MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Choosing 2nd year program hellohello Academics 4 06-14-2010 03:48 PM
Second Year and Program-less!?!? The MACster Academics 2 06-14-2010 03:48 AM
Second year science program macbaby07 Academics 1 06-03-2010 11:59 AM
Specializations - Thesis Doom? britb Academics 9 01-26-2010 11:09 PM

Year II Program Specializations

Old 12-14-2009 at 02:02 PM   #1
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Year II Program Specializations
Do any specializations for your year II program require supplementary applications and the like?

In specific, I'm referring to Chemical Biology and Biochemistry.

I tried finding the Chemical Biology site but I could only find this:

http://chembio.mcmaster.ca/

That's for the graduate program if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009 at 02:34 PM   #2
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times

You can check the course calendar for 2009-10 for that kind of info. Just click on the department that has the program you're interested in. It doesn't seem like you have any supplementary applications to fill out for BioChem or Chem Bio. Hope that helps!
Old 12-14-2009 at 03:01 PM   #3
dchan28

Liked: 1 Time

Hey there,

If I remember correctly, the Chemistry and Chemical Biology department will be distributing the Chem Bio flyers at the end of the Chem 1AA3 course next semester.

The requirements for both Biochem and Chem Bio are stated in the undergrad calendar as eycc111 posted above.

As for the undergrad website for Chem Bio, you can access that information here:
http://chembio.mcmaster.ca/ug_courses.html

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Oh, and if you have anymore questions regarding the Chem Bio program, feel free to PM me. I'm currently in the program, so I'd be glad to help. All the best on your exams!

Alchemist11 says thanks to dchan28 for this post.
Old 12-14-2009 at 03:30 PM   #4
dtemps

The Biochemistry and Chemical Biology programs do not require supplementary applications...But it wouldn't hurt to check with an academic adviser.
Old 12-14-2009 at 04:23 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Yep, the link you posted is for the graduate program Alchemist11. Check the link that eycc 11 posted, under Department of Chemistry, you'll find the Chemical Biology program. And I'm pretty sure there aren't any supplementary applications for either program.
Old 12-14-2009 at 04:23 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Well I did check with Dr. Landry, but he said he wasn't sure, so I just wanted confirmation.

But yeah, so it seems as though as long as I have the pre-reqs, which I do, then it's just up to grades.

Hey...D Chan, haha, thanks for the information so far. If you wouldn't mind, I also have a couple other questions...

I had heard someone talking about last year's Chemical Biology - more specifically second year, and having a) Bio-Analytical Chemistry and b) Inquiry together.

I had heard it had a high workload and whatnot. Do you have any information on that? Have they changed it at all or did you do the same thing?

Secondly, assuming I don't screw up second semester, lol, my GPA for applying should be some combination of 11s and 12s. Should I also really be looking at a lot of other programs, or do you think I have a solid chance to get in?

Thanks a lot for everyone who's helped thus far.
Old 12-14-2009 at 04:56 PM   #7
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Pretty much if you have a 9.5 + you're guaranteed to whatever you apply for - unless the program is more competitive to get into.
Old 12-14-2009 at 04:59 PM   #8
dchan28

Check your inbox, Alchemist11
Old 12-14-2009 at 08:15 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

It should also be important to note that that ChemBio and BioChem w/ Specialization are probably the most intensive science courses we have in our school and you really need to enjoy the material to thrive.

I know far too many people who have gone into those programs because it fills professional requirements or sounds smart that drop out or hate it later.

Alchemist11, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 12-23-2009 at 10:37 PM   #10
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
It should also be important to note that that ChemBio and BioChem w/ Specialization are probably the most intensive science courses we have in our school and you really need to enjoy the material to thrive.

I know far too many people who have gone into those programs because it fills professional requirements or sounds smart that drop out or hate it later.
Yup. Couldn't have said it better. This was especially the case with Chemical Biology this year where close to 10 of the 35ish students in Chemical Biology II dropped out/switched to other programs. We had close to 10 i think that also dropped out of Biochemistry II this year.

You have to really like what you are doing, and literally spend hours researching article on it or studying it, and that's just second year. Third year and on requires you to really love laboratory work if you're in a specialization
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:01 PM   #11
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Choose what you enjoy most because otherwise you'll be miserable. So first, ask yourself, what do you like? Really.

If you like chem, go chem. If you like memorizing, choose bio. If you like physics, pick physics. Math turns you on? Fine, do math.

If you're happy with what you do, your next 3 years will go much smoother.
Old 12-24-2009 at 01:04 AM   #12
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Tleilaxu is right, you have to love what you learn in order to be happy in it.

If you want more information on Biochemistry feel free to ask. I'm currently in that program and love every aspect of it - we have one of the most intense but really amazing laboratory courses - Biochemistry 2L06. It's in the teaching labs in HSC and though it emphasizes research, you get the chance to work with recombinant DNA, express it into a protein with a mutation in it and analyze it (PCR, SDS-PAGE, etc.). It gives you laboratory skills that a lot of other courses don't offer and the professors really guide you.

Also, if you're looking into the specializations such as Molecular Biology or the Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, even if you decide on one, you can always switch into another with permission. 2nd year is the same for all biochemistry students and I made the switch because I found out how passionate I was about the laboratory courses after so don't worry too much about the specific specializations within the major if you're uncertain.

Hope that gives you some idea.

Last edited by banjobee : 12-24-2009 at 01:11 AM.

Alchemist11 says thanks to Joann for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 11:11 AM   #13
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Well, if you really want me to be honest, and I have a feeling I'm like a lot of people but no one ever admits it: I want to do the least amount of hard work to get as far as I need to (graduate, med, etc).

With that being said, I'm NOT a fan of lab work...and I should have realized that out of all places McMaster would really emphasize research and lab-work in upper years, lol.

What do I like? I like all the sciences equally, I'd say. I wouldn't go into pure mathematics, though. And I have a feeling going into straight physics would be tough. I'll most likely go into a program relating to Biology and Chemistry. I'm just not sure which one anymore.
Old 12-24-2009 at 01:28 PM   #14
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

What about staying in Life Sciences?

You will have a lot more electives to choose from and that would allow you to have a mix of all types of science courses. It wouldn't be as intense as some other programs and would stay somewhat similar to the way 1st year runs.
Old 12-24-2009 at 05:19 PM   #15
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobee View Post
What about staying in Life Sciences?

You will have a lot more electives to choose from and that would allow you to have a mix of all types of science courses. It wouldn't be as intense as some other programs and would stay somewhat similar to the way 1st year runs.
+1. Agreed With Banjobee's comment.