MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bio 2c03 Dr.Campos...:( shimje Academics 6 08-17-2011 06:05 PM
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM

Xudong Zhu vs Ana Campos for Bio 1A03?

Old 06-07-2012 at 05:11 PM   #1
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Xudong Zhu vs Ana Campos for Bio 1A03?
Hey everyone. According to the master timetable, these two profs are teaching bio 1A03 along with Kajiura for the 2012-2013 year (Zhu in term 1, Campos in term 2). I don't know which one to choose.

I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of info about them? From what little I can find, neither of them are great. What are their strengths? Weaknesses? Are they willing to help you outside of class? Etc.

Thank you!
Old 06-07-2012 at 05:23 PM   #2
kimmykimkim

Liked: 1 Time

i personally had kajiura and zhu. nobody really liked her at all - she just reads off the slides for the entire class. the lecture hall was always full for each class when kajiura was teaching it, but after zhu came, in about 2 weeks, there were like 70-100 people left. but, while her lecture notes are sometimes quite long, they are very complete (maybe a little too complete), and very true to the textbook. you'll find that you won't really even need to read the textbook after reading her slides. i also think that her questions were really easy, especially if you read her notes and go to class. her questions are straight forward and clear. and if you give her a chance and go to lecture, she's actually not that bad. she's willing to answer questions, and in my honest opinion, she usually answers them well. i'm not sure about campos because i never had her. a lot of people dislike zhu, but i think that she deserves a tiny bit more credit than what people give her.
Old 06-07-2012 at 08:39 PM   #3
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Dr. Zhu was definitely the most boring prof I had this year. That being said, her slides are literally exactly what is in the textbook. So even if you don't go to class, you can learn all the material by reading the textbook/her slides. That being said, her test/exam questions are very easy. They don't really require much thinking and are on very basic topics. Her questions were much easier that kajiura's questions.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:25 PM   #4
jenpower

I loved Zhu. A lot of people thought she was boring or couldn't understand her because she has an accent, but she is brilliant. Yes, she reads off the slides, and they are exactly what's in the textbook, but people didn't give her enough credit.

If you go to office hours to talk to her, she is so helpful. Most helpful prof I had my entire year, actually. No one took advantage of her and she'd say that no one showed up to her office hours, which is sad. She really wants to help and the section she teaches is what her own studies focuses on. If you ever have any questions, go to office hours (not after the lecture is over up to the podium). She's really sweet.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:30 PM   #5
swarly

yeah don't get me wrong. when i said she was a boring prof, its just that I personally felt that she just read the slides. But she is a very good prof in that she is very helpful when you ask questions/go to her office and she really does want you to succeed.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:30 PM   #6
bumbum

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I've had both profs, but not for 1A03, so I don't know if what I've experienced from them will be the same for you..

Zhu is quite boring to listen to, but her notes were really detailed and all you needed to know were on them. Her test questions were very straightforward, so they're pretty easy if you know your stuff. I've never gone to her for help so I don't know how helpful she is.

Campos on the other hand, I found her a bit more interesting to listen to. She had more enthusiasm than Zhu. Her notes can be confusing, and they don't say much, so you'll have to listen and take notes. Her test question can be confusing and weirdly worded as well. She is very nice and approachable though.
Old 06-07-2012 at 10:09 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

No need to even go to this class if they post slides up. For Kaijura I would recommend you go since you need to fill out her notes in class and that is all you need for her midterm. For the second prof, all that have taught have posted slides on avenue. When this happens then no one goes. Zhu's exam questions were easy also and going to class was kind of a waste since you just needed to learn her slides before the exam.

EDIT: Also, don't worry about this course. If I were you, I would look into the Bop 1M03 profs if you're taking it and then put bio 1a03 in the term that doesn't have 1m03 in it. This year, first term Bio 1m03 was a joke, especially the first prof, but second term a new prof came and things got tough.
Old 06-07-2012 at 10:58 PM   #8
Quiver

Thank you, everyone. This has been really helpful!

Yes, I've been looking into 1M03 as well, and that isn't looking to great either... either Dudley/Stone or Quinn/Evans. I think I'm leaning toward Quinn/Evans. Who were your profs, Silver?

I found genetics/evolution kind of dry even in high school, though, so I'll probably not be fond of this class no matter who teaches it.

Last edited by Quiver : 06-08-2012 at 12:22 AM.

naval23 says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:54 PM   #9
jenpower

^ DO NOT get Quinn/Evans
They wrote the most ridiculous questions and their class apparently did way worse than first term class (they did second). Evans doesn't shut up about monkeys/frogs.
Evans had the weirdest questions, and would not give part marks for the life of me (after resubmission).
Quinn was easier on the questions but still, even after studying and reading the textbook, you get to the exam and go "...wtf?"

naval23 says thanks to jenpower for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-08-2012 at 12:21 AM   #10
Quiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpower View Post
^ DO NOT get Quinn/Evans
They wrote the most ridiculous questions and their class apparently did way worse than first term class (they did second). Evans doesn't shut up about monkeys/frogs.
Evans had the weirdest questions, and would not give part marks for the life of me (after resubmission).
Quinn was easier on the questions but still, even after studying and reading the textbook, you get to the exam and go "...wtf?"
That's what I hear/read, but the reviews and opinions about Dudley/Stone seem to be even worse. Seems to me like the first year lifsci kids are caught between a rock and a hard place...

naval23 says thanks to Quiver for this post.

Darknight23, naval23 like this.
Old 06-08-2012 at 01:14 AM   #11
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I can't comment on Dudley but Stone's midterm was a joke compared to Quinn/Evans midterm from what I heard. During lectures, Stone basically read the posted slides and unnecessarily changed some of the wording like "random" to "stochastic." The only tricky thing from Stone was his exam questions which had options like one statement is true, all statement are true, none of the above are true or something like that. Also, I would recommend taking BIO 1M03 during the first semester with Dudley/Stone and taking BIO 1A03 during second semester with Campos/Kaijura.

naval23 says thanks to Swampis for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:23 PM   #12
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Is it difficult having two bios in the same semester? Because I want Zhu for Bio 1A03 and Stone/Dudley for Bio 1M03 since I haven't heard great things about Evans.

Is the consensus to go with Zhu for Bio 1A03 if you're looking for an easier workload?
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:25 PM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady23 View Post
Is it difficult having two bios in the same semester? Because I want Zhu for Bio 1A03 and Stone/Dudley for Bio 1M03 since I haven't heard great things about Evans.
It's not recommended, but do-able. Just make sure you take an easy-ish elective that term and plan to work hard! Overall though, Bio 1A03 is more time consuming than 1M03 because of the labs (with the exception of the PBL project at the end of the term).

naval23 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:42 PM   #14
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Evan's is great, I dont understand why people dislike him so much... He talks a little fast but hes very enthusiastic and hes just a cool dude imo.

naval23 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

naval23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 01:48 PM   #15
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It's not recommended, but do-able. Just make sure you take an easy-ish elective that term and plan to work hard! Overall though, Bio 1A03 is more time consuming than 1M03 because of the labs (with the exception of the PBL project at the end of the term).
I'm taking Economics is that an easy elective? I didn't want to put math or physics for sem 1 because of the two bios.