got enough books, and to be honest, it's an already saturated market. If you're not introducing anything new, it'd probably not be of interest.

However, if you did HTML 5, I would probably reconsider. But you mentioned sticking to 4, so I probably wouldn't. Soz =(
Old 05-13-2010 at 09:51 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Comic Sans is ugly and makes any design look bad haha.
Old 05-13-2010 at 11:13 AM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I just bought a thick HTML intro book for 25 cents at the thrift store. GG.

LOL

Make your book look pretty when printed pls.