MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TOP ART schools in Ontario/Canada jujumiste Academics 9 07-20-2010 01:06 PM
Ontario Ban on Cell Phones lorend MacInsiders Announcements 36 10-26-2009 01:22 PM
Ontario Med School Requirements Lois Academics 48 07-11-2009 09:17 PM
Smoke-free Ontario Act pinkshuniza Politics 20 03-08-2009 08:57 PM

WTF Ontario just got 40 million times worse

Old 11-05-2010 at 10:19 PM   #16
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
Okay then, so many of them will probably go back to their countries of origin. But if we can get even 2 of the 10 to stay they are easily going to the worth over $400000 to the canadian economy over the course of their career, thus offsetting costs of the scholarship. Likely we'd see even more than 2 of 10 staying though. this seems like a practical long term investment to deal with the shortage of doctors.
There are better ways of dealing with the shortage of doctors. Medical schools should take a more holistic approach when determining who receives admission. Canada loses on plenty of good doctors because they are unable to get into Canadian medical schools and are forced to go overseas and then practice in the United States.

britb, Commander like this.
Old 11-05-2010 at 10:28 PM   #17
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
There are better ways of dealing with the shortage of doctors. Medical schools should take a more holistic approach when determining who receives admission. Canada loses on plenty of good doctors because they are unable to get into Canadian medical schools and are forced to go overseas and then practice in the United States.
Plus, we don't have many doctors because we only accept European/American/Canadian medical doctors.

Besides Canadian doctors, there are a few Eruopean/American docotors who would practice in Canada but they are PLENTY of medical doctors in other countries who can do the job just as well.

Seriously, my Parents know a Moroccan guy who got his M.D in Morocco. He knows his stuff, and practiced for years but wanted to move in for his kid's education. Unfortunately, Canada doesn't accept diplomas from countries like Morocco, India, and so on.

Last edited by Commander : 11-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2010 at 10:32 PM   #18
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Plus, we don't have much doctors because we only accept European/American/Canadian medical doctors.
Call the grammar police!!
Old 11-05-2010 at 10:36 PM   #19
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Ok , so I made a mistake. I know that much is only associated with things that can be counted. For example, "much sex".
Old 11-05-2010 at 11:16 PM   #20
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander View Post
Plus, we don't have many doctors because we only accept European/American/Canadian medical doctors.

Besides Canadian doctors, there are a few Eruopean/American docotors who would practice in Canada but they are PLENTY of medical doctors in other countries who can do the job just as well.

Seriously, my Parents know a Moroccan guy who got his M.D in Morocco. He knows his stuff, and practiced for years but wanted to move in for his kid's education. Unfortunately, Canada doesn't accept diplomas from countries like Morocco, India, and so on.
What makes you qualified to determine if a doctor knows his stuff? Your parents knowing the guy?

britb likes this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:18 AM   #21
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Actually, compared to the states we're quite holistic. They're currently opening up more spots, but there's not enough training facilities for everyone.

Quote:

They can if they complete tests and retrain in a residency program.

Old 11-06-2010 at 01:21 AM   #22
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
A few days ago I was walking by BSB and I heard a group of Asians say "I didn't do so good."

/cringe.
Old 11-06-2010 at 01:24 AM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksym View Post
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Politics.../15969791.html

The basic idea is that while We face the highest tuition fees in the world, Ontario and Ontario universities are giving 40,000 dollar (PER YEAR) scholarships to foreign students.

Well they argue this will bring a huge revenue to Ontario as it did last year... my reply to that is: then take the revenue from last year and use it to give the scholarships instead of taking it from our tax dollars and tuition fees (which are growing at 5% a year already).

McGuinty can eat my
International students pay twice as much tuition fees as residents but I understand your sentiments. They should work on reducing overall tuition costs instead of this.

Last edited by Afzal : 11-06-2010 at 02:50 AM.

britb, lorend like this.
Old 11-06-2010 at 02:40 AM   #24
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
International students pay twice as much tuition fees as residents.

But I understand your sentiments. They should work on reducing overall tuition costs instead of this.
My American friends are paying 16k and I'm paying 4.3k. I'm quite certain it's closer to three times as much, in most cases...especially since schools usually don't have to regulate international tuition in terms of increases like they do for domestic students.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 11-06-2010 at 02:45 AM   #25
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
My American friends are paying 16k and I'm paying 4.3k. I'm quite certain it's closer to three times as much, in most cases...especially since schools usually don't have to regulate international tuition in terms of increases like they do for domestic students.
US citizens also pay Int'l fees? *Feels good*