MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medrad science possibly writing MCAT? aw07 General Discussion 1 07-18-2011 06:16 AM
Mcat? Al-mansi General Discussion 6 10-16-2009 04:12 PM
Essay Writing Workshop - Sept 24th Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 09-25-2009 09:09 PM
MCAT Online Student-Run Website for Verbal and Writing Sections kadhia Academics 3 07-23-2009 06:50 PM

writing mcat in sept?

Old 05-05-2012 at 02:46 PM   #1
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

writing mcat in sept?
i will be taking a class in june-august 23rd and hopefully write the mcat in early september.
is there enough time for me to review/prepare after august 23rd? i would have about 2 weeks or so before the mcat.

also, would i not get my mcat scores back in time for applying if i write it in september?

there is another course offering in may 15th but i wanted to self-study first before i entered the class. just to prepare myself, remind myself of some of the materials so i'm not completely lost.

should i just take the class in june or the one in may?

any feedback/comment is appreciated : )

thank you!
Old 05-05-2012 at 02:59 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I think it depends on how much time you think you need. Personally, two weeks would be tooooooo short , but you might be fine. Something I would suggest would be starting now, keeping in touch with it during your summer courses, then doing a final review during those two weeks.
Good luck with your MCATs!

kwyhan says thanks to Zebedee for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 05:23 PM   #3
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

From knowing people of different background, I think 2 weeks is a little too short, but if you're reviewing properly through the summer and still know your stuff you should be cool
best of luck, future doctor

kwyhan says thanks to drpatel for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 05:38 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Are you talking about entering an MCAT class from june-august 23? When you say you want to self-study before entering the class, it sounds like the class you are talking about is an MCAT class, which would probably do a review of everything you needed to know.

If it is an MCAT class, you should be sufficient for taking the june-august 23 one. You should be ready to write it after taking these classes.

EDIT: If it is an MCAT class, they would probably assume you remember really little, hence they would probably do a review and why the entire course is so long.

kwyhan says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 05:44 PM   #5
kwyhan
Elite Member

Yes, entering MCAT class from june-august 23.. so after im done taking the class, i should be okay with reviewing a bit? I have science background.

and thank you all for the replies!
Old 05-05-2012 at 05:47 PM   #6
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

What I was trying to say is that, the MCAT course should adequately prepare you for taking the MCAT and all your review is essentially done in the course. So between the time you finish the MCAT course and your writing of the MCAT, you might buy some practice tests and work out some final issues.

kwyhan says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 05-05-2012 at 11:44 PM   #7
kwyhan
Elite Member

anyone else?
Old 05-06-2012 at 12:02 AM   #8
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

If you're taking a TPR etc. MCAT course, it's actually recommended you write the MCAT as soon as possible after the course ends. The facilitators believe that at the end of such a course (factoring in maybe a two day 'rest' break), you're at your optimal performance level. (Whether or not that's true is up to you)

That being said, if you make sure you don't slack off for those 2 weeks (perhaps drill yourself on VR passages, or write a full test every day or two, review the 'memory' portion (such as your list of hormones) but don't overstudy the sciences), then you should be just fine for the real thing in Sept.

If you write in Sept 2012, then your scores will be released directly to your schools (and you in the mail), in time for an application in August-October 2012. The one drawback however, is that you will be finishing and submitting your application before knowing how you did. But if you're confident in your abilities, this is a moot point.

Good luck!

EDIT: The reason I mention the 'not slacking off' bit, is because MCAT prep courses can be very draining, and anyone I know who took such a course (myself included) had spent all their resources doing the daily homework for 2 months, and then wound up snoozing and getting a bit lazy once it was done. (I too wrote the MCAT 2 weeks after my TPR course finished)

kwyhan says thanks to Incognitus for this post.
Old 05-06-2012 at 05:07 AM   #9
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

2 weeks is way too little time imo.
Old 05-07-2012 at 12:32 AM   #10
sdee

Liked: 8 Times

Personally I think that if you are going in with a science background, then the MCAT prep course will def be sufficient because they will do all the review with you, which should help you remember all the stuff!

Also, imo its prob better to do the course earlier that way you can spend your time focusing on the important things- cause if you're doing a prep course like TPR or Kaplan then its likely that they have more experience with sorting out the popular MCAT questions from the others.

Good luck with everything